• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: AVOX is out! Could this be the ultimate Choir tool?

Share/Bookmark

AVOX is out! Could this be the ultimate Choir tool?

http://www.antarestech.com/products/avox.html#choir

I'm curious about what the implications of this product is, particularly the Choir plug which supposedly makes 1 voice sound like as many as 32 different voices. Would this possibly allow a lowly composer like me to sing one epic sounding latin text line into my machine and have it come out sounding like VOTA?

Several times the issue has been brought up about whether or not it's practical to multitrack one individual a bunch of times to make him sound like a larger vocal ensemble.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this?

Also, I wonder how well it might do with solo vocal samples such as Bela D's DIVA....heck, I wonder what it might sound if you pass a solo violin through it!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Re: AVOX is out! Could this be the ultimate Choir tool?

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    [url]
    Several times the issue has been brought up about whether or not it's practical to multitrack one individual a bunch of times to make him sound like a larger vocal ensemble.
    The trick with megadubs (voices or instruments) is to use at least two instruments/voices on each pass, to get the interaction of live sound waves. Otherwise it just sounds like a double-track. It also helps to change microphones, move around the room relative to the mic, and in the case of instruments, to switch instruments on each pass. You can make completely convincing string section from two violins if you're careful. Three voices/instruments makes it all work that much better.

I've managed to create realistic choirs from only me and a woman vocalist, tediously building up all sections of the mixed chorus. We pulled it off by changing the timbre of our voices on each take and moving around, and using varispeed to subtly chipmunk or deepthroat certain tracks.

So where are the audio demos?

I haven't heard the AVOX Choir in action but from what I've read it seems to do pretty much what Clone Ensemble has been doing for years. CE also has a "gender-bending" feature which will let you build a mixed choir from a single voice. Windows only, unfortunately. There are some mp3 demos at the website:

www.cloneensemble.com

Personally, I'm more intrigued by the Throat module - looking forward to playing with the demo.

/Yoss

I was also very impressed by some of the clone ensemble demos which I flagged up on the Garritan forum some time back.

Listen to this, for example: -
    http://www.cloneensemble.com/power_of_reason.mp3

This is programmed by an individual in his spare time. There is a LOT of mileage left in this area if you think about some of the possibilities.

Frank

Why don't you try the demo? It's available at the Antares Site (and works without the iLok for 10 days).

After testing it on a new song, I have to say: I am a bit underwhelmed by the results. Probably it is my fault, and I should do more tweaking etc., but the 'instant' results that you get out of the box aren't really convincing IMHO. They do not sound like a VOTA, but like my voice sent through a chorus effect or a flanger etc.... Personally, I was really looking forward to this thing, but given the price and the results, I would probably prefer to buy something else instead (like Melodyne, for example - it's a different tool, but very helpful if you want to build background choirs easily).

As always, just my 2 c - there might be other, more positive opinions out there...

Hmmmmm....

All these things (Akai's DecaBuddy included on which I worked) sound very 'vocoded' to my ears. Very impressive technology for sure but..... !

IMHO of course

eh....I tested it, it's ok. I suppose it could be used judiciously to add more oomph to VOTA or other choir sounds....but I don't think it's as powerful for making one dude sound like 32.

Hear for yourself, here's a test using one of the lyrical patches from SOV, dry and then Choirized

http://www.musicbykays.com/clients/n...Duet%20Dry.mp3

http://www.musicbykays.com/clients/n...et%20Choir.mp3

There's a nasty clicking and popping in the wet version that I was not able to make go away.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Yea, I just downloaded the demos and tested it on a male vocal track. I can see it being a cool "effect", and with some tweaking I actually got the doubler to sound pretty good, especially when I randomly automated the pitch and timing parameters. But a real double, it ain't. I get better results using Melodyne, but that takes time and effort. This was pretty easy, I'll admit. I could see buying this plug-in for this alone, not because it gives better results, but because you can get usable results quickly.

The choir effect is just that.... an effect. It's not a choir, in the least. It actually sounds a lot like the single vocal being pumped through many short slapback delays.

The "throat" plug-in is intriguing. I think it will find it's nitch as an effect, not as a serious tool. But the possibilities are certainly there...

The De-esser, believe it or not, was actually the best thing in there, if you ask me. If you need a decent de-esser plug-in, I might recommend this, based on what I heard just now. The fact that you get the other stuff with it is icing on the cake!

When testing it, I had the impression that it is not much better than Steinbergs Voice Machine (which I sold some years ago) - maybe the results are a little bit more convincing, but basically, I felt that this plug in suite is usable for quick demos and sketches, but not for some serious stuff. Probably I would not be that underwhelmed if the price would be lower; but given the high price of this thing, I expected really convincing results. I tested the AVOX plug ins agains some of the Channel Strip settings included in Logic, and I had the feeling that AVOX does not add a lot of possibilites to what you can do with already existing (and cheaper or even free) effects. And if it's the de-esser that you are looking for: Well, I guess you can get a cheaper de-esser (500 to 600 dollars for the native version would be sufficient to buy some Waves stuff or tons of plug ins from independent developers...).

Again, this is just my *personal* opinion, and I would be very happy if somebody would show me that I am wrong and that AVOX can really alter the way in which I work with vocals (because that's what I was hoping for...).

Go Back to forum