• Register
  • Help

Topic: Out of the Woodwork - Seeking opinions

Share/Bookmark

Out of the Woodwork - Seeking opinions

Hey all,

I've been composing up a storm lately, but haven't posted much new for awhile. I thought I'd post this because I consider it striking and unusual, and I wanted to get a few reactions to it.

Out of the Woodwork - 4.54 MB

It's a frantic and overwhelming piece blending big orchestral textures and driving rhythmic electronic sounds. It borrows somewhat from Minimalism, but doesn't belong in that category itself. Best when played at maximum volume!

GPO:
    Woodwinds in pairs (+fluttertongue flutes); 4 horns; contrabass tuba; piano; marimba; crotales; bass drum

Other:
    Reaktor (4 instances); StormDrum; percussion samples

Please let me know what you think about any aspect of this piece, compositional, orchestrational, production, etc. Harsh criticism is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Out of the Woodwork - Seeking opinions

Bumping this one...
    - Jamie Kowalski

Jamie,

I thought it was interesting during the first 30 secs, but not enough changed on the 3 minute piece to capture my attention.

Too repetitive for my personal tastes. But then, I am no fan of trance or electronica anyway...and that's kind of what this sounded like to me.

---Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Bumping this one...
    I find this very suitable for a film/video underscore soundtrack.
    timelapsed photography,
    time travel,
    millions of fast moving insects,
    crowded city streets with people and machines bustling about
    trying to escape from a predator etc...

very hypnotic...I be hypnotized
    Bosco Adama

I agree it would work well as an accompaniment to a film or something. By itself it doesn't seem to capture my interest as much.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Jamie,

Well, I liked it! I think part of the problem people have with it is not the minimalistic approach, but the dynamic one. The initial idea is very good, and it is quite effective when the sustained chords enter; if there were more swells and tapers with the chords, and perhaps a longer range dynamic goal, I think it would change the piece a lot.
    Repetition is a wonderful thing, but the line between hypnotic and boring is a very fine one. NOT that this was boring - just pointing out (what you already know) that this kind of super repetition is hard to pull off.
    You've got a good idea, and a good start.

Round two?

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama
    I find this very suitable for a film/video underscore soundtrack.
    timelapsed photography,
    time travel,
    millions of fast moving insects,
    crowded city streets with people and machines bustling about
    trying to escape from a predator etc...

very hypnotic...I be hypnotized
    I forgot to mention that I like it also...it was meant to be a positive review.
    Bosco Adama

Hello Bosco,

I enjoyed listening to your music.
    I enjoyed the low timpani sounds[or bass drum?], - they kind of evoke this sense of spaciousness and add a sense of mystery to the music. The contrast of the melodic ostinato, with the unexpected harmony from the rest of the orchestra was very effective.
    Thank you for the music.

Bwah, I thinks it's great!

This would be very good for particular film pieces... maybe the pyschotic type films...

Yeah...

*becomes hypnotized*

Thanks for the comments, all.

Yes, I should have mentioned this was envisioned as a soundtrack, and would benefit greatly from visuals, but I like it without as well. I also recognize that this may not be the best possible audience for this style of music (though I'm not sure there is a best audience for it). I did, however, want to share this a demonstration of practical uses of GPO aside from strict orchestral emulation.

Quote Originally Posted by steve martin
    I enjoyed the low timpani sounds[or bass drum?], - they kind of evoke this sense of spaciousness and add a sense of mystery to the music.
    Thanks! It's the GPO bass drum, which I consider an excellent sample! As I usually do, I compressed the BD quite a bit, which gives it a tremendous "whomp!"
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum