• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Samples of basic synthsizers. How to get them

Share/Bookmark

Samples of basic synthsizers. How to get them

Writing for years scores with mixed acoustic-electronic orchestrations I switched recently to GPO (nb. I still cannot get used to its fantastic sounds) and - of course - I found myself with no replacement for electronic instruments I used (basic GM synthesizers plus synth drums). Native Instruments have some *.nki samples of synthesizers but to get them you have to buy first a full version of Kontakt, which for me is pure waste of money. Now a question: any idea (any at all) how to get the samples of GM synthesizers in *.nki format?
    Will be extremely grateful for help.
    Witold

Re: Samples of basic synthsizers. How to get them

Quote Originally Posted by wsuryn
    Writing for years scores with mixed acoustic-electronic orchestrations I switched recently to GPO (nb. I still cannot get used to its fantastic sounds) and - of course - I found myself with no replacement for electronic instruments I used (basic GM synthesizers plus synth drums). Native Instruments have some *.nki samples of synthesizers but to get them you have to buy first a full version of Kontakt, which for me is pure waste of money. Now a question: any idea (any at all) how to get the samples of GM synthesizers in *.nki format?
    Will be extremely grateful for help.
    Witold
    Witold,

There is a chance that you haven't heard of VSTs but there are hundreds of VST synths......more than you'll ever have time to even try and a lot of them are free/shareware.

This is probably the best known source of info:

http://www.kvraudio.com/

Alternatively just search for "synth VST" in Google.

Good luck.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Witold,

There is a chance that you haven't heard of VSTs but there are hundreds of VST synths......more than you'll ever have time to even try and a lot of them are free/shareware.

This is probably the best known source of info in kvraudio
    Alternatively just search for "synth VST" in Google.

Good luck.

Frank
    Thanks Frank. I tried quickly to have a look at the stuff and I found what you had warned me about: hundreds. Technical question although would be how to plug a VST synth into *.nki collection of instruments. As for example, my need would to load strings into one instance of GPO Studio's Kontakt and a polisynth into another. I may be wrong, but to my knowldge this operation recognizes only *.nki format. So to keep the problem KISS the question is how to get a synth understood as an instruments (like f.e. violin) in *.nki format from VST format?
    Or maybe I overlook something?
    Thx Witold

You can't load a VST synth into the Kontakt player. That isn't what it's for.

I assume you're using a sequencer that supports plug-ins. You'll need to open an instance of the VST synth within your sequencer, and run it seperately from GPO.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Witold, the other way is to use one of the free VST hosts which will allow you to play your VST plugins.

Here is an example of an 'un-free' one called Chainer:

http://www.xlutop.com/html/shop.html

Also, look at page 75 of the following 'Computer Music magazine' article to see other suggestions. The earlier pages of this issue also cover some cheap/free VST synths too.

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/pdf/f...eapthrills.pdf

Good luck

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Witold, the other way is to use one of the free VST hosts which will allow you to play your VST plugins.

Here is an example of an 'un-free' one called Chainer:

http://www.xlutop.com/html/shop.html

Also, look at page 75 of the following 'Computer Music magazine' article to see other suggestions. The earlier pages of this issue also cover some cheap/free VST synths too.

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/pdf/f...eapthrills.pdf

Good luck

Frank
    Seems to me I was not precise enough. I do not seek another soft-synthesizer, I already have one in form of GPO Studio's Kontakt. What I need is SAMPLES of synthesized sounds (patches) like f.e. polysynth or Pad6 or Halo (sounds available even in such low quality synths like Microsoft's GS Wavetable stuff). And to be loaded into Kontakt they must be in *.nki format.
    Anybody has something like that or knows where such samples could be found/bought?
    Witold
    PS. I have all the necessary collection in soundfont format (*.sf2) but cannot find a coverter that would change it into *.nki

Quote Originally Posted by wsuryn
    PS. I have all the necessary collection in soundfont format (*.sf2) but cannot find a coverter that would change it into *.nki
    You don't need to. I know you say you don't want another softsynth, but really it's the easiest way. Get a soundfont player VST, such as sfz (free!) The MIDI tracks you want to play through GPO, route them to the GPO player. The ones you want to use soundfonts on, route them to the soundfont player. As far as I know, all the modern sequencers do let you use multiple softsynths of different types simultaneously.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Don't forget that the new Overture 4 notation programme allows you to host several different VSTi at once. With this facility I have downloaded Sfz and a sampled steel strung acoustic guitar available free at one of the website already mentioned above, and a large number of new possibilities have opened to me. Check out the demo, then jump into to OVe 4 quick before the half price pre-release deal expires end of September.

Actually, the site where I picked up the guitar was not the one listed above. it was this one http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php?page=sdet&id=6513. New sounds by the hundred there. Just register, search and plunder.

Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    Actually, the site where I picked up the guitar was not the one listed above. it was this one http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php?page=sdet&id=6513. New sounds by the hundred there. Just register, search and plunder.
    Thanks to all of you. Once again our group knowledge helped a guy to think and find a solution. In my case it was always there: Yamaha'a S-YXG50 soft-synth resides in my machine for last several years and Sibelius was showing it to me all the time but I stubbornly kept it off. It was enough to put it on and assign required channel to it and voila! - it works.
    Again thanks. I feel somehow in debt to Forum so if there is anything I could share from my 7 years of fighting with Sibelius, just ask. Perhaps it would be of Forum's interest to be presented a short tutorial on how to use GPO keyswitch control in Sibelius without making mess of your partition. The way is very elegant, flexible and rather smart. If anyone is interested - I will put in on Forum.
    Witold

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast