• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Rex2 Files in Stylus RMX

Share/Bookmark

Using Rex2 Files in Stylus RMX

Hello,

I need some insight in regards to using Rex2 files in Stylus RMX. I understand how Rex2 is sliced audio. I also watched the video on using the Sage converter. I understand these concepts. I was wondering if someone could explain the added functionality that I would gain running the Rex2 files in RMX. I am using Cubase SX 3 as my host. Actually, I can drop the Rex2 files directly into a track. If I run the Rex2 files in RMX, is there a midi track created that I can drop into a midi track in my host? If not, is it just realtime playback? Does the play button initiate a loop to play back? Does playing a note on the keyboard trigger loop playback? I recently purchased Stylus RMX. I'm learning, but I'm not clear on this topic.

Thanks,

Ron

Re: Using Rex2 Files in Stylus RMX

REX2 files converted to RMX suites has a number advantages over the REX format.

First, you can instantly transposed pitched material. Second, I really like the RMX auditioning environment... being able to audition so much material so quickly is really revolutionary. Also, I like manipulating MIDI notes much more than I do actual audio slices to create new patterns (after you've drag/dropped the MIDI file from RMX). Lastly, all of the RMX features and FX are available once your REX file is converted into an RMX suite (edit groups, chaos designer, cool reverbs and delays, etc...).

The biggest advantage to me is the ability audition so much material so quickly... Once I know what I want to use, I could actually use either format to achieve the results I want, but getting there quickly, while the trajectory of the vibe is still intact, is what makes RMX so valuable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rsarja
    Hello,

I need some insight in regards to using Rex2 files in Stylus RMX. I understand how Rex2 is sliced audio. I also watched the video on using the Sage converter. I understand these concepts. I was wondering if someone could explain the added functionality that I would gain running the Rex2 files in RMX. I am using Cubase SX 3 as my host. Actually, I can drop the Rex2 files directly into a track. If I run the Rex2 files in RMX, is there a midi track created that I can drop into a midi track in my host? If not, is it just realtime playback? Does the play button initiate a loop to play back? Does playing a note on the keyboard trigger loop playback? I recently purchased Stylus RMX. I'm learning, but I'm not clear on this topic.

Thanks,

Ron
    Hi Ron

I too am learning everyday but I think I may be able to help. Or just confuse you even more .. you be the judge.

If you take your rex2 files/samples and simply drop them in RMX, then RMX will simply play your sample back and yes you can drag and drop those files from RMX into your host as midi data. However, in order to take advantage of all that RMX has to offer, it's best to use some creativity and a slicing program such as Recycle to find the best slice points in that sample to slice & dice a great sounding loop in return providing RMX with slices with which to manipulate using all of RMX's tools. So in Slice Mode, dragging and dropping the midi file from RMX to your host will present you with a midi file comprised of however many slices you chose to break your rex2 file up into. In groove mode, you would just see the one midi note triggering the playback of the entire sample.
    So to answer the questions ...

yes there is a midi track created for your rex2 file when inputed into RMX. If you do not take time to separate your sample into several slices, then the midi file dragged into your host from RMX will indicate one midi note, essentially the entire file representing a "slice". You can still take advantage of RMX's tools, but the entire sample will be effected. Kinda nice to be able to tweak and freak separate slices within your loops, especially with the Edit Groups feature.

The play button will initiate the sample (however it is setup) to playback ... if your file isn't setup to loop, then it won't sound like a looped file ... this is where Recycle comes in

Yes the midi controller can trigger your sample to play back .. in Slice Menu mode, you would trigger each slice chromatically .. and in Groove Menu Mode, you would trigger the entire sample file to play regardless of how many slices it has ..

So .. i think that covers it ... I hope I don't have things horribly messed up .. in which case I apologize .. I'm sure someone will come in behind me and give the Yay or Nay on my post

Hope it helps

Basically RMX treats any REX file just like the internal ones in that it gives you full control over every single slice in a REX file.
    You can have different settings for effects and the whole synthengine for each slice in a loop.
    Pretty powerful stuff.
    The only difference is in the sound quality when you slow the loops down.
    Spectrasonics Groove controlled loops show no artifacts even at half speed.
    REX files sometimes dont sound that great at such extreme temposettings.
    Depends on the loop and the expertise of the person who did the REXing.

You can drag the midifile of the REX file from RMX to your arrangewindow and modify the MIDI data there.
    In Groove menu MIDI Mode you can trigger the loops from a single key.
    The play button can be automated either by using MIDI learn or the track automation of the host.
    Not sure about Cubase but in Logic the RMX play button shows up on the top of the list of automatable parameters.

best
    Hans

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I think that answers all of my questions. Actually, does anybody own Drums On Demand? I was considering purchasing some of them. They have a Rex2 version.

Ron

I bought the drums on demand, but haven't used them yet.
    apparently there is a problem for some odd metered loops when the sage converter 1.1 is used to take them into rmx....this will be fixed in 1.2 which I have been eagerly awaiting for MONTHS!!!!!! :-)

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Go Back to forum