• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: acoustical treatment options?

Share/Bookmark

OT: acoustical treatment options?

Hi there,

In my 270 SF project studio I have been using some self made 4" - 3 lb density battens for bass traps and thinner panels for diffussion. While they have done the job, I have tired of the 'look' of the studio using these (somewhat clunky - 'made by me' treatments.)

Can someone recommend the most cost effective supplier of a kit for a room this large?

Of course Auralex is a known quality supplier. But this Roominator Deluxe Plus 'kit' for a room about my size is $700+. Seems high - any competitive alternatives?

http://www.auralex.com/sound_control...deluxeplus.asp

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT: acoustical treatment options?

Hey Rob
    In my studio I built wooden frames, I guess they're 4x2. I stuffed them with fiberglass insulation and stretched nice looking fabric over them. They look like blank paintings...rather nice...and dampened down the reflective sound very effectively.

Auralex is actually priced quite competitively.

ASC is another good company. Their stuff isn't foam and therefore is more expensive, but it's high quality.

Ethan Winer has a company that makes bass traps. I wish I could think of its name...

And I wouldn't muffle the side walls the way Auralex shows. Deaden the room at the front if necessary. The old "anywhere you can see the speakers in a mirror needs killing" technique is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    And I wouldn't muffle the side walls the way Auralex shows. Deaden the room at the front if necessary. The old "anywhere you can see the speakers in a mirror needs killing" technique is wrong.
    Hey Nick, thanks for the reply. I have always heard that this 'mirror trick' (sit in your monitor chair and have someone run a large mirror - where ever the reflection of the monitor is 'seen' by the person sitting in the seat - that's where sound absorption or diffusion is required (there is an argument as to diffuse or absorb )

In any case why is this a problem? I do agree, that whenever possible that diffussion is better. When I am in a highly 'damped' room my ears get tired (probably because I am always looking for more highs).

Anyways -- would appreciate your opinion on this.

Rob - I like your idea but I am not sure it handles the 'bass trapping' needed in most rooms in the corners. What did you do for this? Perhaps doing this 2x4 idea with the Auralex Leard corner fills is the answer.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

nope you're right; they won't help with low frequency build up in corners.
    I haven't done anything about that yet and I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    nope you're right; they won't help with low frequency build up in corners.
    I haven't done anything about that yet and I need to.
    Rob - if only have little funds to do this I have used insulation (R-19) and rolled it up and stuck this in the corners on studios in the past. Fast cheap solution. From what I understand for those trouble low freq's - mass is what is needed in the corners.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

thanks Rob!

No Problem. One other low budget bass trap is buying those 10-12" circular concrete tube forms (think large toliet roll tube) - stuff the R-19 in there - stand them in the 4 corners.

Now if you have some artistic yearnings you could paint them to flavor, hang family pics on them, wrap them in fabric, etc.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Oddly enough, last night I received my shipment of the Auralex LENRD bass traps!

Weird huh?

Anyhoo, I think that bass traps are probably the most important improvement that people can do to their rooms since it's one of the trickiest parts of getting a good mix down.

I agree with Nick (now that I think about it I think I agree with him just about all the time) about trying to avoid over-deadening a room. One of the best things to do is to go tour some nice studios in your town. Listen to the ambience in the control rooms, it's never dead. A well tuned control room is always a bit live and has a good natural amount of ambience while feeling very comfortable to the ears.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Rob, the best explanation for this is on www.Moultonlabs.com - Dave Moulton's website.

The conventional wisdom is that side reflections "comb filter" with the "direct sound" coming from the speakers. Actually that's been proven false.

First, comb filtering only happens when the sounds arrive at different times from the same angle (proof: you can localize sounds all day long in the most reverberant rooms imaginable). That's why you deaden the wall behind the speakers.

Second, the speakers are actually functioning as first reflections - they're not behaving like the direct sound, i.e. the instruments that have been recorded. Clean reflections from the side walls actually help the imaging - they help you "hear the speakers."

The fly in that ointment is that most speakers have very limited dispersion, so what happens 90 degrees away from them isn't really all that important anyway.

I have some of an ASC Mix Station (http://www.acousticsciences.com/mixstation/index.html) up in my room, but the side baffles are behind the speakers' front planes; between that and two flat panel monitors, the effect is the same as front absorption.

Go Back to forum