• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Volume controls and Finale

Share/Bookmark

Volume controls and Finale

I use GPO (full version) with Finale 2005 (I hesitstate to switch to 2006 too soon because of several problems with GPO, also mentioned on the Finale-forum).
    My main problem in playing back orchestral scores at this moment is making settings for volume. Volumes are not controllable in a consistent way for me. It seems to have to do with the modulation wheel. Sometimes when I open a GPO set-up that sounded right when I saved it, the volumes of several instruments are much lower than before. Then when I just touch the modulation wheel (either on my keyboard or on the "player display") the volume increases dramatically, but not to the level I had before. Then I can make new adjustements with the volume button on the display but they seem not to be saved for later. Of course I am aware that Finale's Human Playback (HP) is affecting the volume levels in playback (I have made dynamic expressions affect the velocity; this should be translated by HP in the right GPO modulation-wheel settings). But it is essential to be able to make general level settings for the separate staffs that stay there and are not lost every time.

To add one more example of the volume control problems I experience:
    when I adjust the volume for a certain instrument in the GPO player, as soon as I start playback in Finale that adjustement is lost and the volume button is automatically turned back to a default position.
    This makes it impossible for me to set the levels right. How to set these levels?

Can somebody inform me how to handle this?

(NB please don't reply to me that this is fixed in Finale 2006 since 2006 has other major problems with GPO that keep me from installing it at this moment)

thank you,

Maarten

Re: Volume controls and Finale

Quote Originally Posted by mvnorden
    (...)when I adjust the volume for a certain instrument in the GPO player, as soon as I start playback in Finale that adjustement is lost and the volume button is automatically turned back to a default position.
    This makes it impossible for me to set the levels right. How to set these levels?
    Hi Maarten,

This is very simple: In GPO Studio/Options, you need to uncheck the option "Use Std. CC#7 and CC#10 Volume and Pan", and then restart GPO Studio. From that time on, the Pan and Volume are controlled by GPO Studio, not Finale 2005.
    Also, if you use Human Playback, don't forget to check "Optimize for GPO" in HP prefs.

(...)since 2006 has other major problems with GPO that keep me from installing it at this moment)
    I don't know what you mean. GPO and Finale 2006 doesn't have major problems, this is just untrue. Finale 2006 has some playback bugs, but they concern GM SoftSynth palyback. Other 2006 users will certainly confirm this.

Best regards,
    Robert

I can confirm that there are no problems with GPO playback. As a matter of fact the difference between Human Playback on 2005 and 2006 is like night and day. I highly recommend the upgrade.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Unhappy Re: Volume controls and Finale

Mister Piéchaud,

1) thank you for your reply, but your advise does not help. The "Use Std.CC#7 .....and Pan" option was already unchecked, and checking or unchecking it again (including restart) does not make any difference. So any volume-settings I make in the GPO player are immediately overruled as soon as I start playback. At the moment i start playback, I see the volume-button and the pan-button in the player window go to a different level, probably the "Base value for Instrument Volume" level.
    Even worse: when I reload GPO players after a new start of the GPO, all volumes are brought back to an almost unhearable low level, and I have to touch the (virtual) modulation wheel for every instrument to restore audible levels. If I don't touch the modulation wheel, turning the volume button has no effect at all.

2) I did check "Optimise for GPO" all the time. But what do you suggest me to do with "Use modulation wheel for volume", "Optimise velocities", "Attack base value", "Base value for Instrument Volume" (and also HP ignore/incorporate/no-effect for volume, vel.,start/stop/tempo ?)

3) about 2006: I have been informed that apart from installation problems for Mac and volume-fluctuations (see J. Tenney on the Finale forum) there are also problems with using the GPO full version instead of the limited version that comes with 2006. Has this been solved already?

4) is this the only way to find answers to my urgent questions or is there a good manual ?

Maarten

The problem with GPO and Finale 2006 is mainly that you can't use anything else alongside GPO. At least not if you are using it internally in Finale via AU. I, among many other users, had been hoping to be able to combine the GPO sounds with sounds from an external midi device, but it seems that there's some deal between GPO and MM to make this impossible. This has been discussed almost to death on the Finale forums...

Now that I am resigned to being stuck w/ GPO only, I'm trying to make the best of it. I'm using Finale 2006 w/ GPO full, and slowly getting some good results. But I am also having terrible volume problems. Some instruments are inexplicably too quiet, despite being marked F or FF. I have HP on, and I think I have everything optimized correctly. And some instruments are so loud they're distorting (most notably the flute). I've tried to control the mod wheel with an expression, but it doesn't seem to help at all. Any advice would be most welcome.

Are you using instruments loaded from the "notation" folder in GPO?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Are you using instruments loaded from the "notation" folder in GPO?

Jeff
    I sure am. Still, weird volume levels abound - I can barely hear my xylophone!

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I can confirm that there are no problems with GPO playback. As a matter of fact the difference between Human Playback on 2005 and 2006 is like night and day. I highly recommend the upgrade.
    How do you control the volume levels?

Maarten

Tom,

Using the Notation folder is fine with Finale 2005/HP as well. The differences between the Notation folder and the standard instruments are basically:

- Unified KS
    - cc68 for legato (vs. cc64)
    - New KS for damped timpani/bass drum and harp (vs. cc64)

None of these features are supported by Finale 2005/HP, so this doesn't make any difference.

R.

Mr. Piéchaud,
    could you please answer my initial questions (as posted in my first two texts) ? You seem to be the only person around who knows about the working of GPO with HP. I am completely stuck in my project at this moment, because I can not make volume-settings that stay the way I want them.
    Yesterday I talked on the phone with Jeff from the GPO helpdesk in the US. He said that actually the volume and pan buttons on the GPO "players" do not function at all and settings for them are not saved. I should instead control volumes through HP, by the use of dynamic expressions.
    Is that right?
    In that case, how do I finetune the balance between instrument volumes, and how do I set the panning for the different instruments?
    What are the default settings for the playback effect of dynamic expressions (like f, ff, mp, pp etc.) in order to work with GPO through HP ?
    A lot of urgent questions, but there is no other place to find answers so I hope you can answer me.

Maarten

Go Back to forum