• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sound card advice

Share/Bookmark

Sound card advice

Hi, all

I have just built a new machine and have just about recovered from the lightning strike that wiped out all my computers. (see the thread in the Demos,Midi forum).

Much to my dismay, it turns out that all of the soundcards (except for an old SBLive card) that were installed in my machines blew!

I have installed the SBLive card, but without ASIO support the latency is horrible!

The main card that I lost was an EMU 0404. This card was not too bad (slight latency issue) but it had a really clean sound.

Since I must start all over with sound cards, what is everyone's recomendations for use with GPO? My new box is an AMD 2700+ with 2 gigs of memory. My primary sequencer is Sonar 4, and my notation software is Finale 2001 and Sibelius 3.

Obviously, with replacing all three of my computers, I really don't want to get in too deep price-wise for a sound card.

Thanks in advance.
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

Re: Sound card advice

There is a little freebie driver app called asio4all that will work with SB Live! Search on that keyword to find the download URL somewhere in this forum.

However I do not recommend it unless you have a screamer system. I still have the SB Live! as my only soundcard and was using that driver a couple months ago. It caused huge CPU usage that prevented me from playing groups of more than a dozen instruments. Finally a kind wizard on this forum advised me to switch to MME in the GPO Studio and that solved the problem. Latency isn't an issue for me since I have no external MIDI hardware. Of course it means I can't use the onboard SB synth sounds and GPO at the same time.

I have an EMU 1212M on order, coming next week. Goody. The noise numbers look terrific. The Soundblaster is easy to use but I think it is probably responsible for some awful scratchy noise that ruin my strings and occasionally some other instruments.

Watch Ebay for 0404 prices; I've seen them go for around $60-65 lately, used. Refurbished cards from Creative or EMU go for $80 (see Ebay stores or the EMU.com bargains shop). The 1212M is twice that; mine's coming from Novo Musik in the Mdwest, $175 through Ebay including UPS ground.

Thanks for those tips. I have tried the freebie ASIO4all driver. It still is giving me about a 1/4 second lag, which is better then the 1/2 second I get with MME or WDM, but it is still awful when playing in parts in realtime. I hadn't thought about looking for a refurbished card. I may check that out.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith
    There is a little freebie driver app called asio4all that will work with SB Live! Search on that keyword to find the download URL somewhere in this forum.

However I do not recommend it unless you have a screamer system....
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

While checking into soundcards, I came across this one
    M-AUDIO 9900 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
    Has anyone tried this card with GPO?
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

I use an M-Audio FW410 with its own ASIO driver and works perfectly, no latency at all, I also used this sound card with SONAR4 with excellent results too, highly racomed it.

I did lots of research before buying my sound cards and like youeself asked around and in the end I went for the FW410, no regrets so far:-)

Take care

Max

Thanks to both Maximvs and Prince of Music. I'll check into the 410 even though I have never used Firewire in the past. Thanks for all the help.
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

Just thought I'd mention this:
    If you ever plan to get Gigastudio...EVER, then you should probably get a GSIF compatible card. Gigastudio can be used via rewire with Sonar, but if you have the GSIF card you can also use Gigastudio standalone.

I'm building a new maching and will get the Audiophile 24/96.

Just thought I'd chime in!
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by billwright-pwa
    While checking into soundcards, I came across this one
    M-AUDIO 9900 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
    Has anyone tried this card with GPO?
    I can't find any such card -- though NewEgg lists just about every M-Audio product with its model number beginning with 9900, rather than the actual product name (for example, the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, which I use, is listed as the "M-AUDIO 9900-40752-00 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card").

I love the Delta 1010LT, by the way. I liked it so much I bought a second one for my mobile recording computer.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Thanks,Godfrey.

I only listed the first part of the model number (9000). I will need to retrace my steps to find it again. It was being offered at $99.00. I read some good things about the card you are referring to.

Just a side note...I wonder how many people on the board are old enough to identify the person in your picture profile!

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    I can't find any such card -- though NewEgg lists just about every M-Audio product with its model number beginning with 9900, rather than the actual product name (for example, the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, which I use, is listed as the "M-AUDIO 9900-40752-00 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card").

I love the Delta 1010LT, by the way. I liked it so much I bought a second one for my mobile recording computer.
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

Just looked it up again, and it is offered through NewEgg. It is an
    M-AUDIO 9900-40765-00 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
    and they are selling it at $89.00
    I also found the M-AUDIO DELTA 410 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card which they are offering at $85.00

I have had no experience with M-Audio products, but I did have some bad issues (probably related to early AMD processors) with their old Midi-Man products.
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

Go Back to forum