• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is the best way to play samples live?

Share/Bookmark

What is the best way to play samples live?

I have a Motif ES 8 that I use for live playing in church. Great sounds, but not up to par with my sample library. I would like to be able to use my sample librarys live. What is the best way to do this?

Libraries:
    Sam Horns, Trombones, Trumpets
    EWQL SYM Orchestra Gold
    Post Pianos, Old Lady, Emperor, and Bos 290
    Stormdrums
    Garritan Personal Orchestra, Strings Lite
    Advanced Orchestra upgrade
    Several others

Thanks!
    Jim
    Jim

P4, 3.4 ghz, XP Pro SP2, 2 gig ram

Re: What is the best way to play samples live?

Hi Jim!
    For me the best way is using a desktop PC with Cubase, Gigastudio and some VST. I use the Emagic USB soundcard Emi with six individual outputs. It gives me a very good result, I have used a lot and NEVER crashed during a concert.
    I would try with a desktop PC and a good USB or Firewire soundcard.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

What is the best way to play samples live?
    Not play them while dead ???

Seriously, there are different ways. GPO has been used in numerous live performances (ballet, theatre and concerts) as well as live playing in churches.

Have you tried bringing your computer and trying what you have. It may be fine for the job. The
    Delta 1010 is a good card and Kontakt2 should be up to the task. Much would depend if you're just triggering one sound from your computer or enganged in a full sequenced production.

I know musicians who use Receptor, a dedicated rackmounted unit that hosts some of the VSTi libraries you have. But it won't work for all of your libraries.

There are other musicians that use a rackmounted computer onstage and just load the libraries in and play, just like they would in the studio. You can also do this with a laptop.

An important consideration in live play is to minimize latency. You'll need a fast computer and plenty of RAM. Having the right soundcard is also important. In live play, set your buffers as low as possible to minimize latency.

Gary Garritan

Isn't load time a problem if you change your sounds every few songs? If you have to stand there for 20-30 seconds waiting for sounds to load in between songs, that would seem unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage
    Isn't load time a problem if you change your sounds every few songs? If you have to stand there for 20-30 seconds waiting for sounds to load in between songs, that would seem unacceptable.
    I just load a project with one sound in every track. So the only thing I have to do is choosing the right one. In this way I have not to load one project for every song during the concert.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Brainspawn's Forte.

I picked up an AX-7 for an outside waterpark summer long gig and I run it via wireless midi (Midijet Pro) to a desktop (Micro-ATX 2700+ Athlon). Forte starts up on boot - no screen, keyboard or mouse - the desktop is functionally a tone module. I'm still in the initial characterization phase but I'm gigging with whipped together set of patches from B4, Sampletank, Kontakt 2 and M-Audio's KeyRig.

Ernie

Go Back to forum