• Register
  • Help

Topic: gigastudio 3 sonar 3

Share/Bookmark

gigastudio 3 sonar 3

I need help. I just bought Sonar 3 and I am having trouble configuring it with Gigastudio 3.0. Could someone please tell me what the midi inputs and outputs should be? I have tried every combination that makes sense to me and can't get it working. I am new to Sonar and the manual does not talk specifically about setting it up for use with Gigastudio.

THanks for your help,

Mike

Re: gigastudio 3 sonar 3

It's fairly simple. In Sonar's track view, set a track's output (port) to "1-GigaOut: Port1/Control". Load a Giga instrument into channel 1 of Port 1, and that Sonar track should be able to play the Giga instrument.

That's the quick/dirty approach. Here's the full deal:

1) In Giga press "F3", open the "hardware" tab, and set your hardware MIDI port that you have connected to your keyboard as the entry for "MIDI-In Port 1". Click "OK". Now, when you just power up Giga, you can play it with your keyboard directly.

2) In Giga press "F2", and open the "general" tab. Click the "..." icon next to "sequencer". Browse to Sonar's path. For me it's something like C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Sonar3 Studio Edition\Sonarstd.exe. Now, when you click the "sequencer" button at the top of Giga, it will launch Sonar, and shut off your keyboard input. (You can also manually launch Sonar, and manually turn off the keyboard input by clicking the mini keyboard icon in GS3's lower right corner. When blinking, the keyboard will not feed Giga.)

3) Well, I've already covered step 3 in the first paragraph. Just point your Sonar tracks at GS3's ports.

Best of luck!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It's fairly simple. In Sonar's track view, set a track's output (port) to "1-GigaOut: Port1/Control". Load a Giga instrument into channel 1 of Port 1, and that Sonar track should be able to play the Giga instrument.

That's the quick/dirty approach. Here's the full deal:

1) In Giga press "F3", open the "hardware" tab, and set your hardware MIDI port that you have connected to your keyboard as the entry for "MIDI-In Port 1". Click "OK". Now, when you just power up Giga, you can play it with your keyboard directly.

2) In Giga press "F2", and open the "general" tab. Click the "..." icon next to "sequencer". Browse to Sonar's path. For me it's something like C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Sonar3 Studio Edition\Sonarstd.exe. Now, when you click the "sequencer" button at the top of Giga, it will launch Sonar, and shut off your keyboard input. (You can also manually launch Sonar, and manually turn off the keyboard input by clicking the mini keyboard icon in GS3's lower right corner. When blinking, the keyboard will not feed Giga.)

3) Well, I've already covered step 3 in the first paragraph. Just point your Sonar tracks at GS3's ports.

Best of luck!

-JF
    JF - I have tried that but all I can get to work via the keyboard is whatever sample is loaded into channel 1/port 1 of gigastudio. For example: I loaded bassoon into channel1/port 1 and it plays just fine, with or without sonar running. WHen I load the English Horn into channel 2/port 1 of gigastudio I still only hear the bassoon being played with the keyboard. Do I need to set each track "input" in Sonar to something that I am missing? Which program should be assigning the sound that the midi keyboard plays, Gigastudio or Sonar?

Thanks,
    Mike

Okay, it sounds like you might be having a fairly fundamental problem so if this isnät the case please ignore my post. While I haven't tried the suggested method, I have been used GS 2.5 with Sonar 3 and GS 3 with Sonar 4. A few points of interest:

1) If GigaStudio is set to accept the MIDI data directly (E.g. you have MIDI IN set to your soundcard's MIDI IN such as "M-Audio Audiophile 2496 MIDI IN" or something similar) then Sonar can't access that port but GS 3 can. In other words, you could have Sonar open and be playing on your MIDI device, but the data wouldn't be reaching Sonar, it would be going straight to GS 3.

2) If the above is occurring, then by simply going to the hardware tab in GS 3 and selecting "none" for all MIDI in choices, you will open up that device to be used in Sonar.

3) Once you have the MIDI-IN data getting into Sonar, you should have full control. Make sure that the appropriate MIDI device shows up in your list of MIDI in devices and that's enabled and the same goes for Giga. By default, Sonar will echo any MIDI-IN data on the active track to the output device you specify. In other words, specify for instance "1-GigaOut: Port1/Control" and then the channel 2, and you will access that device in GS 3. Port routing should only be a problem if a) the issue described in the first paragraph is occurring or b) you have failed to specify an output channel. If all the things I've talked about are in order, please let me know because I'm curious as to what else could cause the problem.

Hi Per,

Actually, your points 1 and 2 are incorrect. You can have your MIDI input go to Sonar and GS3 simultaneously. There's no need to disconnet your MIDI input from the soundcard to GS3.

Astro,

There are two ways of playing GS3 sounds: a) direct from your keyboard, and b) through Sonar. For (a) the default will be for your keyboard to play whatever is in Port 1 channel 1. You can load up more channels in Giga. You then need to go to your keyboard and tell it to send data to channel 1, 2, 3... whatever.

Another option is to load up a bunch of GS3 instruments, and trigger program changes from your keyboard. By requesting patch 1, 2, 3... whatever on channel 1, you can force GS3 to change the current instrument on channel 1.

A third option is to "stack" multiple instruments on one channel. You can then set the stack to respond to key switches. Then you can play a key on the keyboard to switch instruments. If your MIDI keyboard/controller is very limited, this is the best option.

Okay, now on to (b). Setup GS3 as in my first post. Create many MIDI tracks in Sonar. Point one track to Channel 1, another to Channel 2, etc. Click on the track for channel 2. Your keyboard should now play into Sonar, and be sent to GS3 Port 1, channel 2. You should now hear the English Horn, if that was loaded into channel 2 of GS3.

I hope this helps. You're really close...

-JF

Smile Re: gigastudio 3 sonar 3

Jon, Per, et al.,

Thank you for all your help. Now I am going to throw a new twist into the mix to see if you might be familiar with it. I am using VSL's perfomance tool. Not sure if you are familiar with it or not, but I am having great difficulty getting it to work with the Giga/Sonar configuration. If you have the patience to help me further I will be eternally grateful! :-)

For clarification, when I setup Sonar and Giga as you said, it works fine and the sound I hear is controlled by which track I have highlighted in Sonar. When I throw in the VSL tool and suddenly everyting that is loaded into Giga plays - regardless of wether I have assigned channels in Sonar or not! Maddening!

Thanks,
    Mike

To use the PT I think that you will need a virtual MIDI router to route MIDI from the sequencer into the PT. Then you can route from the PT to GS as normal.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    To use the PT I think that you will need a virtual MIDI router to route MIDI from the sequencer into the PT. Then you can route from the PT to GS as normal.

D
    Daryl, You are right! I got the VSL midi router and it is working just fine!

Go Back to forum