• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Amaizing Swiss Drum March Show

Share/Bookmark

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: Amaizing Swiss Drum March Show

I marched drum corps for a few years, but the whole trend in snares at that time was to get them as low as possible. We actually drilled 2" holes in the snares, just below the batter head, to get the resonant frequency down.

The drums now are made to crank, the heads are totally reinforced. It's just sheer crankdown that puts them up that high.

Another big drum that's tuned up high like that is a djembe. Huge drum, but when they're tuned right, the head is as tight as a bongo. If you don't really crank a djembe, it sounds like crap, all tinny. To get that really slamming sound, you have to get the head almost to the breaking point (and tune them down after you play, lest the humidity drop and you end up with a split!!).

AMaZING, the tightest thing i've heard and seen in years
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

I like the combo bass drums-toms

Quote Originally Posted by SyQuEsT
    I like the combo bass drums-toms
    Juggling sticks, playing each other's drums, doing "the wave", playing the flagpoles! Madness? To say nothing of the tightness of the playing.....the choreography amazes me!

Belbin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Man, I just now watched the video.

You guys need to see a DCI show. These guys wouldn't break the top 25 at DCI. Check out Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets (actually not called Garfield anymore, but I can't think of their new name).

THOSE drumlines will amaze you. This one is a pansy version of the actually hot ones.

That was a great show. Looks kind of like an army tatoo or something.

I was in the swedish armed forces music platoon 10 months (military service is mandatory here). We did our own drum show, rather like this one but not as long. You can guess we (and these guys) polished it for a looong time before doing it - day in and out for months. The playing was the least amount of work; the steps and exact directions and angles of walking was the real challenge. You were absolutely not allowed to turn your head to look where you were, only keep your eyes straight forward. So it had to be all by memory and muscle memory. After a while you started dreaming the entire show from beginning to end at night. Paradoxally, you were sooo fed up with the show when you performed it

I noticed that these guys do a thing where they pass one of their sticks to the guy to their right; and thus obviously getting a new stick from the guy to their left. But I wonder where the guy to the far right passes his stick
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Man, I just now watched the video.

You guys need to see a DCI show. These guys wouldn't break the top 25 at DCI. Check out Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets (actually not called Garfield anymore, but I can't think of their new name).

THOSE drumlines will amaze you. This one is a pansy version of the actually hot ones.
    I agree actually. Being a drum corps nut myself. One cool thing DCI starting doing now is that you can pay for individual drum corps shows to download via the web at www.dci.org. My favorite year is 1993 though everyone's is different.

Cadets '93, "In the Spring...at the time when kings go off to war..."...I mean....WOW!...

Also...Phantom regiment that year had a killer triangle move with a tight interval 360 degree spin at the end which made my jaw drop.

Also...the Star of Indiana that year placed 2nd with their rendition of Barber's Medea Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste. It was the year where they were pissed that they lost by .1 to the Cadets so they left the competitive world of DCI for good and formed what would later be known as BLAST on stage...which was on PBS and premiered in London...and also ran at Disneyland and Disney World for many years.

DCI Season Pass Link

EDIT: They use to have video...oh well...looks like it is all audio only now. Could have swore they were trying out video streams too.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Go Back to forum