• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Horizon Solo Strings or Woodwind Ens?

Share/Bookmark

VSL Horizon Solo Strings or Woodwind Ens?

Hi, everyone. I'm stuck between purchasing VSL Solo Strings or Woodwind Ensembles. I'm only buying one of them, and don't know which route is best. I'm wondering if any of you have both libraries, and can help with the decision process. Here's a partial list of my current sample purchases...

VSL Horizon - Opus 1 (solo WW's only)
    VSL Horizon - French Oboe
    VSL Horizon - Epic Horns
    VSL Horizon - Saxophones 1
    Garritan Personal Orchestra (has solo strings, but with limited articulations)

I own quite a number of the VSL Horizon Libraries. I'm sure both the WW Ens and Solo Strings are wonderful, but want the best 'bang for my buck', I suppose. I know Sharmy has nothing but good things to say about the Winds. Have you also purchased the Solo Strings, Sharmy?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!
    Mike

Re: VSL Horizon Solo Strings or Woodwind Ens?

surely they fill such different needs that it depends on what music you'll be writing soon! but you can always double your present woodwinds as needed, while you can't "undouble" a string section ...

Re: VSL Horizon Solo Strings or Woodwind Ens?

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    you can always double your present woodwinds as needed, while you can't "undouble" a string section ...
    Exactly. You have wonderful solo woodwinds in the Opus1 and French Oboe packages and you can use the GPO to make woodwind ensembles with them. The VSL solo strings should be the best there is and most likely you can't get them any cheaper than with the 30 % discount. Besides it's very rare to have three times the same woodwind playing in unison. My choice would be the Solo Strings.

Go Back to forum