• Register
  • Help

Topic: Very newbish question, I would suppose...

Share/Bookmark

Very newbish question, I would suppose...

Hello everyone. New here, as you can see...=P

Anyways, I'm very new to GPO, and I have a question about recording pieces...

OK, so I've got a piece finished... It's about...eh... 7 minutes...

So... I go on 'bout recording it... And after I finish recording it, I would want to share it, right? Let people critique it, give me more tips... After all, this is my first attempt using GPO.

However... the file size is whopping 70 MG... Very large for a file for a 7 minute piece, right?

So, here's the problem... I can't find a free web host that can support and upload that large of a file... So... can anybody suggest how I could make the file smaller? (using the GPO studio record funtion, 16 bit) Or can anybody tell me a free web host that can upload large files like these?

Thanks in advance (and also, sorry if this is such a very amateur-ish question. I'm very new to this <_<)

Re: Very newbish question, I would suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    Hello everyone. New here, as you can see...=P

Anyways, I'm very new to GPO, and I have a question about recording pieces...

OK, so I've got a piece finished... It's about...eh... 7 minutes...

So... I go on 'bout recording it... And after I finish recording it, I would want to share it, right? Let people critique it, give me more tips... After all, this is my first attempt using GPO.

However... the file size is whopping 70 MG... Very large for a file for a 7 minute piece, right?

So, here's the problem... I can't find a free web host that can support and upload that large of a file... So... can anybody suggest how I could make the file smaller? (using the GPO studio record funtion, 16 bit) Or can anybody tell me a free web host that can upload large files like these?

Thanks in advance (and also, sorry if this is such a very amateur-ish question. I'm very new to this <_<)
    Cataclysm,
    Welcome to the forum! What you will need to do is convert the wave file to an mp3. There are several ways to do this, but one way (for Windows) is to download Audacity and get the LAME Mp3 encoder. There's more info here=>

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Good luck!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Hey Cataclysm!! Welcome to the Garritan family of happy composing hobbits!

I host my website through Tripod (www.tripod.com). There's a link to it on my signiture. You only get 10 MB, but I got a couple things up there. There's also www.ourmedia.org, which I don't see a limit to file size, but it can take hours for your file to be up on the web and ready to go.

There's also soundclick, which a lot of people use, and I think with geocities you can get a fairly decent amount of space free.

If you do a search on the forum you can probably find more alternatives.

-Chris

You are now my official hero of the day, southportJim =P. Thanks a bunch, man!!

And also, thanks for providing those site links, cptexas. I've tried geocities, but it can't upload anything above 5 MB. I'll try Tripod.

And thanks for the welcome guys. ;p

As well as having my own site I also use

http://www.dmusic.com

http://www.acidplanet.com

Which are both free and you can upload your files there.

Lightbulb Re: Very newbish question, I would suppose...

As an alternative to MP3, you might also consider Ogg Vorbis, which can also be generated by the aforementioned Audacity -- it's a sound compression scheme similar to MP3, but it's slightly more efficient -- you can get better quality than MP3 at the same bit rates (or the same quality as MP3 with a smaller file size).

Most modern software players (and even a few hardware "MP3 players") support the format. Windows Media Player doesn't support it natively, but you can download Ogg Vorbis filters here which give it the capability.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum