• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Comparison of Samples to Real Orchestra - Can you tell what is real?

Share/Bookmark

Comparison of Samples to Real Orchestra - Can you tell what is real?

A few months back, Dan did an A/B comparison of a sample mockup and a recording of a real orchestra playing a Clara Schumman Concerto and also the Second Movement of Dvoraks New World Symphony. This time he has completed the First movement of the Dvorak (Symphony No. 9 in E minor) and has again done a spectacular job.

Here is Dan's version of Dvorak's New Work Symphony alternating between both real orchestra and samples:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Dvorakco...ave192kbps.MP3

See if you can tell where the samples are playing and where the real orchestra is playing.

If you can hear the differences, list the spots where you think the real orchestra is playing and where it is samples.

This is something fun and I encourage others to do what Dan did and to emulate the masters. Many students in the colleges and universities often take an orchestral piece and do mock-ups of the classics. This is a great way to get into the mind of a composer/conductor. Also going from MIDI-mlockup to real orchestra, as we did in the GPO Competition, is also helpful in learning a great deal about orchestration.

If you can figure out which segments are the real orchestra and which are samples, let us know. The last time some posted that the differences were obvious (after the identity of real/samples were posted). This time let's see if you can the difference without the times being posted.

Dan can perhaps further tweak and refine his orchestral mockup based on your suggestions.

Thanks again Dan for showing us what is possible. As with learning real instruments, there is a great deal of skill and expertise that your have acquired.

Comments and suggestions are welcome as to how to improve the orchestral rendition.

Bravo Dan!

Gary Garritan

Re: Comparison of Samples to Real Orchestra - Can you tell what is real?

I could make some guesses, but to be quite honest, this is so well done, I'd rather just sit back and listen to the great piece! As far as I'm concerned, Dan is the master!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    This is something fun and I encourage others to do what Dan did and to emulate the masters. Many students in the colleges and universities often take an orchestral piece and do a mock-up of the classics. This is a great way to get into the mind of a composer/conductor.
    Very true! And with GPO, you can easily hear each instrument or section separately, an incredible education technique. I will definitely have to start doing some myself!

You always amaze me, Dan!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

The distinguishing factor for me was that the strings were bright in GPO
    -Christopher Reeves
    Pianist, Composer, Arranger

Thumbs up Re: Comparison of Samples to Real Orchestra - Can you tell what is real?

Gary, yes it could be heard - but very good effort from Dan Kury! Don't want to ruin the fun for the others so no hints from me at this point.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

I'm out of town listening on 18 dollar headphones with my laptop, and I can't detect any change between GPO and the Sym, though there were a few places where the attacks on strings sounded like they could have been GPO.

What can I say, another stunning job by the maestro!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    See if you can figure out which segments are the real orchestra and which are samples. Dan can perhaps further tweak and refine his orchestral mockup based on your suggestions.

Bravo Dan!
    I'm the "low man on the totem pole" here - I cannot hear a difference so this tells me two things:

1. GPO is awesome- the possilities are lunlimited!
    2. Dan and others like him are amazing!

I'm inspired!

God bless.

Any guesses?

Wouldn't dare to guess!

It's fantasitic to be able to do such a convinving mock-up in itself.

It's even more amazing to have it match an existing orchestra.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Hi everyone!
    thank you for the compliments... Christopher, where are the strings bright?
    come on Falc, spit it out... take a chance, also for those who would consider cheating by using the link from my other topic and lining them up in your DAW, shame on you, you shouldn't have to do that

Make some guesses, nobody will be exactly correct. I messed up when I did it. I will tell you that sometimes the crossfades take place at rests, while other times, the splice is in a spot that has no relevance to time.

Have some fun with this, we all could use a little cheering up and some carefree fun in our lives these days.

Thank you for posting this Gary.

Dan

Okay, I'll take one stab. Listening through headphones this time...

4:52 there's series of repeating trumpet notes that are too precise to me, including a little stereo glitch at 4:55. That would lead me to believe GPO.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum