• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ROME - Free HBO preview week

Share/Bookmark

ROME - Free HBO preview week

Hi everybody - I wanted to let all of you cable subscribers know that HBO is having a free preview week (9/3-9/7) - you can watch the 1st couple of episodes of their new series "ROME" starting at 8PM tonight, which were directed by Michael Apted - Score and Main Title theme by yours truly -
    hope you enjoy it
    - jb

more info at HBO's "Rome" site-
    http://www.hbo.com/rome/

Re: ROME - Free HBO preview week

Thanks for the link! The series looks really good, and the music will no doubt be great! Unfortunately I don't get HBO but I'll definitely try to get this on DVD or something.

But you will be happy to know I didn't miss a single episode of Monk last season! Looking forward to the new season.

I love your work! Thanks for taking the time to stop by on the Northern Sounds forum!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Beal
    Hi everybody - I wanted to let all of you cable subscribers know that HBO is having a free preview week (9/3-9/7) - you can watch the 1st couple of episodes of their new series "ROME" starting at 8PM tonight, which were directed by Michael Apted - Score and Main Title theme by yours truly -
    hope you enjoy it
    - jb

more info at HBO's "Rome" site-
    http://www.hbo.com/rome/
    Jef,f I will watch it just to hear the score as you do terrific work, I love your scoring for Monk. The music is interesting and you play picture really well. This praise is despite the fact that you have beaten me out for a couple of projects you s.o.b.

Seriously, I wish you continued success.
    -Jay Asher.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Uh, dude, you just ripped the guy who created the music on his own thread. Maybe this is meant as constructive criticism, but there's a time and place...
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

re Blaske comments:
    Completely disagree. The music on Rome is exactly as it should be (who wants "cutting edge" period music? Whadya want, a Beck tune in there??). It is contemporary writing using the appropriate instruments of the time as well as modern ambient tones which current-day media seems to require. Beal has some of the best picture sense around as well. Ever watch Carnavale? The music and the images MADE that series.
    To equate Rome score with Media Ventures is a joke. Media Ventures is and sounds like a chop shop. Beal's music sounds handmade. Quite thoughtful. You should listen again. Listen to the closing credit music on the second episode, subtle, moving, lightly contrapuntal writing, not picture driven, just beautiful in it's own right.
    I have a couple of friends who aspire to compose for pictue and they will record dramatic programs from their tv and then practice scoring the scenes that do not contain score. It's a good exercise. Give it a try on Rome and see where the picture guides you. Gritty loops?Guitars?"Out of the Box"styles? I doubt it.

As far as the self-promoting, it's fine as long as what you are promoting is of good quality. In this case, it is quite good.

Lega

I enjoyed your work in Monk - love your trumpeteering, and I'm sure I'll enjoy Rome too! Congratulations & best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I get carried away sometimes. Sorry.

Lee Blaske
    Ha...don't we all. Cheers to you, Lee. And congratulations, Jeff.

You're right. This morning, I didn't feel very good about what I'd written yesterday, so I'm retracting it. I get carried away sometimes. Sorry.

Lee Blaske
    That's good, Lee. We probably all should evaluate our frame of mind before we post something negative. I know that sometimes I have been guilty of this.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

thanks- appreciated. jb

You're right. This morning, I didn't feel very good about what I'd written yesterday, so I'm retracting it. I get carried away sometimes. Sorry.

Lee Blaske

I'm diggin' Rome and your score, Jeff. I remarked to my wife when watching the opening montage that it's always interesting to hear composer's interpretations of what we suppose Ancient Roman music to sound like. I believe my exact qupte to her was 'whoever's writing this is getting the idea across style-wise and yet making it sound fresh w/out being cute'. My definition of 'cute' in that context would be period instruments and modes mixed with a distorted drum kit hip-hop techno beat for the 'kids'.

Keep it comin', man.

Go Back to forum