• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: liberal rage

Share/Bookmark

liberal rage

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I try to avoid the dualistic "left/right" thing and try to consider issues independently of party platform. So, on some issues I am "left" others "right".

A while back on a road trip I was listening for the 1st time to “air America”- the liberal radio station. I was expecting to hear an intelligent debate on issues with constructive criticism of some of Bush’s policies. Instead I listened to an endless rant of Bush labeling and bashing comparing him to Hitler, Stalin and Satan.

In fact if you took out the word “Bush” and replaced it “liberal/ democratic” and changed the other labels, It would have sounded like far right wing trash talk.
    After 40 minute of this crap I got a headache and put on some Cd’s . When I got home I checked their website only to find Jerry Springer on the front page. Jerry Springer?!!! You expect any reasonable adult to take you seriously when you have Jerry Springer as one of your main talents?!

I often wonder when America will grow tired of sophistry and rhetoric.
    Already days after one of the worst disasters in our history the professional demagogues are out flourishing and pointing fingers. Like Pearl Harbor, 9/11 and Iraq there is plenty of blame to go around. Why defend your position on issues you barely understand and trust in liars? Why go to blogs to reinforce misperceptions? The sad fact is most political discussion in America is childish, partisan, staged and appeals to the worst aspects of the human ego. In fact, most of it is just bar room talk.
    Does anyone else get tired of the people telling you want to hear? Any else tired of blame and negative narcissistic rants? Thoughts from a lone moderate.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: liberal rage

Quote Originally Posted by mike harper
    I often wonder when America will grow tired of sophistry and rhetoric.
    When a majority of its people are educated enough to understand the words sophistry and rhetoric...

You're dealing with a largely "Wal Mart" culture in this country. Political discourse, at present, is nothing but finely honed market speak designed to get non-thinkers to the polls.

Politicians don't care about influencing smart people. There aren't enough of them to win elections.

So, therefore, I think you have pundits on both sides of the fence using the same sound-bite methods of doing anything possible to stir people up.

Yes, it's ugly. We live in some ugly times.

I agree with everything that's been said. People are so entertained and programmed by mass culture in America it's rare that a wholly original thought or utterance is produced. I feel extremely frustrated with these so-called culture wars. You're pretty much born into this on-going fight you had nothing to do with, and there's no end in sight.

We really need a different political party and a leader who can lay down all this sloganeering and simplistic, dualistic thinking, and set a better example. I guess I'm a bit of a Libertarian in that I stress individual responsibility--that ultimately WE hold the cards here and WE need to wise up. (Like the oil issue, for example. They can go out and investigate gouging and profiteering until the end of time, but the bottom line is that if people would conserve more, if they would simply DEMAND less gas, we would hit them where it hurts and we'd have better, cleaner energy faster). Free markets give us considerable power (in conjunction with our vote), but of course, it requires an active, educated citizenry to take advantage of this. This, it seems, is something we grossly lack.

I can only say this: my outrage, my passion for what's happening politically in this country did not blossom until W.'s bloodless coup. There is a direct causal link between liberal rage and the band of thugs now destroying this country.

And there is NO denying that this country is being destroyed by them. The staunchest rightwinger, the wishy-washiest middle of the roader cannot look at what's happening and say, gee, that's good....

Air America is simply fighting fire with fire. SOMEBODY has to do it.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Air America is simply fighting fire with fire. SOMEBODY has to do it.
    Unforunately, it further blurs the line between the major parties' agendas. There is little reason to take either side seriously any more, it is indeed time for a thorough house-cleaning.

But it will make no difference, Dems are simply dogs of the other masters, and neither side is interested in making things better for the American people, the world's people or the planet at large.

Rule by law, not by loophole. It is time for the Third American Revolution. Eliminate the corporate lackeys and professional politicians of both parties and get back to government by the people and for the people.

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
    Larry Hardiman
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

The talk show format is custom-tailored for people with an IQ below 80. That's why conservative talk shows are so successful and why Air America doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    The talk show format is custom-tailored for people with an IQ below 80. That's why conservative talk shows are so successful and why Air America doesn't work.
    Actually, Air America is very successful considering its short time on the air, and without catering to the sub-100's. Yes, there are some hosts who go overboard, but for the most part, the discussions are a lot more intelligent and less shrill than their competition on the right side of the dial.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

The answer to stupidity isn't more stupidity. What I heard on Air America was way too low-brow for a liberal elitist like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    The answer to stupidity isn't more stupidity. What I heard on Air America was way too low-brow for a liberal elitist like me.
    Let me guess, you were either listening to Mike Malloy or Randi Rhodes. Both are anti-Limbaughs.

Most of the other hosts are much more level-headed and certainly less shrill.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

I don't remember who I was listening to, but it was stupid. Shrillness is appropriate these days; stupidity isn't.

Oh, and I've heard snippets of Al Franken. He's okay, just not someone I'd really want to listen to for more than five minutes - even though I'm sure I agree with most of what he says.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast