• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Future Dept: Download Samples on your Cellphone?

Share/Bookmark

The Future Dept: Download Samples on your Cellphone?

Experimental Phone Service Faster Than Cable!

New Scientist reports that "Cellphones capable of transmitting data at blistering speeds have been demonstrated by NTT DoCoMo in Japan. In experiments, prototype phones were used to view 32 high definition video streams, while travelling in an automobile at 20 kilometres per hour. Officials from NTT DoCoMo say the phones could receive data at 100 megabits per second on the move and at up to a gigabit per second while static. At this rate, an entire DVD could be downloaded within a minute." These transmission rates were achieved using new experimental methods of multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) multiplexing

In the not too distant future, there may be no need for delivery of samples by physical media such as DVD,CD or hard drive. Just bring along your cellphone.

Re: The Future Dept: Download Samples on your Cellphone?

Wow! Gigabit cellphones! I can't wait.

On a side note, I appologize for that post I made a few minutes ago. I dunno what I was thinking....

Fascinating! I certainly wouldn't mind getting one of those. Nothin' like watching "Amadeus" while driving on the interstate!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Then sample library developers will have to deal with the same illegal downloading problem that the recording companies have.

Guess people who do not have cell phones would be left in the dirt. Of my 33 years of life on this planet, believe it or not I have yet to own a cell phone

EDIT oops put days not years ROFL
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile
    Guess people who do not have cell phones would be left in the dirt. Of my 33 days of life on this planet, believe it or not I have yet to own a cell phone
    I just gave mine up.
    Styxx

Cantibile look at the money you've saved.
    Oh I'm just so busy I have to have a cell phone so that anyone can get a hold of me regardless of where I am. That's a very nice service to them, but how about the friend who calls and says, I've been trying to get you all day. Sorry the phone was off.

It is very obvious to me that cell phones will continue to have many more uses than we can think of right now. They have indeed saved millions of people's lives after car accidents and other things, but downloading a single sample right now would be pretty sad when you consider the...
    "can you hear me now?" issues.

Have a great day everyone!

dp

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Experimental Phone Service Faster Than Cable!
    If you have digital cable service then the main line on the street is fiber optic. I believe this technology is also capable of the speeds mentioned in the article. I'm assuming this because I have fiber optic service through our local PUD as the backbone wholesaler contracting customer service out to local providers. Right now my download maximum speed is at 100mbps and upload at about 8mbps. I also have two seperate phone lines using it with a package deal. The difference is that i'm wired directly with cat 5 instead of coaxial cable to a modem.

http://www.masonpud3.org/Telecom/Why/

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN

It is very obvious to me that cell phones will continue to have many more uses than we can think of right now. They have indeed saved millions of people's lives after car accidents and other things, but downloading a single sample right now would be pretty sad when you consider the...
    "can you hear me now?" issues.

dp
    They are handy gadgets; there are two in my house. They are our main phone lines, with the land line serving primarily for internet, and reporting the condition of electrical service to the utility company, and soon, reporting the status of my propane tank to the propane provider.

On the down side, I live in are area where I consider cell phones a necessity. However, service is quite unreliable in much of the area that I travel, long stretches with no service. This is not restricted to my provider, but is common to all users that I have talked to. Great coverage at home, and nearby, no coverage near the Coast Highway, many stretches of intermittent coverage whenever I drive to a city. Every merger has led to degradation of service. I do not consider them much of a safety device for emergencies. Lots more functions that I don't need, don't use, but lots less service! Am I sounding a little bitter on the subject? Well, I am a little disappointed at the continuing degradation of service. But I still have the phones, which receive very little use. I use about 8 per cent of my included time, in a busy month.

End of ramble, rant, and rave. Time for a nap, coffe, and more music!

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 09-04-2005 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    On the down side, I live in are area where I consider cell phones a necessity. However, service is quite unreliable in much of the area that I travel, long stretches with no service. Richard
    They are still selling 3 watt Motorola bag phones but they are big and expensive.

Go Back to forum