• Register
  • Help

Topic: SOV with Kontact?

Share/Bookmark

Smile SOV with Kontact?

Anyone here using Kontact for SOV? I have used Halion (Still the 1st version) with SOV and have always suffered from the fact that there are dropouts at the end of some releases and other weird artifacts like clicks. This is the only lib that does it and only certain patches, mainly the ones I REALLY LIKE! So any way, Someone on the cubase forums said it was something to do with loop points not matching up correctly but was wondering if the kontact engine did a better job of reading these or anything? I would love to hear from someone with this same experience. I know there were a few on the cubase forum who had had the same problem. I am pretty sure that Kontact is the way I want to go in the future rather than upgrading Halion as I am already using EWQLSO, Stormdrum, Vapor etc.. Just seems to make sense. Besides, I want to get Giovanni one of these days and I dont want to dive into Giga anytime soon. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Re: SOV with Kontact?

Hi,
    I'm using SOV with Kontakt 2 and it works fine! Kontakt is definitely the way to go!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Anyone here using Kontact for SOV?
    Hi, Ive been running SOV in Kontakt since version 1. Since the sample pool is shared and not in embedded in each file, (like Giga) the size went from something like 8gb to 2gb.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Smile Re: SOV with Kontact?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. Hey Scott, how's the game gig going? I just landed a trailer for an RPG and hopefully the game itself. I know you have done a few. Are you still liking the gig? Also, I've heard horror stories of how CPU intense Kontakt is. I'm still using just one Dell P4, 2.6 with 1 gig ram. Do I stand a chance here with this. A second PC is not in my immediate future. Currently I am running Gold, SD, Albino and a few others with decent success on this machine. Thanks again,

Eric

Hi Eric, the game gig is going well thanks, never been busier.

Ive heard that Kontakt can idle pretty high on the CPU (Im running a dual Xeon and dont notice it to be honest) but its ok once you hit play. In other words, you might be idling at 20% or 30% but it wont go up when you start playing the song. (this is what I hear from others)

Congratulations on the RPG mate, best of luck. Oh, and yes, I still love what I do. Ive been recording a lot of actors lately for voice-over in the titles, outsourcing the sound-design and completing the scores myself. Actors are always fun to have in the studio. Never a dull moment.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Talking Re: SOV with Kontact?

SOV (converted from Akai) working perfectly with Halion 3.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Also, I've heard horror stories of how CPU intense Kontakt is. I'm still using just one Dell P4, 2.6 with 1 gig ram. Do I stand a chance here with this.
    Eric, I'm running Kontakt2 on an AMD based system, it's a Barton 3200XP and this cpu is comparable to an Pentium with 2,8 GHz. I have only 1 GB RAM. In an currently project I'm working on I've loaded 16 instruments from the Kontakt VSL library (non-legato patches!) and a couple of GPO instruments. Furthermore there are 4 audio files in this project. CPU usage is about 30% up to 50%. Another Kontakt instance means about 8% more cpu usage - without loading any patch! You could give it a try: Kontakt is available as a demo version on the NI website. Hope that helps a bit...

Forgot about it: I think some of the KSP scripts can be _very cpu intensive!

Regards

Smile Re: SOV with Kontact?

Thanks everyone for the answers. Just for clarification, cant Kontakt 2 address up to 64 midi channels instead of 16? I thought I had read this. Thanks again guys.

Eric

Hi Eric, Kontakt will load up 64 channels in stand-alone mode, 16 in VST mode. Its a limitation of the current VSTi spec apparently.

NI are supposed to be looking at a work around, creating dummy channels or something.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Go Back to forum