• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: English Horn Concerto Completed

Share/Bookmark

English Horn Concerto Completed

Hi All!

I have now completed the last movement of my little Concerto for the exquisite GPO Cor Anglais. It is in Rondo form. Like I said before, when I posted the first two movements, I tried very hard to keep to Classical style and form, but I broke the 'rules' here and there. I hope you will find this movement enjoyable.

You can listen here: Third Movement: Rondo

If you missed the first two movements and would like to hear them, you can get them here:

First Movement

Second Movement

Thanks for listening.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Re: English Horn Concerto Completed

Bravo, Louis!

I just listened to the third part of your English horn work and loved it! I enjoyed your melodies and your excellent thematic development. This is great writing!

I will listen to the other two parts as soon as possible.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I second Larry, BRAVO! It is delightful and a perfect Finale for your Concerto. It is now safely saved on my hard drive with the other movements. What's next? I love listening to brand new 18th century music.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thanks for listening Larry and Bill. I'm glad you liked it. I'm fairly relieved that this piece is now done. One sometimes just have to decide when something is 'done', or else one can continue to work on it for ever. I'm working on some 'non-18th century' sounding things now .

Kind Regards

LouisD

Thumbs up Re: English Horn Concerto Completed

I LOVE IT!!!!

GREAT work!! I love your style!!!!! EXCLIMATION POINTS!!!!!!

I like the first movement best, don't know why, but they're all so GOOD!!! Excelent use of the GPO english horn!!

One thing though: the first movement gave me a lot of distortion. I'm listening on really crappy computer speakers, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were the speakers, but there seemed to be mroe than usual.

Ahh who cares about my speakers!! That was GREAT!!!!!!!

BRAVO!!!!

-Chris

This third movement is great.
    Louis, may I suggest the NV Flute in many of the sections as opposed to the Flute Solo V. Just an observation.... Great writing!

dp

Congratulations on finishing such a great concerto! Beautiful writing for one of my favorite instruments. I love listening to new 18th century music too I am glad people are still interested in writing it. Keep it up! Your melodies and harmonies sound perfect to my ears. I only wish it would be performed live, but alas, don't we all?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thank you everyone for the encouraging comments. I appreciate it that you all took the time to listen. Eventhough still not near to some of the other exquisite demos in this section, I consider this work to my best effort with GPO, and composition in general, so far. Having said that, I have a lot to learn....

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    One thing though: the first movement gave me a lot of distortion. I'm listening on really crappy computer speakers, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were the speakers, but there seemed to be mroe than usual.
    Chris, you're absolutely right. The distortion you're getting is simply because of my lack of mixing skills . I've tried another mix to get rid of the spikes and replaced the previous file of the first movement with a new one. I hope this one is a little better.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    This third movement is great.
    Louis, may I suggest the NV Flute in many of the sections as opposed to the Flute Solo V. Just an observation.... Great writing!

dp
    I know what you mean, and I should probably use the NV Flute more often in orchestral work, but I don't really like that sound very much, although the V Flute sounds more natural, the vibrato tends to be a bit much in slower and exposed sections.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Yeah, the vibrato flute sounds more like a flute, but the vibrato is quite wide and after a second or two starts looping and the viberato gets very static. Then NV flute, even with CC17 and aftertouch, still sounds kinda weird. It almost doesn't sound like a flute. I think the instrument was so exquisit (Hynes flutes advertised) and the player so good that the resulting sound was SOOO mellow and round that it doesn't sound natural. That's also what I find in the strings. The tone is so rich and complex it doesn't sound natural.

just more observations...

-Chris

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast