• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: Sibelius users tip

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Sibelius users tip

    This may be so obvious that every Sibelius user has already figured it out - but I'll throw this one in, just the same.
    Right now, one can enter a dynamic marking, but it will not affect GPO - for that one needs to add a ~C1,xx. Not too much work, but anything that can increase work is a help. If you go to Sibelius>Preferences>Word Menus, you can add any ~C1 value to any dynamic mark, so when you insert that mark the Mod wheel message appears as well. You can also make it a shortcut, so it is even faster to put in the score. A little work setting it up, but then you have preset values for each dynamic level.
    Two nice little advantages: the ~C1 message won't print, and if you want to change the xx value (say you have designated Forte to be ~C1,95), all you have to do is double click the marking, and edit the xx value.

    Again, maybe so very obvious (but it wasn't to me...).

    R. Pearl

  2. #2

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Thanks for the tip Ron,I had never thought of that.
    regards

  3. #3

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Ron, thanks.
    Once again, valuable pearls found lying on the sand. It will make a difference.

    -- atonal

  4. #4

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Hi Ron,

    Many thanks for your helpful post re Sib. dynamics etc. Might it be possible to post the settings etc that you have found of use in Sib to acheive a sensible range of dynamics on Sib? I am not so savy with all the C1,xx terms etc so it would be a big help to me.

    Any further thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks again,

    Nick

  5. #5
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Care
    Hi Ron,

    Many thanks for your helpful post re Sib. dynamics etc. Might it be possible to post the settings etc that you have found of use in Sib to acheive a sensible range of dynamics on Sib? I am not so savy with all the C1,xx terms etc so it would be a big help to me.

    Any further thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks again,

    Nick
    Nick, I would if I had them! I am still experimenting with them, myself. But I do think it is "to each his own". Also, it depends, of course, on what the volume control in Kontakt is set. There was an earlier thread about realistic dynamic levels, and how we often "over-dynamize" our scores - do a thread search. I think it will be a trial and error process for me; after a few scores, I'll have an idea. When I do, I'll try and remember to post it; but classes begin tomorrow, so I know my time will be, uh, "re-directed"...

    R. Pearl

  6. #6

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for your speedy reply!

    I appreciate your points - I wil do the search you suggested. I 'll also do some experimenting myself & see what happens! Thanks again & hope your classes don't get too much in the way of your writing!!

    Best wishes,

    Nick

  7. #7
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Care
    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for your speedy reply!

    I appreciate your points - I wil do the search you suggested. I 'll also do some experimenting myself & see what happens! Thanks again & hope your classes don't get too much in the way of your writing!!

    Best wishes,

    Nick
    Nick,

    Thanks. Yes, this teaching would be very easy if there were no students
    Just kidding - they are great.

    R. Pearl

  8. #8

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Perhaps these:

    pppp = ~C1,10
    ppp = ~C1,24
    pp = ~C1,36
    p = ~C1,48
    mp = ~C1,64
    mf = ~C1,80
    f = ~C1,96
    ff = ~C1,112
    fff = ~C1,120
    ffff = ~C1,127

  9. #9

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Super tip, Ron! Thanks!!!! And thanks to the trumpeter as well.

    I am still confused as to the difference between C1 and C7. A few weeks ago I was using C1 for dynamics, embedding each command next to my ps and fs one by one, but started having trouble with the system ignoring the messages or doing other strange things.

    So I looked carefully at the S3 manual, page 338, and saw that the volume command is C7, which I then substituted. That cleared up the misbehavior.

    C1 is supposed to be vibrato wobble on the mod wheel, si, no? I have no keyboard and don't use the Kontakt mod item so this seems superfluous for me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Sibelius users tip

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith
    Super tip, Ron! Thanks!!!! And thanks to the trumpeter as well.

    I am still confused as to the difference between C1 and C7. A few weeks ago I was using C1 for dynamics, embedding each command next to my ps and fs one by one, but started having trouble with the system ignoring the messages or doing other strange things.

    So I looked carefully at the S3 manual, page 338, and saw that the volume command is C7, which I then substituted. That cleared up the misbehavior.

    C1 is supposed to be vibrato wobble on the mod wheel, si, no? I have no keyboard and don't use the Kontakt mod item so this seems superfluous for me.
    Doug,

    You are correct. However, when you set up GPO studio, you can decide if you want to manipulate volume via C1 or C7; my understanding is that by using C1, you get a change not only in volume, but brightness as well. At least that is what I read.

    In any event, I'm glad the tip is helpful. It doesn't make Sibelius a sequencer, but it does help make the dynamics more "meaningful", and a little less work.

    One thing that I have to explore - I think that in Sibelius, when a dynamic mark is affixed, Sibelius makes that happen by a velocity change. I'd like to seperate the two, as one might want less of an attack. But I have to experiment to see if that is really what is happening, or it is ataully significant when playing back through GPO.

    Ron

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •