• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Joseph B.

Share/Bookmark

Question Question for Joseph B.

Joseph, I'm interested in buying Ov4 but as a long time user of Sibelius I need to know if Ov4 can read Sib2 files. If not, is there some way to convert my sib files to overture files?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Question for Joseph B.

Right now, the only way to transfer files between the programs is via the MusicXML format. The conversion process isn't 100%, but it works. We've talked about incorporating file import functions for Sibelius and Finale, and we'll get to it, but just not in this initial release.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Joseph, I'm interested in buying Ov4 but as a long time user of Sibelius I need to know if Ov4 can read Sib2 files. If not, is there some way to convert my sib files to overture files?
    You could save as MIDI file, and then import into Overture. You'd have a bit of cleaning up to do, but it would work.

R. Pearl

Yes. That's true.

I just don't want to make promises we can't live up to. I will say there's a lot of discussion around opening both Sibelius and Finale files, but it does take time and coding, so it won't be in there for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Yes. That's true.

I just don't want to make promises we can't live up to. I will say there's a lot of discussion around opening both Sibelius and Finale files, but it does take time and coding, so it won't be in there for some time.
    It's also the issue of whether one wants Overture act as the sequencer for a Sibelius file, or whether the import needs to be "complete", i.e., sequencing, scores, parts, and all the other notation issues.

Joe - good luck with O 4. I am Sibelius user, but I do think that we all gain by the competition. Your program will light some fires, no doubt!

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum