• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Too many melodies!

Share/Bookmark

Too many melodies!

I have written too many melodies and I don't have enough time to write and orchestrate the actual music for them all! Don't you hate when that happens? And I just keep writing new melodies . . . I just can't seem to stop! When I die, I'll probably leave behind a good number of finished pieces . . . and thousands upon thousands of melodies.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Too many melodies!

You should.... uh... probably write the whole thing at once, not just the melody.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

I should . . . I always seem to write a few melodies at first and then build it into a piece. Problem is I tend to write melodies, plan the piece in my head, and then go write more melodies . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I should . . . I always seem to write a few melodies at first and then build it into a piece. Problem is I tend to write melodies, plan the piece in my head, and then go write more melodies . . .
    Well, I almost always conceive of the piece as a whole, at least in general terms. Often, I will write melody, parts, everything at once. But just as often I write the whole thing in a sketchy form. Sometimes it doesn't get finished right away, but if I have a decent outline, at least I can recall what I had in mind. Nothing wrong in writing melodies in a sketchbook, or whatever, but do something with them. You may have to discipline yourself a bit to stick to something long enough to finish it, but it is a necessity.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    If you find that xxxx is easy, you're doing something wrong.
    just correct your signature line, replace xxxx with MUSIC! melodies are the easiest part of writing music (not that a great melody isn't special ...)

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    just correct your signature line, replace xxxx with MUSIC! melodies are the easiest part of writing music (not that a great melody isn't special ...)
    Very true!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Smile Re: Too many melodies!

I always tell my private students these...
    1) Unfinished pieces is like unfinished love letters. It will not tell anything to the person you fall in love, because it is unfinished and unsend.
    2) The ability of composer is almost proportion to the number of pieces that one finished...not started.

I think it benefits everyone that if you finished composition.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Use each melody as a counter melody in one piece!

Too many melodies!
    In other words ... Looney Tunes!
    Styxx

So it probably comes from my laziness . . . and my short attention span from too many loony tunes in my youth

I better work on trying to change that . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

I do the opposite (but I do mostly jazz,blues, and rock type stuff) and start with the rhythm, then harmony and then melody. I find that listening to a completed rhythm and harmony inspires the melody. I do it kind of like a jam session playing the lead instrument (keyboard guitar or vibes, usually) over the "backing track". It's actually quite fun.

Go Back to forum