• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Lee, other piano giggers, advice needed...

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

OT: Lee, other piano giggers, advice needed...

Hi folks,

I have been using computers for keyboard rigs so long that I am sadly uninformed on the current go-to hardware.

I have a player coming in for a gig. He's doing a general keyboards sort of musical part, and has done this musical before on his RD-700. Whatever sound-splitting, keyboard layout, sound set, etc., that an RD-700 possesses worked out for him.

I thought his personal keyboard would be available for rental, and we could have him bring it. This turned out not to be the case. So I need to budget and purchase a hardware/stage keyboard for the production.

Could you guys who use hardware keyboards for this kind of purpose on a regular basis let me know what you think the best price/performance/functionality keyboard would be? Is the RD-700 best-of-class for that type of board? Please let me know if there are others I should seriously consider. Many thanks.

Re: OT: Lee, other piano giggers, advice needed...

While it is of course a matter of personal taste, I wouldn't call the Roland best-of class. Others would...
    If this purchase is exclusively for this production, then the familiarity factor
    would seem to call for the Roland. On the other hand, if you are making this purchase with an eye for keeping it around, the other contenders would be the Yamaha P-250 and the Generalmusic Promega 3. If you can find a used Kawai MP9500 that would be in the mix as well.

I'd rank the top of the line hardware pianos thusly:

Piano Sound:
    1. Yamaha or Generalmusic
    2. Roland
    3. Kawai

Keyboard:
    1. Kawai
    2. Yamaha
    3. Roland or Generalmusic.

The Kawai has very nice controller capabilities.
    The Yamaha has adequate controller capabilities.
    Don't know about the other 2.

Another thing to check out would be the Kawai MP4, which is only $1295, has all of
    the controller features of the MP9500, better sound, and a lighter keyboard feel (and lighter weight as well).

Again...nothing but my opinion, but I've played them all, and owned the Kawai and Yamaha.

EDIT*****
    Rereading your original post, it seems that maybe the quality of non-piano sounds is a factor as well. The Yamaha S90 is highly regarded as a weighted
    keyboard with a large variety of sounds. I played one once on a gig and it felt OK. Not as piano like as the P250 but very playable.

-Phil
    Last edited by Beethree; 09-01-2005 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Adding a postscript

Lightbulb Re: OT: Lee, other piano giggers, advice needed...

Hi Bruce,

If you decide for the RD-700, I would strongly recommend going for the newer RD-700SX. It's got a very convincing Steinway D sample, which I dare to rate among the best of current stage piano's (IMO of course).

Operation of the 700SX version will also be very similar to the RD-700, which your player is used to.

Personally, I'm not very impressed with the standard S-90 and MOTIF piano sounds, but these can be expanded with a ROM board containing a reasonable Yamaha CFIII multisample if needed. Non-piano sounds, however, will be (much?) better from these units than those found in the RD700(SX).

Hope this makes things a bit easier.

Rob

Hi Bruce

So the Casio D-550 at Best Buy wouldn't cut it?

Kurzwiel have such realistic action, and sound-wise always dependable.

Remember, Kurzweil uses Fatar keyboards. These keyboards cannot be compared to the homemade Japanese keyboards they put in top-of-the-line instruments such as Motif ES8 or Fantom 8X and probably also the RD 700SX.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Thanks guys. I think the familiarity factor will be king here, so we'll just buy an RD700sx, and sell it when the show's over. That will be far cheaper than rental, which is (unbelievably) averaging about $200 for the first day, and $75-100 every day after. We need it for 12 weeks!!

I am in the wrong business...

Bruce...
    you have a pm.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    That will be far cheaper than rental, which is (unbelievably) averaging about $200 for the first day, and $75-100 every day after. We need it for 12 weeks!!
    Hmm...that would come to about $6500 at the $75 a day rate plus $200 first day. It would probably be better to buy and resell for any temporary use over a few days.

Yeah, eBay is the cheapest rental company I've ever used. Buy gear, use it for a year, get 8090% of it back on eBay when it's time to bail. It's the best friend a gear slut ever had.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Go Back to forum