• Register
  • Help

Topic: Copy Protection Gone Wild? Dongles for Cars!

Share/Bookmark

Copy Protection Gone Wild? Dongles for Cars!

"The new Mazda Sassou while being `cool and promoting a positive state of mind' has a most important feature, that every geek will love. Instead of the classic key it uses a usb flash drive for starting up.

The key can also be used to transfer things like driving instructions" or maybe even playing samples on your car's hard drive.

Talk about progress

Thumbs up Re: Copy Protection Gone Wild? Dongles for Cars!

Hard to believe ...

Eh, that's nothing! I just bought 2006 Amish Carriage Dirhorsedrawn SUV. This black beauty comes with keyless entry, kick start, all time / all weather four legged drive and a "Slow moving vehicle" sign on the back. Can't figure out where to put the eight track though...
    Styxx

Re: Copy Protection Gone Wild? Dongles for Cars!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    "The new Mazda Sassou while being `cool and promoting a positive state of mind' has a most important feature, that every geek will love. Instead of the classic key it uses a usb flash drive for starting up.

The key can also be used to transfer things like driving instructions" or maybe even playing samples on your car's hard drive.

Talk about progress

But do I have to connect to the manufacturers challenge/response system for re-authentication every time I want to park it in a different space?

Hmmmm, then I could only park in the same space once unless I only park in that space....

Michael

A regular flash drive, as opposed to a dedicated hardware dongle like a HASP key? Well, that'd certainly make it much easier to duplicate...
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.S>
    But do I have to connect to the manufacturers challenge/response system for re-authentication every time I want to park it in a different space?l
    :Sorry, you are not authorized to start your car. Please log in with your user name and password to authorize your key.:

Don't lose that dongle! If you thought having to purchase a new software license was bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    ... Can't figure out where to put the eight track though...

According to my manual, you need to purchase 1 (one) additional dirhorseonhoof if you're looking for eight track compatibility. Just plug it in, up front next to the first one (no need to open the case) and voila! eight tracks instead of four.

Can USB flash drives be erased with magnets?

I think they should go the other way around, and start making computers with physical keys.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

LOL, I just traded in my 1994 Saturn SL1 that had a "keylock" that was in fact a dongle. If it wasn't in place then you couldn't start the car, period. It couldn't be jump started because there was no way to get any power to the ignition system. The problem was that it was located under the left side of the dash and you could bump it with your knee and if you didn't notice it, you couldn't start your car!!!! LOL, cost me $30 when I forgot about it and had the car towed to the shop and they said "uh, all we had to do was reset the keylock in place and it started just fine".

Tom

Styxx and Robert M, that is some of the funniest stuff I have read in the last 4 days!!! (I think I need to get out more).

Would the dongle open the door as well? I can some great potential for programmers to have some fun... Whoo Haa Haa Haa Haaa haaaaa.....
    Not that "I" would ever do that sort of thing.... (Hmmm, or would I?)

OK back to dreaming about JABB and GPOA
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Go Back to forum