• Register
  • Help

Topic: Townes van Zandt

Share/Bookmark

Talking Townes van Zandt

Appropos of nothing in particular, I've been listening to a double CD of the sadly late, great TvZ. Took me a while to get into his style but I'm really digging it. Anyone ever catch one of his gigs?

CD

p.s. How is his name meant to be pronounced, is it as in "Town".

Re: Townes van Zandt

No, and I really wish I had! I've seen videos of him, and I have most of his recordings... he was an amazing writer!!!

Re: Townes van Zandt

Quote Originally Posted by ColinD
    Appropos of nothing in particular, I've been listening to a double CD of the sadly late, great TvZ. Took me a while to get into his style but I'm really digging it. Anyone ever catch one of his gigs?

CD

p.s. How is his name meant to be pronounced, is it as in "Town".
    I saw him play at University of Houston, Clear Lake back in 77-78 timeframe and a couple of time at other clubs in Houston (Corky's, Anderson Fair...can't rememeber).

The thing that stands out in my memory about the Clear Lake gig (other than the music, of course) was him talking about a Texas bluesman, Mance Lipscomb, who had recently passed on. At that time, not many of us knew about Mance Lipscomb so it was kind of an introduction to a Texas music tradition that we didn't yet know about.

Never got out to Kerrville to see him, though ;-(

And yes, I've always heard "Townes" pronounced like you said.

jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum