• Register
  • Help

Topic: Noise at mixdown? (Kontakt/Cubase SX) (mp3: Wagner - Tannhauser overture)

Share/Bookmark

Noise at mixdown? (Kontakt/Cubase SX) (mp3: Wagner - Tannhauser overture)

By educational purpose I've made a mixdown of Wagners Tannhauser overture using Kontakt. All instruments except the timpani is taken from EWQLSO Silver Edition.

I used to use the Kompact player that came with my EWQLSO SE and I've never had any trouble mixing down in Cubase SX, but now when I use the same instruments in Kontakt (1.5) I get noise occasionally? In the mp3 this can be heard for instance at 0:43 and 2:24, and more apparent at 12:11.

The mix has been slightly compressed and Waves convolution reverb is used, but those have never given me any trouble before (not that I've noticed at least).

Also, I don't know if this is an issue with Kontakt, but sometimes the volume of some instruments drop. This can be heard with the trombones for example at 2:45. When I play this section directly in Cubase it sounds ok, but not always? I'm using some MIDI cc's to control my instruments, and I get the impression that the message handling isn't 100%, or possibly leaking between VSTi instances, and that this is the cause. I've had similar problems before with other VSTi:s when I used multiple instances in SX, but those problems were never solved.

Anyway, feel free to comment on the mixdown, and if anyone has any idea what might be the cause of these problems, please help!

The demo can be found at:
    http://www.f.kth.se/~arwa02/Wagner_T..._EWQLSO_SE.mp3

/Arne

Re: Noise at mixdown? (Kontakt/Cubase SX) (mp3: Wagner - Tannhauser overture)

Well, I more or less managed to solve the noise problem (at least reduce it) by tweaking the DFD buffer and putting some of the instruments I use a lot in sampler memory instead.

I still have some problems with leakage of MIDI messages between instances. For instance, there is a phone ringing at 13.07 that isn't sequenced . This is very weird.

/Arne

(the .mp3 file has been updated)

Hi,

did you tried the real time export in Cubase? Maybe it could solve the problem. Give it a try.

Regards

Hey, that is actually a very good suggestion. I haven't had the time to study this mixdown in detail, but it seems like the velocity problems are gone?

This is great.

THANK YOU!

If you own Kontakt2 you will probably be better off if you open your instruments in it, instead of the Kompakt player. This will probably solve all the rendering issues and improve streaming a bit.

As for the mockup, Tannhauser was great choice! It´s a wonderful piece, and you must have learnt a lot in the process of rebuilinding all the instruments!

Congratulations!

Hi Arne, make sure your piece isnt exceeding 0db anywhere, you wont here it in Cubase (but the red light will come on in the output buss)

You will hear it as a burst of white noise when you render.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Hi Arne, make sure your piece isnt exceeding 0db anywhere, you wont here it in Cubase (but the red light will come on in the output buss)

You will hear it as a burst of white noise when you render.
    I didn't know that either, but I'm sure I'm having that problem, too. I can't believe I have so many problems!

Thanks. I really appreciate all the help.

/Arne

Go Back to forum