• Register
  • Help

Topic: Relationship between GPO, GPOA, JABB, Finale?

Share/Bookmark

Relationship between GPO, GPOA, JABB, Finale?

Right now I have Finale 2006 and GPO. I can use the GPO sounds that come with Finale, or I can play through the full GPO (but I think that some of the automatic keyswitching stuff won't work as smoothly).

So far I have been using GPO exclusively through Finale -- I have not tried playing directly into a sequencer. Two reasons for that: (1) I don't have a keyboard with a mod wheel, and (2) I prefer to think about every note I write, which Finale helps me do.

That may be about to change with JABB, because I understand that it will be difficult to get the kind of articulations one wants for that kind of music without a mod wheel or aftertouch. So I have some questions:

Will JABB come with a sequencer? If not, can I use the version of Cubasis that came with GPO? Should I be looking for a keyboard with a mod wheel and aftertouch? If so, what? What about GPOA when it comes out? Will JABB and GPOA integrate with Finale?

Are there other questions I should be asking?

Question Re: Relationship between GPO, GPOA, JABB, Finale?

I ask about GPO Studio in another thread, with the same intention: I suppose it is easy to adapt it to JABB player hosting, and it must make JABB available to all sequencers and notation programs...

Re: Relationship between GPO, GPOA, JABB, Finale?

From what I've heard, simply new folders will be added to the drop down 'load' list in the GPO Kontakt player. It'll all work the same way as before.

I think...
    I hope...

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    Right now I have Finale 2006 and GPO. I can use the GPO sounds that come with Finale, or I can play through the full GPO (but I think that some of the automatic keyswitching stuff won't work as smoothly).

So far I have been using GPO exclusively through Finale -- I have not tried playing directly into a sequencer. Two reasons for that: (1) I don't have a keyboard with a mod wheel, and (2) I prefer to think about every note I write, which Finale helps me do.

That may be about to change with JABB, because I understand that it will be difficult to get the kind of articulations one wants for that kind of music without a mod wheel or aftertouch. So I have some questions:

Will JABB come with a sequencer? If not, can I use the version of Cubasis that came with GPO? Should I be looking for a keyboard with a mod wheel and aftertouch? If so, what? What about GPOA when it comes out? Will JABB and GPOA integrate with Finale?

Are there other questions I should be asking?
    I have given that keyboard issue some thought as well. I don't do a lot of performing with GPO, but it seems that in order to take advantage of the pitch bending in JABB, using the mod wheel might get a bit tricky. (Tom, any comments on this?) I also like to work with a laptop, so I purchased an Edirol PCR-M1. I chose it because it allows for two pedals. I assign CC#1 to the expression pedal and then also have the sustain pedal. That way I don't have to worry about a mod wheel. The mod device on the Edirol keyboards is rather different, so if you are definitely a mod wheel person, try the M-Audio products, but if you are looking to go a different direction, you might look into the Edirol. I think it is the only compact keyboard to have a two pedal option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoffman
    I have given that keyboard issue some thought as well. I don't do a lot of performing with GPO, but it seems that in order to take advantage of the pitch bending in JABB, using the mod wheel might get a bit tricky. (Tom, any comments on this?) I also like to work with a laptop, so I purchased an Edirol PCR-M1. I chose it because it allows for two pedals. I assign CC#1 to the expression pedal and then also have the sustain pedal. That way I don't have to worry about a mod wheel. The mod device on the Edirol keyboards is rather different, so if you are definitely a mod wheel person, try the M-Audio products, but if you are looking to go a different direction, you might look into the Edirol. I think it is the only compact keyboard to have a two pedal option.
    I already have an Edirol PCR-1, which doesn't appear to have any pedal inputs at all. Also, my understanding is that none of the compact Edirol keyboards has a true mod wheel. I've been thinking about one of the new E-MU Xboard keyboards, which not only have mod and pitch wheels, but also have aftertouch sensing.

What I'm really wondering, though, is how plausible it will be to control JABB with Finale instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    I already have an Edirol PCR-1, which doesn't appear to have any pedal inputs at all. Also, my understanding is that none of the compact Edirol keyboards has a true mod wheel. I've been thinking about one of the new E-MU Xboard keyboards, which not only have mod and pitch wheels, but also have aftertouch sensing.

What I'm really wondering, though, is how plausible it will be to control JABB with Finale instead.
    The Edirol PCR-M1 is the newer MIDI version of the PCR-1. My point was that there is not a true mod wheel, so I have mapped that function to the expression pedal. It also has aftertouch.

I think it will be very plausible to control JABB with Finale.

[QUOTE=Dave Hoffman]The Edirol PCR-M1 is the newer MIDI version of the PCR-1.
    [QUOTE]

Yes. And unlike the PCR-1, the M1 doesn't have an audio interface in it--but the PCR-1 doesn't have pedal input.

I guess I could map one of the little twisty knobs into whatever channel I need, but of course it's hard to manipulate more than one of those at a time while playing music.

Any more comments on my original question? What I'm really trying to find out is whether it will be useful to control JABB from Finale, or whether I need to buy a keyboard with aftertouch.

IN need of help!!!

Just installed JABB, i'm running Finale 2006 on a MAC OSX system.
    1.is there a pdf or web site with the steps to use JABB in Finale?
    2. is there a way to include JABB in the "native instruments AU" drop down menu along with "Finale GPO"?

i have been using the sounds from my casio keyboard, but JABB sounds 100xs better.

thanks

Go Back to forum