• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Commiserations

Share/Bookmark

Commiserations

I can't help but being shocked by the havoc, death and destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina....it was only a few weeks ago that I came across the previous worse, but similar, natural disaster to hit America and that was in Galveston just over 100yrs ago.

My sympathies go with the American people who have to face the loss of lives and crippling financial costs to restore Mississipi and its environs to any sort of normality. Thousands of everyday folk are going to experience very difficult days, weeks and months ahead......

The world we live in is, by virtue of its nature, a perilous place to live in. It's only because we are so small in comparison and our lives so short that most of us escape the worst that nature regularly throws at us......our turn can come at any time....it's a lottery.

As if this wasn't enough, the poor wretched Iraqi folk have also suffered yet another tradgedy. We can only hope that their future will improve too as they have had enough to endure before, during and after the war.

I wish you all well.

Frank

Unhappy Re: Commiserations

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    I can't help but being shocked by the havoc, death and destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina. Frank
    I agree Frank. We have not stopped watching. We gave what we could to the Red Cross but it seems so insignificant.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: Commiserations

If you have ever been to New Orleans you will know what a special place this is, especially in terms of music. New Orleans regarded as the cradle of Jazz and there are many musicians who have been affected by Katrina. I just read a story in the Chicago Tribune about how Katrina is affecting musicians.

It is looking like Katrina is the most serious tragedy the USA has ever experienced. The pictures on the news looks like a nuclear bomb hit the area. Estimates say probably a million people will be homeless -- most of them poor. The current refugee site, The Superdome, is uninhabitable and people are being relocated to Houston (imagine 20,000+ people with no running water, no sewage, and no air conditioning). The roads leading in and out of New Orleans are severely damaged. Polluted water everywhere with sewage and possible dead bodies decaying in the water. Disease alone may to kill many people. The infrastructure for basic utilities such as electricity, gas, water, and telephone are severely damaged. Wooden structures (many homes) that are even partially submerged will need to be razed. And how will one move half the structures in the area and where will all of the debris go? Looting is rampant and the tourism industry is shot.

If you want to help out, donate to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund or visit FEMA's help information.

It's incredible how much damage one storm can do. New Orleans was spared the worst of the actual storm, which unfortunately clobered Mississippi and Alabama, but of course 85% of New Orleans is flooded from the broken leeves.

I visited New Orleans a few years ago and the city had a special charm.

The government has announced a comprehensive plan to aid the area but it will take years to rebuild.

I hope everyone that needs help gets it and are able to recover from this.

Cheers,
    JS

yea it's crazy and even more crazy is there are more Hurricanes on the way but all this seems to pale compared to me just finding out that my friend has killed himself....he was turning 21 in a month! much to young to give it up.
    a crazy world. Thank God there is Music in this world!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

StrangeCat,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Was he in the storm affected area?
    I've lost several close friends and relatives over the years so I can sympathise.
    It will get better eventually.

Cheers,
    JS

yeah, i dodged a bullet on this one. I live in the panhandle of florida

no he just fell to the depressions of life and maybe drugs had somethign to do with it I'll find out more later. I mean if he was doing like Extacy and something else, well that could do it and also blind you to turn back from killing yourself(thinking verses doing). I live in MInnesota so I am not effected by Hurricanes.
    What' happening in New Orleans is beyond sad but they had a two year warning of this sort of thing.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

It is terrible to see what's happening there.

I was visiting New Orleans a couple of years ago-a very charming city with great people-I really hope we do as much as we can to help those people!

Even it is not appropriate yet-but it is time to wake up and think about our enviroment! Nature is more powerful as all politicians and money in the world-I really hope the American government will understand this (this is not an offense just something to take in consideration!)

my prayers are with you for all the people in Louisiana!

imusic

Yes but at least the people in Louisiana have a chance to survive. Mississippi and Alabama had more immediate devastation and had no chance to survive.

It's sad for all. Hope it gets better soon.

Cheers,
    JS

Go Back to forum