• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Help Installing Kontakt 2

Share/Bookmark

Need Help Installing Kontakt 2

Well, it seems I messed up this installation of Kontakt 2. I want to put the samples on my separate drive. Also, I want to install the DXi and VSTi version, and put the DXi version in the shared DXi Cakewalk folder.

So after I installed, I moved the DXi to the shared DXi folder and put the sample libraries on the other drive. Now the DXi will not work and the Sonar VSTi/DXi adapter gives me an error message when I try to scan in the Kontakt 2 VST .dll.

If I uninstall and start again will this find and delete everything (except the sound libraries, which I loaded on the other drive)?

Also, if I do that and reinstall, there were two places where it asked me where to look for the plug in. Should I direct the first one to the shared DXi folder and the other to to the location where I will put the VSTi. Or is the first one for the library and the second one for the DXi (and the Sonar adapter takes care of finding the VSTi)?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Need Help Installing Kontakt 2

Hi jeffn1,

No I don't think you'll need to worry about your library because that was a separate install.

I'm useing K2 with Sonar-4 and have no problems allthough I've never used the DXi version of K2. I left the DXi where Kontakt put it which was in the same folder as the rest of K2. It does however have it's own folder labeled "DXi" (inside the "Kontakt 2" folder) and the "Kontakt2DXi.dll" is in that folder.

As far as the VSTi goes, it ended up on my OS drive in "Program Files". Actualy it's "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 2\VSTPlugins\Kontakt2.dll".

You might just try moveing these around before uninstalling and see what happens.

Hope it helps.

T.S.

Thanks. Considering the changes I made in where the folder are located, I think I am better off just uninstalling and reinstalling.

I will just put the VSTi in the appropriate VSTi folder and let NI put the DXi there too (in its separate folder).

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by T. S.
    Hi jeffn1,

No I don't think you'll need to worry about your library because that was a separate install.

I'm useing K2 with Sonar-4 and have no problems allthough I've never used the DXi version of K2. I left the DXi where Kontakt put it which was in the same folder as the rest of K2. It does however have it's own folder labeled "DXi" (inside the "Kontakt 2" folder) and the "Kontakt2DXi.dll" is in that folder.

As far as the VSTi goes, it ended up on my OS drive in "Program Files". Actualy it's "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 2\VSTPlugins\Kontakt2.dll".

You might just try moveing these around before uninstalling and see what happens.

Hope it helps.

T.S.
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I don't think you can move a DX or DXi dll and have it work. I think they are COM objects meaning your OS cannot find them if you move them after installation.

I would reinstall it and leave the DX dll where it is put. VST dlls can be moved around freely but are only visible in the VST path, which is usually Steinberg/VST Plugins folder.

If worse comes to worse you might be able to manually install the DX dll, but going to Start>Run...

Type in "regsvr32" into the "Open:" box then drag the DX dll into that same box. It should populate that box with the path to the dll (e.g. "regsrv32 C:\path\to\DX.dll". - or manually enter the path to the dll. Hit enter. You should see a popup that says it was successfully registered.

Open your host and see if it works.

fizbin

Hi fizbin,

Boy, between you and Bob I might learn something about Windows yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    I don't think you can move a DX or DXi dll and have it work. I think they are COM objects meaning your OS cannot find them if you move them after installation.
    Does this mean that for a DXi there is a little file being put in the OS somewhere (irregardless where the DXi goes at the point of installation) that basicaly tells where they have been located at the point of intalation?

I would reinstall it and leave the DX dll where it is put. VST dlls can be moved around freely but are only visible in the VST path, which is usually Steinberg/VST Plugins folder. fizbin
    My VSTi's are scattered all over the place. There are a few in the "Program File" Folder (only one under "Steinberg/VST Plugins") but for the most part they're on my "E:\ Drive" where I intended. So far Cakewalk has found all of them. Would it be better if they were all under "Steinberg/VST Plugins"?

I've been trying to keep as much off my OS drive (C:\) as possible but for plugins it's maybe not that big of deal.

T.S.

I uninstalled Kontatk 2, apparently succesfully, but the VST .dll and the DXi .dll are still there. I was tempted to delete them before reinstalling. Should I? Or should I leave them?

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by T. S.
    My VSTi's are scattered all over the place.
    T.S.
    Then they are either actually DXi's or Cakewalk has been configured to look for them where you are placing them.

fizbin

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I uninstalled Kontatk 2, apparently succesfully, but the VST .dll and the DXi .dll are still there. I was tempted to delete them before reinstalling. Should I? Or should I leave them?

jeffn1
    If you plan on installing them in different places I would delete them. The VST version dll should be in the VST plugins folder so that one doesn't matter. Your install should place it there also, simply overwriting it. As for the DX dll, it probably won't matter either, because the one that gets used is the one that is registered by the installer - still its best not to have clutter around so I would delete it so as not to confuse it with the other one if it gets installed in another location.

fizbin

Thanks for everyone's help. I am all set now (I think).

jeffn1

Go Back to forum