• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: But I trust you guys

Share/Bookmark

Talking OT: But I trust you guys

With Window's Xp's implementation of SP2 the original firewire standard appears to have been functionally castrated. Anyone know how to get around this?

More disheartening still, is the fact that during the process of my updating to SP2, ll but one of one of my External ADS firewire drive boxes got fried because the firmware was irretrievably corrupted in the process and my Drive kit enclosures were made into useless garbage by having been connected and turned on during the update. And.... all of my 5 External drives were in ADS technology firewire boxes. Poof....

For those using Windows systems, is it worth trying to stay with the (original) Firewire platform ( there was rumour of a way to edit the registry to re-enable the original firewire's capabilities and throughput speed.
    I know there is a new firewire protocol)?

OR,...... for those of you using external drives, is USB 2.0 doing just as good of a job? How is it working out for you? any complications, glitches or other noteworthy things I should think about?

All opinions are valued here.

On a different topic....

I have a Mac G4 Silver edition 800Mhz (dual OS - 9.22 & OSX panther I think)that still has its original CDRW drive in it.

What's the skinny on putting a new DVD+/- RW DL in it?....Does it have to be Apple?

OR......Can I take any other drives and hope that the Mac will Drive it? What are my options. Again Thanks for all of your help. All opinions are valued !!!

Blessings
    Pat

Re: OT: But I trust you guys

Pat

I have no answers to any of your questions (wish I did) but this is the first I've heard of changes to firewire in service pack 2. Could you tell me what seems to have changed?

And of course my sympathy. Losing five hard disks worth of data is really... well its so appalling that words fail me. I hope your backups were current.

Best wishes

Chet

With regard to the mac question - yes you can replace your cd/dvd internal drive with non-Apple products. Apple ships 'em that way. You can see for yourself using the Apple System Profile under Hardware - ATA.

I always try to buy a brand that has proven to work with my model of mac though. Information like that is pretty easy to come by online.

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    I have a Mac G4 Silver edition 800Mhz (dual OS - 9.22 & OSX panther I think)that still has its original CDRW drive in it.

What's the skinny on putting a new DVD+/- RW DL in it?....Does it have to be Apple?

OR......Can I take any other drives and hope that the Mac will Drive it? What are my options. Again Thanks for all of your help. All opinions are valued !!!

Blessings
    Pat
    Go to http://eshop.macsales.com/ . There they have great deals on superdrives. You can't just use any old dvdrw because some won't boot osx from CD and the ilife stuff won't work without a hack. That being said you can get a drive from these guys as cheap as any pc discount house.
    Chris

Hi,

USB 2.0 is working quite well here for me on XP. Have only run small sessions from it, but the throughput seems to be fine.

Cheers,

Joris

Difficult to tell from your post - but:

Your Hard Drives are IDE & are probably fine, along with your data. It will be an imposition & an expense, but one solution is to get a USB enclosure & stick that puppy into it. Hook it up & hope for the best.

I have 2 external USB Hard Drives - I have NOT installed SP2 - my PC is running just fine & I don't want to jack it up!

At work we often run into Hard Drives that will no longer boot. We simple install them as a slave drive & collect the user's data. then we reformat the drive & reimage. In my experience (organization with over 3000 PCs) Hard Drives don't go bad often (at least not to the point the data is irretrievable) & nothing in SP2 SHOULD have done any physical damage.

Good Luck.

David

Cool Re: OT: But I trust you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris
    Difficult to tell from your post - but:

Your Hard Drives are IDE & are probably fine, along with your data.

I have 2 external USB Hard Drives - I have NOT installed SP2 - my PC is running just fine & I don't want to jack it up!

In my experience (organization with over 3000 PCs) Hard Drives don't go bad often (at least not to the point the data is irretrievable) & nothing in SP2 SHOULD have done any physical damage.
    David
    Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. Yes, To clarify, my drives didn't go bad, (well except for one and it was only a year old.... Ugh!!!) ,, but all of the ADS Firewire enclosure boxes $70-$100 each) went bad. Irretrievably corrupted firmware in the box itself from being connected and turned on at the time of the SP2 update. For the most part, the drives are OK.

SP2 does nothing to hinder performance of USB 2.0 from what i understand, however,.... But,...after the fact,..... and finding none of my drives working in their boxes, I found this at ADS's web site.....

...."After updating to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices are greatly decreased.
    This issue has been addressed by Microsoft (KB Article ID: 885222) and a patch is available by clicking on the link below.

Note: Link below will redirect you to Microsoft’s website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

...which then goes on to say.....
    SYMPTOMS

After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

CAUSE

This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade.

RESOLUTION

Update information
    The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

DownloadDownload the Update for Windows XP (KB885222) package now.

(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

Release Date: December 17, 2004

Registry information

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

After you install this update, if you add a host controller for a new 1394 device to your computer, you must add or modify the SidSpeed entry in the Windows registry for the new 1394 host controller. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\P CI\1394_hc_hw_id\1394_instance_id\Device Parameters
    3. If the SidSpeed value does not exist in the right pane after you click the Device Parameters subkey in step 2, create it. To do this, point to New on the Edit menu, click DWORD Value, type SidSpeed, and then press ENTER.
    4. Right-click SidSpeed, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, type one of the values that are shown in the following table, and then click OK.
    Value Speed
    0 S100 speed
    1 S200 speed
    2 S400 speed (default value)
    3 S400/S800 speed (Windows XP Service Pack 1 [SP1] value)
    Note If you try to use a value that is larger than 3, SidSpeed will use a value of 0 (S100 speed).
    6. Quit Registry Editor.

File information

Date Time Version Size File name
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    04-Nov-2004 20:59 5.1.2600.2549 6,656 Cstupd1394sidspeed.dll
    04-Nov-2004 19:33 5.1.2600.2549 61,184 Ohci1394.sys

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

824684 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/) Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates

APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Keywords: atdownload kbwinxppresp3fix kbfix kbbug KB885222

All of this came a little late, as ADS admitted to me over the phone that what had actually happened during the update was, that because my boxes were connected and turned on, the firmware irretreivably corrupted. No fix has been found. So, I hope that helps in the answering of what happened to me.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    All of this came a little late, as ADS admitted to me over the phone that what had actually happened during the update was, that because my boxes were connected and turned on, the firmware irretreivably corrupted. No fix has been found. So, I hope that helps in the answering of what happened to me.
    I would pursue a replacement/repair with ADS. It is ludicrous that they would expose their firmware in such a manner that software installation of any kind would corrupt it.

Go Back to forum