• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: GARRITAN JAZZ & BIG BAND DEMOS!

Share/Bookmark

GARRITAN JAZZ & BIG BAND DEMOS!

Garritan Jazz and Big Band Demos

Here are the first round of public demos of the new Garritan Jazz and Big Band library - a library we hope will help fill a conspicuous vacancy in the world of sample libraries. These first demos are intended to give a taste of many of the new instruments and their capabilities. These demos are also rather brief and to the point. We hope you enjoy them and find the implications enticing and exciting.

1. Jazz quartet with tenor sax, piano, fretless bass, and brush drum kit. Details about the individual instruments are contained in the instrument-specific demos below.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/01Quartet_Demo.mp3

2. Soprano sax, Rhodes keyboard, fretted Jazz bass, and fusion drum kit. All inflections in the soprano sax are programmed, including bends, vibrato intensity and speed, tongue/slur, attack strength, etc.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/02SopranoSax_Rhodes_Demo.mp3

3. Horns and rhythm section with Scream Trumpet. Horns include bari sax, tenor sax, alto sax, trombone, and a scream trumpet on top. Certain characteristics of the trumpet are controllable, like the “kiss” at the end of the final “double high C.“ Rhythm section is Rhodes, fretted Jazz bass, and fusion drum kit.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/03HornSection_ScreamTpt_Demo.mp3

4. Flugelhorn, vibes, upright bass, and classic Jazz drum kit. Again, all inflections in the Flugelhorn are programmed using the extensive MIDI controllers. The vibes are available in both hard and soft mallets; this demo uses the hard mallets.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/04Flugelhorn_Vibes_Demo.mp3

5. Selection of saxophones. The Garritan Jazz and Big Band library contains an unusually large list of instruments from the saxophone family - 16 in all; this includes rarely seen instruments like the sopranino, contrabass sax, and sub-contrabass sax. This demo uses essentially the same MIDI data (with a few modifications) for each of the featured saxophones. Octave transpositions, key transpositions and some phrase transpositions have been applied to keep each instrument in its “bread and butter” range. There have also been some modifications to articulations and tempi to supply some variety to the demos while still maintaining a direct comparison between types. Each saxophone has expressive controls (mod wheel volume/timbre, sustain pedal tongue/slur, velocity attack strength, etc.) but adds some new controls for things like key click sounds and air flow noise. There are also breath sounds available (and used in this demo.) The saxophones are demonstrated in this order: Tenor sax, bass sax, alto sax, soprano sax, bari sax, sopranino, and contra-bass sax.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/05Saxophone_Selection_Demo.mp3

6. Steinway Jazz piano. This Steinway jazz piano has been designed with variable brightness control to allow adjustments to suit different mixing requirements. The brightness control in this demo is set to a moderate level. This demo features the excellent playing of W. Michael Jaap.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/06Piano_Demo.mp3

7. Vintage Electric Keyboard (Rhodes) This demo is in two parts: The first part is “dry” with the tremolo control turned off. The second part has the tremolo control turned on at a modest level. The programming of this instrument mimics the stereo speaker tremolo of the original instrument. Once again, the artist playing this demo is W. Michael Jaap.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/07Rhodes_Demo.mp3

8. Upright bass. The Jazz and Big Band library contains two fine upright basses. The two basses differ somewhat in basic sound character. Both instruments have extensive controls for string noises, finger noises, and amount of low bass content, along with the usual expressive controls. The demo is in two parts, one for each bass.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/08Upright_Bass_Demo.mp3

9. Brush drum kit. This is one of the really groundbreaking features of the new library. The snare brush stirs are actually “playable.” This means that the brush stirs can be programmed at any given tempo and this tempo information can be later modified at will. This demo illustrates this unusual feature. The same MIDI data is repeated 3 times. The first time is at a medium tempo. The second time is at a slower tempo but leads to an accelerando near the end of this section. The third time is at a fast tempo. Note that the stirs follow all of the tempo changes. Of course, this demo also shows the various brush “hits” available for snare, toms, and cymbals.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/09Brush_DrumKit_Demo.mp3

10. Classic Jazz drum kit. This and demo #11 use essentially the same MIDI data. The classic Jazz kit uses single layer drum heads and a 15in hihat for the distinctive sound of classic Jazz drumming. This and the following demo are designed to display each of the drum and cymbal types in the kit for sound evaluation. Both kits are recorded “in place” in true stereo for a excellent three dimensional image.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/10Classic_JazzKit_Demo.mp3

11. Fusion Jazz drum kit. This kit uses double layer heads and a 14in. hihat, along with other techniques to create the “tight” and dry sound of fusion recordings. All ride and crash cymbal choices are available to both kits. Different cymbals are used for these two demos to show some of the possibilities. Both demos are mixed dry.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/11Fusion_DrumKit_Demo.mp3

12. Brass Range Demo. The extremely extended range of the brass in the Jazz and Big Band library is demonstrated with this brief mix. The instruments are trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, and drums. The final note of the trumpet is the highest actual note recorded for the library - triple high C (concert Bb.) Once again, notice that the last note has the characteristic “kiss,” a switchable characteristic in the library.

www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/12Brass_Range_Demo.mp3

---------------------------

In the coming weeks and months there will be additional demos showing section work and full big band mixes, along with more of the individual instruments, programming features, and brass mute choices. Stay tuned!

To learn more about Jazz & Big Band or to pre order, please visit - http://www.garritan.com/jazz.html

Re: GARRITAN JAZZ & BIG BAND DEMOS!

YAY!!!!!!!

Haven't listened yet, but I'm sure they're GREAT!!!!

Just listened to them all.

Killer...EVERYTHING!!!!
    Gary, you and Tom are AMAZING!!!!

-Chris

Those upright basses kill me. Yummy.

I listened to most of the demos, and all I can say is...

WOW!

Sounds great. Can't wait to hear more.

Thumbs up Re: GARRITAN JAZZ & BIG BAND DEMOS!

good grief - effective, swinging, convincing jazz with samples - another cherished myth bites the dust...

CONGRATS GARY AND TEAM!
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

The breath noises in the sax selection demo are too much!

(What, no ordering discount for SPEBSQSA members?!)
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Good stuff!

Now... MORE!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    The breath noises in the sax selection demo are too much!
    Oh dear, *and* keyclick sounds!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Oh my... Gonna have some fun with this one
    Pat Azzarello
    http://www.patazzarello.com

First off, the classic jazz kit is extremely nice -- I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that demo! [grin] Very authentic-sounding, and definitely very usable for my purposes. The brush kit is exceptionally impressive, as well.

Great to hear the new Steinway piano as well -- I love the perspective on this instrument and will probably use this as my new all-purpose piano.

The attention to detail in the saxophones and the brass (especially in the extreme registers) is exceptional -- certainly far and away above anything else I've heard to date.

Again, this is a very impressive collection of demos. I can't wait to get my hands on it -- although of course I'm glad you guys took the time to do it right. You should knock 'em dead at IAJE.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast