• Register
  • Help

Topic: Animation film music... comments welcome!

Share/Bookmark

Animation film music... comments welcome!

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear your comments about my first attempt with "cartoon" music.

http://www.ghmusic.it/library/kaktuz.mp3

(Edit: full video available at http://www.ghmusic.it/library/kaktuz.mpg - 34 Mb)

This is the full-lenght soundtrack (without end titles) of a short animation film I've recently worked on. Obviously the music alone loses much of its "meaning" when separated from the video...

The film is the ironic love story between two small home-grown cactus... :-) Working on it was soooo funny!

I've used Sonar 3 and Gigastudio 3 with some VSL, some DD Solo Woodwinds and some London Orchestral Percussions.

Let me know what you think. Any comment is very welcome!

Luca A.
    GH Music
    www.ghmusic.it

Re: Animation film music... comments welcome!

hi luca,
    wow, a very impressive work,
    can't wait to see the animation.
    Good work with the String FX, and the different rooms.

go on
    andy

Effective job Luca, nice balancement and flowing.

I would consider though substituting some of DD woods. I like their timbre but the attacks sound a bit fake in my opinion, too rounded and smooth. I'm afraid they have been processed a bit too much when developed.

Keep posting

Luca

Nice work!

Very visual.

I agree… I'd like to see the animation as well.

Luca,

Sounds beautiful! Great work. I'd be interested in learning about your recording/mastering techniques - the instruments are so clear and brilliant.

-Matt

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments! :-)

I'll try to upload the video file as well (edit: video available at http://www.ghmusic.it/library/kaktuz.mpg - 34 Mb).

To McKelly: No recording technique at all, the music was programmed in Sonar 4 "note by note" using mouse & keyboard (I mean the PC keyboard, not a musical keyboard). The reverbs are the Lexicon Pantheon that comes with Sonar and the NFX that comes with Gigastudio. For final mastering I used a Waves L3 Ultramaximizer plugin. I had a very limited time (about 36 hours to do all the music and sound effects), so there was no chance to try different solutions: I just created a large Sonar/Gigastudio project with all the tracks and SFX, then mixed it down to stereo, applied L3 and burnt it to CD.

To Luca: you're right about the DD Woodwinds, I just could not load into GS the VSL woods because I did not have enough memory. As I said, all the instruments were loaded simultaneously on a single PC running both Sonar and GS (via Giga VST Adapter)... so unfortunately I needed some "light" samples.

Thanks again for your comments,
    Ciao!

Luca

Very Cool Luca, nice work..

Best,

Irvin

Go Back to forum