• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Miroslav zipper noise-ouch!

Share/Bookmark

Miroslav zipper noise-ouch!

Ok, I bought it, and the sounds are nice (as we all know), but:

assigning Mod Wheel to Volume works but with *very * nasty zipper noise.
    Has anyone else had this? And is there a cure ?

Right now, I had a better sound using the old Akai patches converted for exs24, with completely flexible modulation routings!!

Nigel

Re: Miroslav zipper noise-ouch!

I haven't had any problems with the AMV patches or the EXP patches 'out of the box.' Conversely, there are problems when using CC#12 and CC#7 to control volume. Both give me jumpy results.

Why do you need to assign the mod wheel to volume, most of the library is covered by AMV patches that use mod wheel CC#1 to control the 'swell' of the instrument?

Nigel,
    Does this happen with only one part loaded, or is it just when several parts are loaded, and all set to the same MIDI channel (even if they are muted?). I am having problems in that second situation.
    Joseph,
    When CC#12 is sent to the default "Swell" macro, I too am getting strange results even when I have only one part loaded.. but what you describe for CC#7 and part volume only happens here when i have several parts loaded. (btw, I don't think that is a question of CPU overload, as can happen when several parts are loaded... I mean here by simply playing and holding *a single note* then slowly moving the CC#)

vic,

It happens all the time irregardless of # of instruments loaded or instances running. I get it when using both CC#12 for swell (default setting for parent patches) and when using CC# 7 which I'm not sure is even supported. Using AMV and EXP (CC#1 and CC#11 respectively) I don't have issues at all.

I've already passed this along to Dave at Sonic Reality, but I fear its a problem with the engine therefor it solely rests in the hands of IK to fix.

Its not that bad though since I mostly use the AMV patches anyway and those so far have been super.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    vic,
    Using AMV and EXP (CC#1 and CC#11 respectively) I don't have issues at all.
    Could you please try the following experiment (if you haven't already done so!)..Add progressively more instruments (either EXPD presets, or manually add the same CC# of your choice to aother types of presets, applied to either "Swell" or to "Part Volume") into the rack (all parts to the same MIDI channel), then hold down a note and move the CC#. Here at home it seems to be a cumulative effect... so possibly ultimately dependent on CPU... for me it starts getting a problem at about 6 parts.. maybe for you it will kick in at 15!.. even if the parts are muted (as per SampleTank2, the mutes and solos are merely audio, they don't prevent the notes from being triggered!)
    I've already passed this along to Dave at Sonic Reality, but I fear its a problem with the engine therefor it solely rests in the hands of IK to fix.
    I'm hesitating on whom to contact too... I agree this is an engine problem, but from a players' point of view, I bet Dave knows Philharmonik far better than the programmers at I.K.Multimedia!, and, if he is able to confirm this (these) controller problems, I.K. will hopefully take more immediate action than if they simply received tech support requests from mere mortals!:-)
    EDIT: Just to add that I have just set up a similar situation in SampleTank2, with no problems at all... so this would appear to be something introduced with the new engine.

Vic, I'll check it out when I get home in front of the DAW.

You know guys, all the permutations are interesting, but please excuse me when I say life's too short for this kind of thing.

I would just like to have a software wrapper that works. If it doesn't, well, maybe it was a poor buy. There could be a case for sending it back, maybe.

I am suprised by the problem though, because Sampletank has been around for quite a while.

best

Nigel

Well, I can understand your frustration. However, the answers to "all the permutations" is what makes the problem easier to identify and then, hopefully, correct. (I mean, if you had to go to the doctor, you'd at least try to explain the symptoms to him, yes? )

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    Well, I can understand your frustration. However, the answers to "all the permutations" is what makes the problem easier to identify and then, hopefully, correct. (I mean, if you had to go to the doctor, you'd at least try to explain the symptoms to him, yes? )
    Hi Vic

That's true -I've spent so much time just troubleshooting my computer system. Now it works well and I can concentrate on what I want to do. But that's slightly different to a software Instrument.

please understand, I don't mean to be rude, but it makes me frustrated when somebody sells me something as a "creative tool" but which doesn't work as it should, then on top of that expects me to use my precious time troubleshooting and beta-testing for free, when I just want to compose music.

As far as your analogy with the doctor is concerned, you're quite right, but in this case the "patient" has "another body" which he can use while the sick one recovers or is cured :-)!

I will put the Miroslav Instrument to one side for now and see whether any Updates are forthcoming. I will inform IK Multimedia of the problem, though.

Joseph- I like to have continuous controllers available for volume on all instruments, not just the AMV ones, it makes the patches much more fun to play. Actually, PitchBend is my preferred Volume Controller(because it defaults to a middle value and is sprung) but it seems to be fixed in Miroslav so the Mod Wheel will have to do.

Good luck everybody!

Nigel

Info update...
    I normally use the VST version of Philharmonik in Cubase SX Mac, but I've just tried the AU version in Digital Performer, and the cumulative problem I was having with CC#s seems to be working fine in DP (but still the same problem with CC#12 and the default "Swell" macro).

Go Back to forum