• Register
  • Help

Topic: Custom Finale Keyswitch maps

Share/Bookmark

Custom Finale Keyswitch maps

Hi all,

I am very much enjoying Finale 2006 and love the fact that when I select Pizz from the expression tool, Finale automatically sends the corresponding keyswitch to GPO.

What I would like to know is how can I customize other libraries to act the same way. For example, say I have built a keyswitch instrument in gigastudio that is made up of GOS patches. How can I get the pizz and arco and tremolo expressions to send the same keyswitches to this instrument. Is it a matter of just mapping the keyswitches in the instrument to the same keys? That would be pretty easy. If thats the case does anyone know off hand what the mapping is?

I noticed that the "Text Expression Designer" dialog box in Finale that the "playback" command is set to "Dump" and that the corresponding values are:

Number of Units=3
    Data $90
    $05
    $7F

Is this sysex? If so couldnt that data be applied via midi to a gigastudio instrument?

Also, what if I want to make custom expressions like "Sul Tasto" so that I get a new keyswitch on the same instrument that is then sul tasto?

Tom are you out there??

Much thanks for any help.

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: Custom Finale Keyswitch maps

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick
    What I would like to know is how can I customize other libraries to act the same way. For example, say I have built a keyswitch instrument in gigastudio that is made up of GOS patches. How can I get the pizz and arco and tremolo expressions to send the same keyswitches to this instrument. Is it a matter of just mapping the keyswitches in the instrument to the same keys? That would be pretty easy. If thats the case does anyone know off hand what the mapping is?

Andy
    Andy,

Here's a link to a thread from last year.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27448

In this thread, Robert Pièchaud explains how to create an expression in Finale that uses the "dump" command for playback. You can use this technique to create Finale expressions to trigger any keyswitch you choose from any library. Then save it as a text expression library, and you'll be able to import it into any future document.

Jeff

This is great -- but wait! You mean there's a way to get GigaStudio stuff to play in Finale 2006? How How How?

I'd been under the impression that this couldn't happen unless you bought the Full Kontakt player (which, I further read, is itself amazingly complicated with Finale, etc.). Or whatever. Can somebody enlighten me?
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Uh.... It's time for Robert Piéchaud to chime in! lol

I have not tried to use any VST but GPO, since that is all I have. And on my student budget it is likely all I will have.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

First off, Gigastudio isn't a VST its a standalone application, therefor must be fed from ANY program via midi or ReWire. So, yes, you'd just have to route midi out of Finale using the appropriate virtual Gigastudio midi port.

As far as I'm aware, Finale 2006 will only work with Native Instruments VST instruments (Kontakt, Kompakt, GPO Player, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Actually it's easy to get Gigastudio to play from Finale. Gigastudio creates it's own set of virtual MIDI ports and you just choose them from the MIDI setup screen in Finale.

Tom
    Hey Tom, where are you finding that? I don't see 'em listed in my Midi Advanced drop-down. Do I have to open Gigastudio to see it in Finale? And, also, do I have to somehow configure Gigastudio's own settings so that Finale can see IT? (FYI, because my soundcard isn't GSIF compatible, I have to run GigaStudio in re-wire mode when I use Sonar 4)...

Hope you can help!
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Then you won't be able to use it. If you don't have GSIF drivers, Gigastudio will not work unless in ReWire mode. Last time I looked Finale wasn't ReWire capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Then you won't be able to use it. If you don't have GSIF drivers, Gigastudio will not work unless in ReWire mode. Last time I looked Finale wasn't ReWire capable.
    Thanks for clarifying, Joseph... that actually helps explain a lot of things...

It's my fault, actually -- I tried to upgrade to a new midi interface (the Tascam us-122), and discovered that while I loved all its ports/sockets for plugging gear in, I HATED the sound of the audio output in my headphones! So I went back to using my Creative SB Audigy 2 card that came with my computer, which has great sound, but isn't GSIF compatible and, it seems from their website, never will be....

if only I could get the US-122 to sound better! And the salesman said it would sound so good!

Maybe there's a good all-in-one soundcard I can get out there that isn't either of the above options? Because then it sounds like I could run GigaStudio in Finale 2006... IS THAT CORRECT?

Thanks for all your help!
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Hi!

Have you tried MIDI Joke NT? It's a virtual MIDI cable, like the old Hubi's loopback device, but which works with Windows XP. It creates up to eight virtual MIDI ports in your computer. I haven't got Finale or any other notation software, but maybe you can route Finale's MIDI out to a virtual port, and have GigaStudio listening in the same port. Installing MIDI Joke is quite easy. The link is: 3w dot midiox dot com. (sorry for the spelling, but it seems like I can't post URL's)

Hope it works... let me know

-Dani-

Actually, it's called MIDI-Yoke, in case anybody would want to Google it.
    MIDI-OX

Go Back to forum