• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Windows xp home (Please Help)

Share/Bookmark

Windows xp home (Please Help)

Hi

Im running a Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ with windows XP home edition as the operating system, thats how I bought it.....The PC has 1gb ram 200 gb Hard Drive with an Intel chip set 875p motherboard and Creamware Luna 11 as a soundcard which is multiclient with GSIF....will Gigatudio 3 Orchestra work on the XP home edition as well as the pro xp.....I personally cant see any difference...If so , this will save a lot of time and money!

Best Wishes

Vivjon

Re: Windows xp home (Please Help)

Of course.

XP PRO is an upgrade from WIndows 2000 Pro; XP Home is a different animal.
    If you want speed and who doesn't; nice clean sound no breakups or note dropouts, this is the config for a very busy DAW. XP PRO handles RAID arrays whereas XP HOME doesn't; not without some help from JAVA and you wont be able to change your HDs to Dynamic.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Talking Re: Windows xp home (Please Help)

"XP Home doesn't handle RAID"? Oh my God I've built a hundred machines that don't work!! I'd better leave the country...maybe OZ or someplace where they won't know. Cheers, jc

The only significant difference is that XP Pro supports dual processor machines. The networking differences are pretty irrlevant for an audio machine.

It's all on the Microslop website for anyone to find with a little looking:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...choosing2.mspx

- G

Talking Re: Windows xp home (Please Help)

Oh sure, muddy the waters with facts! jc

XP Pro also does Remote Desktop, which works very well with apps such as FX-Teleport, oh and Networks are not irrelevant for a DAW!

D

Yeah but there's no problem with MOL using Home and I'll bet the same holds true for FX teleport. Cheers, jc

Quote Originally Posted by yankeezulu
    Yeah but there's no problem with MOL using Home and I'll bet the same holds true for FX teleport. Cheers, jc
    Of course, I was just mentioning why I got Pro and not Home.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    oh and Networks are not irrelevant for a DAW!

D
    Not to pick nits, but I didn't say networks are irrelevant.. I said the network differences between XP Home & XP Pro are "pretty irrelevant". For most people, they won't matter. I actually do have all four of my audio machines on a LAN, running Home.

The price difference between Home & Pro is a fair bit of coin.

- G

Go Back to forum