• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Ideal Solution for Sample Piracy!

Share/Bookmark

The Ideal Solution for Sample Piracy!

How would you react if booming voice boomed through your speakers and berated you for pirating? The music industry is conidering whether to adopt a new invention which buries around 20 kilobits of speech data in a waveform without affecting how it sounds. "Their technique exploits the fact that the tones of a musical instrument are made up of a complex pattern of randomly phased harmonics.

By forcing a few of these harmonics to move in and out of phase with a chosen reference, they can be made to convey a digital message. These phase shifts are so small they are imperceptible to the ear. But a software decoder, which could be built into software players, detects the phase shifts and turns them into speech."

Imaging sample pirates getting a loud warning "STOP YOU THIEF! YOU ARE STEALING THESE SOUNDS! YOU WILL NOW BE INFLICTED WITH INCESSANT DISCO YODELING!" Maybe Bruce Richardson or NewMusicBoy can do the yodeling

This is one of the better copy protection schemes I've heard of to date.

Re: The Ideal Solution for Sample Piracy!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    It has the potential to be one of the most amusing, at least.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I am available...and if Jessica Simpson would also like to perform a duet, more that available
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    I am available...and if Jessica Simpson would also like to perform a duet, more that available
    We tried to get Jessica, but I'm afraid you'll have to settle for Ashlee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoffman
    We tried to get Jessica, but I'm afraid you'll have to settle for Ashlee.
    And it really wouldn't be a duet . . . she would be lip-syncing to your voice.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Ashee will do just fine...for NMB

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    And it really wouldn't be a duet . . . she would be lip-syncing to your voice.
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Ashee will do just fine...for NMB
    As it turns out, Ashlee's not available either - prior commitment for JABB. But Gary has definitely booked Lisa...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Posted by Gary: "...But a software decoder, which could be built into software players, detects the phase shifts and turns them into speech."

The ultimate would be technology that turns all pirated media into “Disco Bagpipes”. I have always said that there can never be foolproof protection. This would prove me wrong. However, lost revenue due to pirating might not be recovered due to lawsuits to recover the costs of shock therapy to those unfortunate enough to have tried to pirate.

Did that make sense?

I hope not

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    The ultimate would be technology that turns all pirated media into “Disco Bagpipes”. I have always said that there can never be foolproof protection. This would prove me wrong. However, lost revenue due to pirating might not be recovered due to lawsuits to recover the costs of shock therapy to those unfortunate enough to have tried to pirate.

Did that make sense?

I hope not

…2112
    Brian, Makes perfect sense! the ultimate deterent.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    How would you react if booming voice boomed through your speakers and berated you for pirating? The music industry is conidering whether to adopt a new invention which buries around 20 kilobits of speech data in a waveform without affecting how it sounds. "Their technique exploits the fact that the tones of a musical instrument are made up of a complex pattern of randomly phased harmonics.

By forcing a few of these harmonics to move in and out of phase with a chosen reference, they can be made to convey a digital message. These phase shifts are so small they are imperceptible to the ear. But a software decoder, which could be built into software players, detects the phase shifts and turns them into speech."

Imaging sample pirates getting a loud warning "STOP YOU THIEF! YOU ARE STEALING THESE SOUNDS! YOU WILL NOW BE INFLICTED WITH INCESSANT DISCO YODELING!" Maybe Bruce Richardson or NewMusicBoy can do the yodeling

I like it, in terms of its entertainment value...essentially a vocoder in disguise.

The problem I have with it, though, is the same problem I have with any of the punitive copy protection schemes. If it is invoked by some emergency situation in a legitimate user's practice, it causes that user to lose the use of tools he is depending upon for his livelihood. It is a system designed not to be mission critical, but to break...the very opposite of a mission critical system which would be designed to heal itself by every means possible if "broken."

I would far rather see every effort placed upon copy protection systems which are designed to identify those who "share," and which place the burden upon the shoulders of those individuals who cause the problem.

The kinds of technologies which excite me the most are installer based solutions, which would shake hands with a central server, and imprint user information in watermarks. I would be supportive of credit-card tied identification systems. I would be supportive of ANY system which makes identification and transparency its key component. I believe that this is the ultimate solution--creating a situation where there is no place to hide.

Go Back to forum