• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 2 load times... are these accurate?

Share/Bookmark

Question Kontakt 2 load times... are these accurate?

Hi,

Just received this product. I did a test this morning loading a Sonar file using 6 sample instruments (Bardstown Piano, SI Strings). I adjusted the K2 DFD preload buffer size to 90 kb for three of the SI samples for better playability. K1 is in "normal" mode with a preload buffer size of 192kb.

Kontakt 1 - 247Mb - 44 sec.
    Kontakt 2 - 183Mb - 1 min. 38 sec!

As you can see, I'm loading fewer megabytes with Kontakt 2 yet the load time is doubled! Is this normal? Anything I can tweak to improve this?

Thanks,
    Jon

Re: Kontakt 2 load times... are these accurate?

I haven't noticed much difference in load time. Try rebuilding the database - I have realized that because Kontakt 1.x knows where the samples are doesn't mean K2 does.

Cool Re: Kontakt 2 load times... are these accurate?

As a former computer software guy, I've found that it is really important to try to judge apples against apples and not include red herrings by comparing apples with oranges. (Pardon the slight mixture of metaphors, but I think you get my point.)

I don't use Sonar (my sequencer is Cubase SX 2) but I have had HALion 2 and HALion 3 for some time. In general, I am not of the opinion that loading an "equivalent" instrument (or set of samples) in Kontakt 2 is particularly different that doing it in HALion. That said, however, it would be interesting to devise a series of "parallel tests" whicch use similar sequences (say Cubase SX 2, SX 3, Sonar, and a couple more) with Kontakt 2 (and perhaps HALion) on a small collection of "standard" instruments. Unfortunately, it would almost take a controlled computer testing lab as getting things to be "level" (i.e., the same CPU power, optimization -- or not -- of the Operating System, defragmentation of the hard drive[s], amount of RAM, DFD settings and the like) may be beyond any cooperative effort.

To simply shout out "my Kontakt 2 load times are twice as long!" would seem to be alarmist and of little value to the community at large.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 ... KevinKauai

Sorry Kevin I didn't know I was "shouting". I certainly don't want to alarm the community. In effect this is a controlled environment... same MB, CPU, HD, RAM, OS, level of XP optimization, defrag, etc. In addition, the sample data, multi-instrument front-end characteristics, and sequencer are identical. Same sequence, just different Kontakt versions.

As I stated, K2 is right off the shelf... brand new. I've heard that this version puts more of a load on a CPU, but that isn't occurring here (Athlon 3700). I know the DFD settings and structure is different with K2, but I don't want to change anything until I hear from other users (like dvincent).

Jon

Thumbs up Re: Kontakt 2 load times... are these accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    I haven't noticed much difference in load time. Try rebuilding the database - I have realized that because Kontakt 1.x knows where the samples are doesn't mean K2 does.
    Ok, I'll try that.

Thanks "d"

Jon:

Make sure that you've updated Kontakt 2 to the latest version (2.02).
    I noticed that the load times improved significantly with the latest update.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetho
    Make sure that you've updated Kontakt 2 to the latest version (2.02). I noticed that the load times improved significantly with the latest update.
    Thanks Tom...

I am at 2.02 right now. I take it then that you saw a slowdown as well? I read at the VI Control forum that adjusting the individual instrument DFD settings "downward" can impact load times significantly. However, you increase the chance of dropouts if they're set too low. Have you (or anyone else) adjusted these from the default settings?

Jon

Hi Cmpsr, i adjust the buffer size to 24kb or 36kb and it works fine. The loading time is much much faster. I do get occassional cut notes, but its the only way to load 40-50 channels of instruments without using all the memory on one computer.

I think there is something very wrong with yor loading times. It is taking way too long for such small size. Where do you have your samples stored, is it a new, unfragmented drive or an old one? But then again you are using a very large pre-load buffer.

Does it ever bring up the Find samples dialogue perhaps and it starts searching the whole drive?

The list you mentioned would load in around 20 seconds here i think, maybe even less at a 24 kb setting.

Note that you can load stuff at 24kb for fast loading and then, having the windows Task Manager open, start increasing the buffer size until you leave around 400 MB free for windows XP and system, the rest can all be samples and work quite well.

Hope this helps
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Thumbs up Re: Kontakt 2 load times... are these accurate?

Hey thanks Theodore,

Where do you have your samples stored, is it a new, unfragmented drive or an old one?
    On a new Maxtor SATA 100Gb drive. I use it as a "sample only" drive.

Does it ever bring up the Find samples dialogue perhaps and it starts searching the whole drive?.
    Occasionally, I have rebuilt the database several times so it rarely has trouble.

Note that you can load stuff at 24kb for fast loading and then, having the windows Task Manager open, start increasing the buffer size until you leave around 400 MB free for windows XP and system, the rest can all be samples and work quite well. Hope this helps
    Thanks.. I'll try your suggestion. By "buffer size" I assume you're talking about the Options/DFD slider? I know there's got to be a "happy medium" here somewhere. I appreciate your attempt to help. I'll get back with the results.
    Jon

Hey good news!

I adjusted the individual DFD buffer sizes to 30k, and then dedicated a full 480Mb to the Options/DFD slider (expert mode tab). With piano and strings only, I'm loading about 80Mb initially so the load time is about 25 seconds... big improvement! Best of all, no dropouts so far.

Thanks for all your help guys. I think I turned the corner on this one.

Jon

Go Back to forum