• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Samples for Big Band? Also, tutorial.

Share/Bookmark

Red face Best Samples for Big Band? Also, tutorial.

Dumb newbie questions

1.What do you all recommend for samples for Jazz Big Band? The standard 4 Trumpets, 4 bones, 5 saxes, piano, bass, guitar, and drums.

2. Is a software tutorial in the works for version 3????????? The cd set Gigastudio Mastery Tutorial is for what version?

I just bought Gigastudio 3 Orchestra along with a Tascam US 122, certain that I was wasting my time and money. After reading many posts here I was certain that I was only headed for aggravation. My system is only a Pentium 2.2 (3 years old) with 1 gig of Ram and a separate Western Digital USB 2.0 drive for the samples. Not only that, but my Windows XP is the Japanese version.

I was blown away. It works. I am delirious. I have stayed up all night listening to the wave files that I created. Beautiful!!! I am a Giga junkie. I will not leave the house or my computer for days. I am not answering my phone either. Is this normal? I live in Long Beach, and the sun is coming out. Stop me.

Re: Best Samples for Big Band? Also, tutorial.

Are you really an economics professor? :-)

Gigastudio Mastery is indeed version 2. One for version 3 is in production, there's a post about it a while back. "Coming soon."

The old Gigastudio Mastery is still relevant for the instrument editor and several other things but I'd wait for the version 3 one.

-Alison

If you can get a good deal on Quantum Leap Brass, pick it up. It has its limitations, but has lots of great effects. I downloaded a brush kit from sonicimplants that works well and was very inexpensive. If you want a restrained bass, a classical solo pizz can work. I use Kirk Hunter's solo bass. It has slides and damped tones as well as standard pizz. GS3 already comes with piano. Sampletekk has downloadable vibes. I haven't shopped for guitars, as I play.

Here's some good news: after getting GS3, your risk of skin cancer has decreased dramatically - as long as you're not using a CRT.

-JF

As much as I love Giga, I think you shold also consider that the Garritan Jazz/Big Band app is coming pretty soon, and it definitely will be far better gthan anything released for GS in terms of big bands. I'm sure it will run on that computer with no sweat, the player has much more lenient requirements.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Tcovem:Yes, I really teach economics. Long Beach City College in California. My name is Scott Wells. If anyone needs help with a term paper...... I also teach Japanese. I just left 10 years doing so in Long Beach Unified.

Jon: I will take your advice and check it out.

Soundsmith: What do you think of Quantum Leap? As I am new at this game, I was surprised at the thought that Garritan could beat out Giga. I have heard the Garritan personal orchestra (I actually have it buried around here somewhere) and I honestly don't think it comes close to the Sonic Implants Symphony demo files that I have heard at the Sonic Implants website. The Sonic Implants demo files can "fool me" but the Garritan demos can't. You know a lot more than I do. I am planning on buying the Sonic Implants strings and brass (the academic versions) for orchestral music, unless someone here tells me that I am making a mistake.

I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S HELP. I can understand that given the expertise you all have, these types of basic questions could be, well, boring.

It's nice to hear someone confess to being a giga junkie. I have a feeling everyone here is, but no one has put it that way. I've been like this for months now. I lost my girlfriend. My sanity is next.

IT's STILL WORTH IT!!!!

Belbin

I'm definitely a giga junkie... it's gone so far as me spending hundreds of hours writing music for television just to get my fix ;-). Sure, I CALL it "reinvesting in my business" but after the umteenth project on which I break even because I sink my fee into more samples and plugins, my spouse has started to wonder if an intervention is in order...

Thumbs up Re: Best Samples for Big Band? Also, tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by economicsprofessor
    I am delirious. I have stayed up all night listening to the wave files that I created. Beautiful!!! I am a Giga junkie. I will not leave the house or my computer for days. I am not answering my phone either. Is this normal?
    Hey man.... You sound just like ME.....

(welcome to the world of the "Giga Junkies")

Quote Originally Posted by economicsprofessor
    Soundsmith: What do you think of Quantum Leap? As I am new at this game, I was surprised at the thought that Garritan could beat out Giga. I have heard the Garritan personal orchestra (I actually have it buried around here somewhere) and I honestly don't think it comes close to the Sonic Implants Symphony demo files that I have heard at the Sonic Implants website. The Sonic Implants demo files can "fool me" but the Garritan demos can't.
    QLB is a very nice orchestral lib, with swome articulations suitable for jazz, but not enough to makew it useful, IMHO. It depends what you want, what is most important to you. JABB will have less articulations and less detailed accuracy, they are trying to fit into a much smaller memory footprint. But it will be geared at jazz articulations, which QLB is not.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Dasher,

Are you shure that you're not confusing QLB with something else? It's not really orchestral at all, but it has doits, rips, falls, etc. It includes trumpet, saxes and bones. There's a limited tuba as well, but no horns. It's a solo lib, not a "wall of brass" ensemble.

The limitations are these:

* If you overuse the effects, people will recognize the sampled repetition.

* There are generally only two dynamic layers, so you generally need to use one or the other. The jump is too big to, say, play a phrase right on the boundary.

* There are some stereo artifacts due to the players not being frozen into place. The workaround is to narrow the stereo spread.

None of the existing libs are ideal, but this one is Giga compatible and has useful stuff.

The new Garritan lib may knock its socks off, but I haven't heard it yet, so I have no idea. My guess is that it will be good, but that there will still be lots of room for improvement. Big band and jazz are much harder to do well with samples than orchestral.

However you cut it QLB has lots of still-worthy samples and articulations. It's not worth the $440 list price, but the current $150 is a nice deal. I don't see the Giga version though. The prgramming is pretty light, so converting the Akai version wouldn't be too bad.

BTW, I recently used just a touch of QLB (trumpet) on the music for my son's short film. It has a completely different feel than the orchestral brass I used in the rest of the cues. If interested, listen closely to the music in the "crazy monkey" scene. You can't miss the jazz trumpet. http://fairhurst.com/realaudio/2005/2005web.ram

-JF

Go Back to forum