• Register
  • Help

Topic: IRQ sharing in XP ACPI system

Share/Bookmark

IRQ sharing in XP ACPI system

I've discovered that in my laptop the graphics and cardbus (and hence my music card -- an Indigo IO) all share the same IRQ (16). I was surprised because I was under the impression that ACPI systems provided a plethora of IRQs. In any case...

I'm having problems with the Indigo (as I mentioned in the previous post) and suspect that this could have something to do with it.

Is this so?

If so is there something (which I hope is conservative with respect to preserving the stability of the hardware) that can be done?

Thanks for any information.

Chet

Re: IRQ sharing in XP ACPI system

Quote Originally Posted by chet reinhardt
    I've discovered that in my laptop the graphics and cardbus (and hence my music card -- an Indigo IO) all share the same IRQ (16). I was surprised because I was under the impression that ACPI systems provided a plethora of IRQs. In any case...

I'm having problems with the Indigo (as I mentioned in the previous post) and suspect that this could have something to do with it.

Is this so?

If so is there something (which I hope is conservative with respect to preserving the stability of the hardware) that can be done?

Thanks for any information.

Chet
    That most definitely will cause a problem. Devices like video cards and sound cards need there own IRQ.

If you haven't done so already, uninstall and reinstall the cardbus from device manager. I had a problem similar to this, but on a tower system and was therefore able to move the card into different PCI slots. In XP uninstalling and reinstalling should solve the problem.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Christiaan

Christiaan

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling cardbus from the device manager and it either did not uninstall it or automatically reinstalled it upon reboot. And yes, the IRQ is still 16 and shared with the video. In the general properties tab with respect to the cardbus controller it says that the location is PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 2, device 4, function 0).

Any more thoughts? I'll be contacting Toshiba to see what they suggest but I've had mixed results when contacting manufacturers (long waits on hold and partially trained helpers are not unusual, still sometimes I've had good luck.)

Thanks for getting me on what seems to be the right track.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by chet reinhardt
    Christiaan

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling cardbus from the device manager and it either did not uninstall it or automatically reinstalled it upon reboot. And yes, the IRQ is still 16 and shared with the video. In the general properties tab with respect to the cardbus controller it says that the location is PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 2, device 4, function 0).

Any more thoughts? I'll be contacting Toshiba to see what they suggest but I've had mixed results when contacting manufacturers (long waits on hold and partially trained helpers are not unusual, still sometimes I've had good luck.)

Thanks for getting me on what seems to be the right track.

Chet
    The following can mess things up so make sure you write down the settings before you change anything. In the bios you can manually change the IRQ settings for certain PCI slots. Take the following steps:

1. Uninstall the cardbus from windows
    2. Restart the computer
    3. Enter bios (usually F1, F2 or ESC)
    4. Under IRQ settings menu (I forget what it is called but something like that) select the cardbus.
    5. Write Down or Remember the IRQ for the Cardbus
    6. Change the IRQ for the Cardbus PCI slot to one that is not being used (soundcards and I assume cardbus usually need to be within certain ranges of IRQ's)
    7. Save settings and restart
    8. Windows should automatically install the cardbus or it will take you through the installation steps.
    9. View the cardbus in the device manager to see what IRQ settings it has.

I have only done this on a tower so it may not work the same way with a Cardbus on laptops but since it is using PCI I assume it will.

Good luck and let me know what you find as I am curious.

Cheers,

Christiaan

Christiaan

In their wisdom Toshiba decided to restrict the possible bios changes and IRQ changes are one of the things that are not supported. (I talked to someone at their tech support center and he agreed that the probable reason was to prevent unexperienced users from bolloxing up their system. I don't necessarily disagree with that reasoning but it sure limits what a more experienced user can do.)

In the mean time I discovered that the ENE cardbus controller in the Toshiba has issues with respect to audio cards such as the Indigo. An e-mail response from Echo tech support provided a link to a downloadable utility that may solve the problem. Echo says that once the download is installed that some tweaking is necessary, that it is a trial and error process.

That's the current status. I'll be sure to let you know the results of my experiments.

Thanks for the ideas and the interest.

Chet

Christiaan

Echo had a utility for adusting the ENE cardbus controller and that did the trick, the Echo Indigo is now working even with the shared IRQs. I am still suspicious regarding efficiency but since things are working now I'll be completing the DAW setup before considering whether or not I can persuade XP to avoid sharing IRQs between video and audio.

At http://www.annoyances.org/ I found two ways of coaxing XP into reassigning IRQs without using the bios. But if you consider trying them be sure to have a disk image to restore. The methods involve switching from an ACPI system to a standard system and according to the posts there is no easy way to switch back without an image.

In any case...

Thanks for your thoughts and interest.

Best wishes

Chet

Go Back to forum