• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CLAVICHORD: OPNIONS WANTED

Share/Bookmark

CLAVICHORD: OPNIONS WANTED

The PMI Clavichords is finished. At least I can´t think of more things to change so it can be released next week.
    Any last minute opnions are welcome though. I have been in doubt how to deal with the eq of the samples. There is so much "wood" in the instruments that I was tempted to remove some low end from the samples. But this can be done by the user also and after removing frequencies there is no way to get them back!

Two instruments were sampled:
    Small clavichord after anonymous German instrument dating from c. 1650.

Double and triple-fretted, shortened bass octave. Compass C/E - c3 Double strung in brass. Keys: boxwood and coromandel. Keyfronts covered with embossed parchment.

Large clavichord after Johann Heinrich Silbermann, Strasbourg, dating from 1775

Unfretted 5 octaves, compass FF - f3 Double strung in brass, spun strings in bass octave. Case in cherry or walnut.Keys: Ebony and old ivory-topped pear. Turned and fluted legs. Hinges and escutcheon in brass. A rose of three layers of parchment in the soundboard.

Two small clips made with the current beta:
    PMI CLAVICHORD small

PMI CLavichord LARGE
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Re: CLAVICHORD: OPNIONS WANTED

Hi Michiel,

They sound very good to me, and I would prefer you left the wood in.

I can chisel it out later if need be!

Thanks for making these available.

Patrick

Not sure what the difference between clavi small 1 and clavi large 1 mean: presumably they're the actual clavichords... I much prefer the smaller clavichord myself.

Have you any clips which illustrate the difference between the "wood" in and leaving the "wood" out? I think that would be most helpful.

I look forward VERY MUCH to this release!

P.S. I agree: keep the wood in!!!

I have been in doubt how to deal with the eq of the samples. There is so much "wood" in the instruments that I was tempted to remove some low end from the samples. But this can be done by the user also and after removing frequencies there is no way to get them back!
    Your totally right about this. Don’t cut anything, it never grows again, with samples !
    Is there some layers for that kind of instrument ? If not so the file should be light. Do some patches like you did with the Bos 290 if you want to propose some EQs...

I realy like the wet sound.

So realistic.

But I wonder about the dynamic I hear in you demos : is it the dynamic of the instrument or the sample player ?

Cause the dynamic sounds very large (from P to F).

I though those clavichord mechanics just can’t have such a big dynamic.

Awesome news !!!

Any ETA for its release? Still aiming for this week? Now if only you'd spoil us with one more fortepiano library.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    But I wonder about the dynamic I hear in you demos : is it the dynamic of the instrument or the sample player ?

Cause the dynamic sounds very large (from P to F).

I though those clavichord mechanics just can’t have such a big dynamic.
    True, the demos use a full scale velocity. The patches have a more limited range. Also, there are patches with dynamic filtering to make the sound a little mellower when played soft.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy
    Awesome news !!!

Any ETA for its release? Still aiming for this week? Now if only you'd spoil us one more fortepiano library.
    Still this week.
    I have sampled a second Fortepiano. It´s a new (as opposed to my previous recording) instrument that has a totally different sound. You´ll love it!
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thumbs up Re: CLAVICHORD: OPNIONS WANTED

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    Still this week.
    I have sampled a second Fortepiano. It´s a new (as opposed to my previous recording) instrument that has a totally different sound. You´ll love it!
    WOW! I 'm so psyched. I'll be first in line. I'll look forward to it (and the clavichord).

What a great sound ! The only thing i noticed was i thought the large Clavicord a times sounded a little 'phasey'. Do you know what i mean? Best, Rich

Go Back to forum