• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Culture of cynicism?

Share/Bookmark

Question Culture of cynicism?

A quote from an article I read in the NY Times today:

In today's culture of cynicism, such generosity and software excellence seems highly suspicious; surely it's all a smokescreen for a darker, larger plot to suck us all in.

Although this was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek, like many jokes it nonetheless has a basis in fact. It seems to me that today, at least in America, it's very trendy to be cynical, fatalistic and negative. And of course, it's very hip to be angry and posture yourself as a violent person. Peer pressure therefore dictates that if you rebel against this and have any kind of positive or optimistic outlook on life that you're simply "not cool".

If people go through life with an attitude that everything sucks, everyone's out to get you, and you may as well be fatalistic in your outlook since nothing will ever improve, what chances do you then have for improving your lot in life? It seems to me that embracing a defeatist and negative perspective simply makes you a target, ineffective in your pursuits, or both. It's been my experience that success doesn't come to the morbid soul who stares at his shoes and exclaims "what's the point?", but rather to the person who believes that they can have something better and goes out to make it happen. So, I don't get it.

Since I'm one of the Old Dogs and no longer a part of youthful pop culture, I thought maybe someone could explain the benefits of this dark and dismal trend in society to me. I mean, there must be a benefit to it, otherwise people wouldn't subject themselves to such a depressing way of life. Right?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Culture of cynicism?

Funny you should post this. I encounter youths with this very exact attitude everyday at this school. So far, from what I have experienced, it is a learned behavior. One, (and we do have many that do) change and go on to realize life doesn’t suck that much even though it is true some day we all must die. Oh Christ I could go on all day.
    Wait, I was looking at my shoes and damn, I need a new pair soon!
    Styxx

ahhh you deleted my post...and didnt see the humour!! AGGG

Actually you delete BOTH my posts...and i didnt think the last was censorable ag squared on you!

styxx is a meanie...a green meanie!
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

What Chris writes about the culture of cynicism is all too aparent, especially in many online communities. We try to be different here and maintain a place that is genuinely positive, editifying and helpful. We respect each other and try to build up rather than tear down. However, there has been an increase in cynicism as well as bantering, name-calling, and negativity and this is not what this forum is all about.

I certainly do not want to monitor or censor posts, but I would like to keep the demeanor of the forum suitable for the entire family (since there are people ranging from pre-teens to octagenarians here). We ask that people treat each other with respect and dignity.

I would urge all to refer to the forum rules from time to time -
    "This Site is by software sampler user's for software Sampler user's. We hope this will be of help to everyone. Please keep discussions free of bickering with each other. We are here to help each other get the best use out of software samplers....Please respect others on this site no swearing or name calling of others this could get you banned."

Keep in mind that some find humorous or innocent may be offensive to others. Not only does cynicism, negativity, online personality conflicts, bantering and name-calling ruin the experience for many, it takes valuable time responding to moderator alerts, PMs, calls and emails about posts they find offensive.
    We will be deleting such comments. After initial warnings we will consider taking other measures. It sounds harsh, but I'm sure most people want a forum that is respectful of others and free of personality conflicts. If people must engage in conflict, there are thousands of other sites that allow you to type whatever you want.

Gary Garritan

Blimey Christopher - that sounds like a mid life crisis.

People make things happen and others go through life having things happen to them.

Proactive and reactive. Ach!

NMB been naughty again!?! Hahaaaa

yeah i guess gary is right *sigh....NMB bad again (hiding)

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    yeah i guess gary is right *sigh....NMB bad again (hiding)
    Don't worry - here's something to cheer you up from last night!

Arsenal 3 Fulham 1 (or was it 4-1 - I couldn't stand to see Arsenal score any more goals - so I went out to make tea)

Blackburn 0 Tottenham Hotspur 0

Argghhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    However, there has been an increase in cynicism as well as bantering, name-calling, and negativity and this is not what this forum is all about.

Gary Garritan
    This is one of the main reasons im so quiet on the forums.
    Robert Davis

YESSSZZZ! Alas, but being beat by Chesea TWICE this season! TWICE???
    All we can do is root for Liverpool...which alone is pretty damn pathetic to do!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Don't worry - here's something to cheer you up from last night!

Arsenal 3 Fulham 1

Blackburn 0 Tottenham Hotspur 0

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    YESSSZZZ! Alas, but being beat by Chesea TWICE this season! TWICE???
    All we can do is root for Liverpool...which alone is pretty damn pathetic to do!
    There you go Christopher - people can be positive.

Go Back to forum