• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key Switching

Share/Bookmark

Question Key Switching

I'm using GPO with Overture 3. I'm trying my hand at the Key Switch feature in a new project. The problem is-or is it?-that the key switch only works if I have, for example Violin 1 KS Combo assigned to its own voice. If I try to do an instrument change from, say, Violin 1 Sus+Short to Violin 1 KS Combo with a key switch set to A1(pizzacato) within the same voice, nothing changes.

Did I get key-switching right with the first method, or is there a way to do an instrument change with a key switch on the same voice?

Re: Key Switching

If I understand correctly what you're trying to do, you need to have the keyswitch expression on the voice containing the keyswitch patch. If Violin Sus+Short is loaded in Voice 1, all expressions on that voice work for that voice only. So if you have a voice change to a Violin KS patch on Voice 2, then the keyswitch expression must be entered on voice 2 to activate the keyswitch.

I hope that makes sense. It works in theory, but I'd have to try it and I can't since I'm at work.

Question Re: Key Switching

Thanks, Joe, but what if I have only one voice? I'll have the Violin 1 Sus+Short playing on Voice 1, then I'll do an instrument change to Violin 1 KS Combo on that same voice, but with a key switch to Pizzacato(A1). I would expect to hear plucked strings. Instead I still hear Violin 1 Sus+Short. Do I really need to have Violin 1 KS Combo on a separate voice in order to use it?

Danny7,

I'll leave the intracacies of Overture to Joseph, but one thing caught my eye: You keep referring to pizzicato as being the "A" keyswitch. It is not. "F" is the keyswitch for pizzicato. Here are the keyswitches used in the solo strings of the standard version of GPO:

C(x) = Sustain (legato with sustain pedal)
    C#(x) = Sustain mute (legato with sustain pedal)
    D(x) = Automatically alternating up and downbows
    D#(x) = Upbows
    E(x) = Downbows
    F(x) = Pizzicato
    F#(x) = Playable tremolo mute
    G(x) = Playable tremolo
    G#(x) = Playable half step muted trills as default (additional intervals chosen with cc16)
    A(x) = Playable trills with half step as default (additional intervals chosen with cc16)
    A#(x) = Playable whole step muted trills
    B(x) = Playable whole step trills

(x) represents the octave (always below the range of the instrument).

Here is a link to the Update documentation from last fall's update that included the new keyswitched string instruments: http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOUpdate.pdf

Tom

How are you proposing to do an instrument change without using an expression to change the voice in use? You must have the instruments loaded into different channels correct? The only way to switch between them in Overture SE is to use a voice change expression to change playback channels. You don't need to use the different voices and add notes on them, but Overture SE has to know when to change channels. And I'm not sure I understand why you are wanting to do this anyway. The KS Combo contains all the instruments anyway, so there's really no need.

OK, let me try to explain this a different way:

In GPO-1 I have "Violin 1 Sus+Short" in Slot 1 and "Violin 1 KS Combo" in Slot 2.

In Overture 3.6.1 I have one single track with only one voice. The track is set to GPO-1/Violin 1 Sus+Short.

In measure 3 I place the expression "pizz." and I set it up so that it changes from "Violin 1 Sus+Short" to "Violin 1 KS Combo" with the Key Switch A1 to indicate "Pizzacato".

What happens is, well, nothing. I still hear "Violin 1 Sus+short" where I was expecting to hear "Violin 1 KS Combo/Pizzacato".

Am I attempting the impossible by doing it this way? Should I just do what I was able to do before, which is to set up the track for two voices, assign "Violin 1 Sus+Short" to Voice 1 and "Violin 1 KS Combo"Voice 2 to and THEN try the instrument change with the Key Switch?

Alright, now I'm getting a clearer idea of what you're trying to do.

It is doable (in theory.) Hopefully my home internet will be working tonight so I can go through it and give you a step by step process. I still don't completely understand why you are wanting to switch between the Sus+Short patch and the KS Combo since the KS Combo patch contains the Sus+Short samples. It'd be easier in my mind to just use the KS Combo patch and change between the articulations you need via expressions.

At any rate, when I get home and assuming I'll have internet tonight, I'll work up a walkthrough for this.

If Violin 1 Sus+Short, or a similar sound, is part of the Violin 1 KS Combo, then what key should I use to get it?

Its the standard sound. Its the C(X) keyswitch.

Smile Re: Key Switching

I'll try it out. Thanks!

Go Back to forum