• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Is John LUTHER Adams Fluffy Duffy?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Is John LUTHER Adams Fluffy Duffy?

So, do you think that our northern bro's music ( who hails from Alaska ) is for real, or do you think it is nothing but a meander disguise of artspeak and fluffy duffy granola dribble-de-goop?

I'll hold back my true opinion until I hear what you believe about his music here...
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Re: OT: Is John LUTHER Adams Fluffy Duffy?

Nope good comments. Awaiting others...just lets keep this to the LUTHER variation of Adams only.

Interview:
    http://musicmavericks.publicradio.or...ther_adams.ram

There is a John Luther Adams who used to teach at Oberlin a few years back. He now lives in Fairbanks, Alaska where he spends most of his time composing and also teaches comp. and theory classes at the Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks from time to time. He's a nice man, I've spoken with him several times at UAF functions. The Fairbanks Symphony Orchestra has played several of his pieces and the UAF museum has a "living music" display that features a "never ending" composition of his, the piece changes depending on various factors going on in and around the museum..interesting stuff.

He has an official websight with his bio and sound clips. Just google John Luther Adams.

-Chris-

yup thats the dude...wondering and looking for critiques from our musical GPO group

Sorry, I read the original post too quickly. I though the question was if there was a John Luther Adams or not. You already know there is.

As far as his music....it's interesting. I did hear the percussion teacher at UAF rehearsing a new JLA piece. I only heard a little bit of it. It required four snare drums of various sizes and the last two minutes of the piece was a roll at FFF. So like I said...interesting.

-Chris-

Im changing my name for the sake of art

After a quick sample of Clouds of Forgetting, Clouds of Unknowing from Amazon's snippets (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...143539-2809757 ), I'd say he's a "meander disguise of artspeak and fluffy duffy granola dribble-de-goop".

To be fair, I'd have to listen to more of his material to make a fully informed judgement, but I might kill myself by then.

First, his titles are absolute fluffy duffy. "In the White Silence", "The Light that Fills the World" and the above mentioned "Clouds" don't inspire me at all.

Second, the progression of "Clouds" is based on movements with themes of rising intervals. The journey is too slow to engage my intellect or emotions. It's fine music for glaciers, but not for humans.

Third, there just wasn't enough correlation anywhere for me to find acts of brilliance. He may have some scheme that he's working out in his head, but it didn't resonate in mine.

I didn't find the snippets I heard to be ugly or unlistenable, beautiful or moody. It was just there. If it were playing as ambient background music, I'd be content to hear it, neither drawn in nor repulsed. Alone, however, I'd be bored to tears.

Maybe others find genius in it. I didn't.

-JF

Thank you Jon for your well written critique. Anyone else out there

I have several of his discs. I really enjoy In the White Silence and The Light that Fills the World. They come as close as anything to sounding more like electronic / ambient music done with an acoustic orchestra. If you like ambient stuff chances are good that you will like it. If not, or if you haven't been exposed to it, you will find it quite different. There isn't a strong pulse element to it like there is with most minimal music.

Have you listened to Morton Feldman? It's a bit of a stretch but that's probably the closest I can think of to his music...

Quote Originally Posted by musical.matthew

Have you listened to Morton Feldman? It's a bit of a stretch but that's probably the closest I can think of to his music...
    I am a BIG fan of Feldman. However, Feldman and JLAdams are from diferent parts of the universe as far as I can tell...

Go Back to forum