• Register
  • Help

Topic: Advice on adding additional GS3 PC

Share/Bookmark

Advice on adding additional GS3 PC

Hi there,

I am giving serious consideration to adding a 'third' PC for GS3.

I currently have in my studio:

DAW PC (running SX and Kontakt 1.5x) 3.0 ghz / 2 gig ram

2 PC's running GS3 (both 3.0 / 2.0 gig ram)

Have 16 ch board for monitoring (using Tango 24 for A/D convertor - ADAT connected to SX PC. Two other ADAT ports going to the 2 GS3 PC's)

Here's my question. Without selling my RME card 52/96 - with has NEVER given me any problems (3 ADAT ports), how can I add another PC and still transfer GS3 to the DAW via ADAT? Can this be done with anything reliably from FX Max?

What would be the best way to expand to this 3rd GS3 PC without trashing a lot of current gear (that RME card was pricey - worth it, but pricey!!)

Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Advice on adding additional GS3 PC

Clarification? Do all of your PCs have the 9652 or just the DAW? I presume that all have their own 9652 so the DAW has 3 ADATS, two of which are connected to the GIGA machines (1 pair per Giga)?

I have a similiar environment, and absolutely agree with your assessment of the RME; I haven't opted to introduce any of that FX technology because I simply don't trust the scaleability under load - at least that's what my early testing indicated. Having the GSIF hardware interfaces (despite the cost) is worth every penny in my opinion.

One nifty piece of technology I found helpful was introducing an ADAT patchbay (I use the Apache). This has been really helpful because it puts the entire array of ADAT cables into a bus vs. a point-to-point connection which appears to be running out of steam in your circumstance. This wasn't a cheap device (I think I paid $500? for it) but it's been very helpful. I also have my digital mixer DM24 mingled into this and can also do more complex patching within the mixer.

Re: Advice on adding additional GS3 PC

Quote Originally Posted by Fastonkeys
    Clarification? Do all of your PCs have the 9652 or just the DAW? I presume that all have their own 9652 so the DAW has 3 ADATS, two of which are connected to the GIGA machines (1 pair per Giga)?

I have a similiar environment, and absolutely agree with your assessment of the RME; I haven't opted to introduce any of that FX technology because I simply don't trust the scaleability under load - at least that's what my early testing indicated. Having the GSIF hardware interfaces (despite the cost) is worth every penny in my opinion.

One nifty piece of technology I found helpful was introducing an ADAT patchbay (I use the Apache). This has been really helpful because it puts the entire array of ADAT cables into a bus vs. a point-to-point connection which appears to be running out of steam in your circumstance. This wasn't a cheap device (I think I paid $500? for it) but it's been very helpful. I also have my digital mixer DM24 mingled into this and can also do more complex patching within the mixer.

Fastonkeys,

Thanks for responding:

I try to answer your questions:

1. The two GS3 PC's have GINA 24/96 cards (ADAT from these to the DAW PC).

2. Given my setup of soundcards all around - would a ADAT 'patchbay' work - sounds like a workable solution.

3. My KVM switch (for 2 screens) would have to be replaced to a 4 port model but that is probably not very much.

Thanks in advance.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum