• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Note OFF on prog change !!

Share/Bookmark

Note OFF on prog change !!

Hi

on gs 3.0 i have no problem, but i´ve updated to 3.1 and now, when i do a prog change, all alive notes turned off

i´ve seen this on the revision history from version 3.03:
    "A problem with held notes before a program change not being turned off by the note off after the program change, leaving a stuck note, has been corrected."

but I have this problem on v 3.1

is a joke from tascam? grrr

Re: Note OFF on prog change !!

This is the correct (but not ideal) behavior for GS3.

In some earlier versions all notes would keep ringing after a program change. Now, all notes are turned off when a program change occurs.

Ideally, GS would remember all of the held notes for a given channel, and would turn off those notes when the note-off message comes through - regardless of program changes. I spoke with one of the Giga engineers at NAB, and he told me that this would take a very deep rewrite of the code, and is not planned for any maintenance release of GS3.

Oh well, there's always GS4...

-JF

unveliable.
    specialy because 3.0 works perfect.. and 2.54, and 2.. and gigasampler... and..
    a sound blaster with sf2

puaj...

why we want 150 articulations in ram of a violin if I can´t do a simply prog change? i don´t want VST fxs on it.., I dont want a stupid quick sound database. i want some basics..

The best solution is to stack those articulations and create your own keyswitch. Use the keyswitch to change articulations on the channel. Change channels to get totally different sounds. Use program changes for configuration changes between sounds/sections.

Keyswitches are definitely the prefered articulation change method for GS3.1 - especially since your now can quickly make custom stacks.

-JF

thanks jon,

but I simply will reinstall 3.0 on all machines

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

Keyswitches are definitely the prefered articulation change method for GS3.1 - especially since your now can quickly make custom stacks.
    wellll .. the problem with key switches is that no sequencer keeps track of them ... and in a long sequence with many midi channels, re-starting in the middle to do partial recordings gets very messy very quickly because of incorrect keyswitches. I'd say, to get around the issue of program changes stopping notes when that isn't wanted, just divide your music into more tracks, more midi channels. Then the sustained note's channel doesn't change program, while the changing note's channel DOES change program. Thank goodness, since 3.04 the program changes seem to work flawlessly. This is one of the many advantages gigastudio has over kontakt2, too!

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    wellll .. the problem with key switches is that no sequencer keeps track of them ... and in a long sequence with many midi channels, re-starting in the middle to do partial recordings gets very messy very quickly because of incorrect keyswitches. I'd say, to get around the issue of program changes stopping notes when that isn't wanted, just divide your music into more tracks, more midi channels. Then the sustained note's channel doesn't change program, while the changing note's channel DOES change program. Thank goodness, since 3.04 the program changes seem to work flawlessly. This is one of the many advantages gigastudio has over kontakt2, too!
    I've started to make all keyswitches "legato" so that I can start anywhere and the keyswitch is correct.

D

Gugliel,

You are truly right about sequencers not searching back for keyswitches. One can add redundant keyswitches, but then there's that much more work to do if one wants to make a change.

More channels is a good solution for sequencers, but doesn't work for notation on Sibelius - each staff gets a single channel.

But for live and sequencing, more channels is a good solution.

-JF

If you're using Cubase, just go into File->Preferences->MIDI->Chase Events and mark the checkbox "note". This makes sure everything sounds ok (keyswitches) even if you start playing from the middle of a song. By default, Cubase chases program changes, but not note events.

/Arne

TASCAM has too much pride

-the universal way to do a prog change is.. prog change (understod for all sequencers)
    -The key switch is a usefull invention from nemesys to be used on Up/Down bows and thinks like that.
    -no one wants a mega gig file of 12 gigs with 80 keyswitches
    -the Normal behavior of a prog change is NOT stop the notes that are playing
    -Kotantkt 2.. dont stop the notes.... as everybody spect

TASCAM programers are lazys to say that they has no plan to change it

but the incrdible is that older versions don´t have this problem.I have reinstalled 3.0 and all fine.

Gugliel, do you have installed 3.04? prog change works normaly in this version?
    anyone knows on witch version the problem reborn?

Go Back to forum