• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dedicated Video Monitor

Share/Bookmark

Question Dedicated Video Monitor

A question for those of you that have a monitor (or projector) dedicated to high quality video while you are sequencing. How do you play back high quality video synced to your sequencer (in my case cubase) and not completely overload your CPU?

Thanks,

Christiaan

Re: Dedicated Video Monitor

Put it on a separate machine.

I've only ever done a handful of videos but I find sequencing not to be all that cpu intensive. I use Sonar and can drop just about any video into it as a track along side a midi track. In fact with videos that don't take up too much disk space, I've sequenced with a GS3 piano library running on the same machine. Did a 15 minute USAF video not long ago exactly that way using Worra's Black Grand and it was very convenient to just throw an lcd monitor onto the keyboard's music stand so my wife could play along with the video and roughly time a crash in the music to the featured explosion. Then go in and nudge the midi events a bit to exactly line up the chord with the right frame.

For longer videos, I'd either slice them down into scenes or maybe drop the res a bit with Vegas before pulling them into the sequencer. I'd move GS3 to another machine before separating the video and the sequencer.

Howard

ps: If you ever visit the AF Museum at Wright/Patterson, it's the Billy Mitchell 1921 Aerial Bombardment video documenting the 1st sinking of a battleship by an airplane... featuring Scott Joplin's Great Crush Collission March.

Howard,

sequencing itself is not CPU intesive, but running large sample libraries is both CPU and RAM intesive and therefore I can only run a small and relatively grainy video. Good point about moving the sampler to another computer though.

If I am ever at the museum I will check out that exhibit - sounds like fun! Thanks for your help.

Nick,

I was afraid that's what someone would say! How do you trigger the playback of video from your sampler (or where do I find this info) and what do you use for playback on the video machine (vegas or something simpler?).

Thanks for your help.

Christiaan

Put it in chase mode, whatever it's called on your software, and send it MIDI Time Code (via MIDI, of course). It should follow right along.

The de rigeur set-up in Los Angeles is Pro Tools running Quicktime video on one machine and a sequencer, etc. on another - plus Gigas,etc.

Hi, what Nick said. You can sync any two apps up via MMC. I did it with Vegas years ago (synced to Cubase) and posted the results here.

If you want to sync two different apps on the same machine via midi, try either midi yoke, maple tools or the named pipes in Midi Over Lan+

Oh, and video is less CPU intensive if its not compressed, its the codecs that make the CPU do all the thinking. The file will be bigger but the CPU drain wont be as great. I usually render to 320 x 240 uncompressed and double click it to full-size. If working in Vegas, I send it out via firewire to a TV.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I find that when the video preview is sized down in the sequencer, around 3 or 4 inches diagnal, it's not very cpu taxing and pretty sharp. And plenty large enough if the monitor's on the keyboard stand. I used to do it with separate machines and timecode in the old days but dropping the audio and video into a sequencing daw is just too easy.

I use and like Vegas alot. Too bad it doesn't sequence. Yet. So I sequence in Sonar then pop rendered clips into Vegas/DVD Arch for the rest. Works for me.

Never tried decompressing the video before sequencing. Usually just run with it as delivered. But I have noticed that my system has an easier time with quicktime compared to dvd, compressed avi, or wmv.

Howard

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    If working in Vegas, I send it out via firewire to a TV.
    As of Vegas 6.0, you can direct full-screen video to a second monitor.

If you get a card with one of the NVidia 6600-6800 chips, then you can send that second monitor signal out via DVI or SVideo/HiDef to an LCD or Plasma monitor at native resolution. VERY sweet, and no firewire latency to set for frame-sync.

Even using a spare 15" LCD it looks great. Hooked up to the big TV, fantastico!!!

Scott, Howard, Nick and Bruce,

Thanks for all your help. This gives me lots of info to work with. If I can afford another computer or yet another program maybe I will get Vegas and have it synced via MIDI. It seems worth it to me to be able to view the video in high definition full screen. Then again, maybe I just want more toys!

Thanks again!

Christiaan

Go Back to forum