• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 computers w/ GPO ?

Share/Bookmark

2 computers w/ GPO ?

Hi all,

I have two PCs, both about 1.3 GHz with 512 MB, one running WinME and one with Win98 and can put 80 GB SATA drives in them. I also have a Thinkpad laptop with 512MB at about same speed (and a few others in the boneyard I could bring up to about those specs fairly easily).

I want to play with some small-medium size orchestra things (e.g. no Mahler). I have seen that Gigasample composers have multiple systems, sometimes a PC dedicated to strings, another to woodwinds, etc. and the sequencing, etc. on a separate machine to avoid bogging down when running several orchestral instruments. I've also seen the specs recommending 2 -3 GHz machines and 1GB memory.

My mother always told me to do with what I have, so my question is: can I split GPO into two halves and put them on the two PCs in the hopes of working around having to buy a new 2 - 3 GHz machine to house GPO (maybe with upgrading less than the cost of the new machine such as replacing WinME with WinXP, bringing one or both up to 1 GB, etc.)

And if so, what would you do (acceptable answer is not 'buy two G5s'). Thanks for any advice,

Bob

Re: 2 computers w/ GPO ?

Hi Bob

I am new in the forum (my second post!) and I have not purchased GPO yet. But I have a PC and a laptop at home, and have been playing around FX Teleport. It is an affordable and very useful product. You can download a demo from their web page 3 w's dot fxteleport dot c,o,m.

As far as I know, GPO was developed to fit in a single PC. It is the only full orchestra I know that you can have in a laptop, but it needs 1GB of RAM if you want to load the whole orchestra into memory. If you already have those PC's, maybe you want to assemble a small computer farm, with only the 2 PC's, or with the laptop too. You could connect the two PC's with a crossed ethernet RJ45 cable (I don´t know if it's called like that in English). I suggest you to use Gigabit Ethernet interfaces better than 10/100 ones to get a decent latency (depends on your soundcard driver too). So you could use a PC for sequencing, percussion section, brass and some FX, and the other for strings and woodwinds (It is only an example) If you are interested in this option, I could give you more detailed information on how to setup everything.

I don't know how much does RAM cost in your country, but in Spain it's quite cheap (about $50 512 MB), so maybe the best option is to upgrade one of the PC's, and install a copy of XP (which I found very stable now). And, even if you do that, you could use your other PC for a convolution reverd, or any other FX.

I hope I have helped you in some way

-Dani-

Hi Dani, welcome to the forum and thanks taking the time to respond.

Guess I still need to confirm whether GPO can be split across two machines maybe from tech support unless someone else knowing this has done it.

Your post indicates it was probably developed for a single PC but goes on to outline how to network PCs with FXTeleport (which by the way really looks great, thanks) and talks about exactly what I was thinking of- not just putting sequencing/fx on one machine and GPO on another, but spreading GPO over multiple PCs. I think it would only be a matter of time before I needed to do this anyway, even if my PCs weren't so downlevel if for no other reason than needing convolution reverb which I understand will bring a PC to its knees but is essential to getting convincing orchestra emulation.

RAM is about the same here, so for openers I think I'll take your suggestion and upgrade it and upgrade to XP.

You have helped a great deal. And yes, I'd like very much for you to give the details of how to setup using FX Teleport. I sure hope you get GPO, that way I could remove all doubt as to whether you can split GPO. I think maybe what the composers I was referring to that use Gigasampler do is put separate entire instances of it on each machine- so maybe you'd have to buy separate instances of GPO, which is cost prohibitive to me. Anyway, I've been following GPO vs. Gigasampler discussions for some time and am convinced GPO is the way to go (as soon as the Jazz samples come out or Advanced has had a few point releases to iron out the bugs.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZareOne
    Hi Bob

I am new in the forum (my second post!) and I have not purchased GPO yet. But I have a PC and a laptop at home, and have been playing around FX Teleport. It is an affordable and very useful product. You can download a demo from their web page 3 w's dot fxteleport dot c,o,m.

As far as I know, GPO was developed to fit in a single PC. It is the only full orchestra I know that you can have in a laptop, but it needs 1GB of RAM if you want to load the whole orchestra into memory. If you already have those PC's, maybe you want to assemble a small computer farm, with only the 2 PC's, or with the laptop too. You could connect the two PC's with a crossed ethernet RJ45 cable (I don´t know if it's called like that in English). I suggest you to use Gigabit Ethernet interfaces better than 10/100 ones to get a decent latency (depends on your soundcard driver too). So you could use a PC for sequencing, percussion section, brass and some FX, and the other for strings and woodwinds (It is only an example) If you are interested in this option, I could give you more detailed information on how to setup everything.

I don't know how much does RAM cost in your country, but in Spain it's quite cheap (about $50 512 MB), so maybe the best option is to upgrade one of the PC's, and install a copy of XP (which I found very stable now). And, even if you do that, you could use your other PC for a convolution reverd, or any other FX.

I hope I have helped you in some way

-Dani-

Quote Originally Posted by bcarwell
    Hi all,
    <snip>
    I want to play with some small-medium size orchestra things (e.g. no Mahler). <snip>
    And if so, what would you do (acceptable answer is not 'buy two G5s'). Thanks for any advice,
    Bob
    Hi Bob,

I'm doing something like that right now, and I'm loving it! I don't run GPO on two machines, mostly because the way I understand the license I'd need two copies, but I do run a bunch of software synths on a second machine, and for a while GPO was one of them. (I'm still in the midst of re-arranging things to see what works best!)

My primary machine runs Sonar4PE, Finale2005 (I need to upgrade), GPO, my audio editors, etc. The second machine runs most of my remaining software synths, and GigaStudio96 (another upgrade - ugh!)

There are two ways to go about this.

FX-Teleport seems to do a decent job, but it is expensive, and I already had all the tools I needed before they introduced it, so I don't use it myself. Also, I wasn't completely comfortable with moving that much audio data across a TCP/IP connection.

I use Musiclab's MIDIOverLan to send MIDI events to the second machine. It works flawlessly, and the timing is as tight as real MIDI cables (which I've also used.)

I use the ADAT lightpipe ports on my audio cards to move audio back to the main PC. If you have that kind of capacity it's great, I'm not sure if I'd go that route if I didn't already have it. (Each machine has a Frontier Design Dakota as the audio interface)

And I use VNC, which is a free windowing tool that lets me open a window from the second machine on the first. There are commercial tools available to do this as well, but I like open source solutions.

The best part is that it works. And it works beautifully. I am certain that one could run separate instances of GPO in a similar manner, assuming there were no licensing problems.

Have fun, and please let me know what you end up doing.

Bill

Hi Bob,

I wrote a while ago a program just for that, running GPO on two PC; it's very simple with no configuration needed (just the Maple MIDI ports installed on both computers).
    I still haven't got a MAC version though (except maybe a command line version).
    You can download it here: http://hdan.com/filemgmt/index.php

Or you could try Benno's one posted on this forum (should work with any sampler): http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/

Regards,
    Dan.

Go Back to forum