• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO on DVD at Music Store??

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO on DVD at Music Store??

Hello everybody!

This is my first post in the forum. I am starting in the MIDI orchestration world. I was between EWQLSO Silver and GPO, and finally I have decieded to go for GPO. One of the reasons for having chosen GPO, apart of the quality of the product, is the community of users it has.

I live in Spain, and usually buy music stuff in Music Store (It seems like I can´t put URL's). I have seen they sell GPO, but it says is on DVD!! Is that true, or it's only a mistake?

I prefer 1 DVD to 4 CD's, but I suppose It's wan errata. Thanks in advance, and sorry about my Eglish. I hope to improve it by participating in this forum.

I think GPO is awesome! Gary, you are the one!

Re: GPO on DVD at Music Store??

Zare One,

welcome to the forum. This is a good place to put any problems on, especially if you are new. I've joined a little while back and plenty of people here try to help each other, so, about your problem with the DVD thing?...I just opened my Personal Orchestra plastic cover, to check this, and there are 4 discs in there.
    I'm not sure about this, but I think the term for them is "DVD", when in reality, you just put them into your CD rom player and load the program from there.

Maybe the store owners are calling them "DVD", but they are not like DVD's, I mean, as you know, DVD's - they are used for movie playback etc, but the "DVD's" in the GPO software, are more like CD roms, as I have said, and you don't need a DVD player on your computer to load them in, just the normal CD rom player.

Is there anyone out there in the forum, who can set this straight and help this new member out with this? I'm not sure if I'm giving Zare One the actual correct information here?

The discs in the box are actually CDs (4 of them unless you purchased through the group buy). The library could conceivably be issued on DVD but I don't think that has been done with GPO.

Thank you very much, loogoo and Steve! I suppose both of you are right. Just curious about it. Four CD's is not too much. And I have been able to merge several CD's into a DVD other times (always with games, but maybe it works with GPO) I like to have my original CD's in a safe place, and use backup copies for installing (because I often format my hard drive).

For people who do it too, I´ve found a good utility called nLite, which lets you make an unattended Windows install CD (95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP, I think). you can add drivers for your hardware, service packs, and more, and it saves you a lot of time. I'm sure most of you already knew about it.

I hope to have my copy of GPO soon and post some music made with it.

Thanks again!

-Dani-

Windows 2000 and XP both have unattended install capibility out of the box.

From Garritan.com:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (for Kontakt Player & Sound Library)
    [....]
    - CD-ROM or DVD Drive.

So the Music Store might be right about the DVD.

P.S. I think Gary or Tom once mentioned, that they would like to ditch the CD's in favour of a single DVD.

Except that they wouldn't mention CD Rom at all if it were on a DVD as that wouldn't work. You can play CDs in a DVD Rom drive but not vice versa. There are some people out there who think a DVD rom drive will only play DVDs.

That's not to say that GPO on DVD wouldn't be a good idea, especially as it expands as it inevitably will.

Go Back to forum