• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Virtual Grand Piano played through Muse receptor??

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Grand Piano played through Muse receptor??

Would it be possible to play the VGP using the Muse Receptor as an interface? Would be great not to have to take a computer to gigs.

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail...Plug-In-Player

Re: Virtual Grand Piano played through Muse receptor??

Hey Mal,

I talked to the guys who make the Receptor. They said VGP "should" work. To make sure there is 100% compatibility and ease of installation, they asked for a copy of VGP.

Hopefully we will soon know more.

Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Adamson
    Hey Mal,

I talked to the guys who make the Receptor. They said VGP "should" work. To make sure there is 100% compatibility and ease of installation, they asked for a copy of VGP.

Hopefully we will soon know more.

Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions

Thanks Hans, Could you let us know as soon as you get an answer ?
    And is there any other hardware device that you know of that would be suitable for VGP ?

PS I am loving VGP. Out of more than a dozen libraries, it is now my favorite....Inspiring my playing :-)

This would make me very happy.
    I'm currently running White Grand Jr. and Scarbee libraries live on Recepror
    and am pleased with all.
    But more is better in this case....

I use Receptor with full sample libraries a lot. Works very well, indeed.

Several of my customers have the PMI pianos installed for live use (the rockband U2 amongst others). I must say the unit is very good value: rocksteady, great hardware, excellent sound quality and great tech support from the Muse guys. (What more can you want?).
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

[QUOTE=Michiel Post]I use Receptor with full sample libraries a lot. Works very well, indeed.

Michiel,
    I haven't had luck yet with the Post Libraries on Receptor - at least not the big ones. I can get them to work at a reasonable latency, but not with the confidence that I can play however I want with no clicks or pops.
    (I give it the forearms and sustain pumping test....)
    If I were sequencing there wouldn't be an issue, but I use the Receptor for live performance.
    Are you using them via Kompakt, or do you have Kontakt 2
    running? THe latter isn't supported yet, but I'm guessing as a developer you might have access.
    I'm thinking that when Kontakt 2 is supported (which should be literally any day now) that I'll have more success, being able to tweak the DFD status per layer, mess with the voice stealing alg.'s etc.
    If you're using Kompakt, would you be willing to share your DFD settings and a particular library that works well?
    Thanks,
    Phil Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    I use Receptor with full sample libraries a lot. Works very well, indeed.

Several of my customers have the PMI pianos installed for live use (the rockband U2 amongst others). I must say the unit is very good value: rocksteady, great hardware, excellent sound quality and great tech support from the Muse guys. (What more can you want?).

Michiel, I have the GS3 version of Emperor. I presume the Kontakt version runs successfully in Receptor? Any clicks/pops? How is the latency?

Quote Originally Posted by Beethree
    This would make me very happy.
    I'm currently running White Grand Jr. and Scarbee libraries live on Recepror
    and am pleased with all.
    But more is better in this case....
    Interesting...a couple of questions
    (1) Do White Grand and Scarbee libraries play as well via Receptor as on a computer ?...with regard to latency/pops and clicks etc
    (2) Do you play the scarbee libraries as VSTi's via Kompakt?
    (3) Can the various libraries be instantly recalled on your midi controller...or does each have to be loaded again if you wish to change sounds?
    Any advice appreciated...

I am seriously looking at the Receptor for live playing, rather than a Laptop as I had planned.

can't answer 1 or 2 but for #3 - you would normally just have a seperate instance of kontakt open with that particular instrument already loaded and have it assigned to a different midi channel. This way when you hit your preset button it changes the midi channel to the channel your instrument is set to respond to and there is no lag time since it is already loaded and ready to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Beethree
    Michiel,
    I haven't had luck yet with the Post Libraries on Receptor - at least not the big ones. I can get them to work at a reasonable latency, but not with the confidence that I can play however I want with no clicks or pops.
    (I give it the forearms and sustain pumping test....)
    If I were sequencing there wouldn't be an issue, but I use the Receptor for live performance.
    Are you using them via Kompakt, or do you have Kontakt 2
    running? THe latter isn't supported yet, but I'm guessing as a developer you might have access.
    I'm thinking that when Kontakt 2 is supported (which should be literally any day now) that I'll have more success, being able to tweak the DFD status per layer, mess with the voice stealing alg.'s etc.
    If you're using Kompakt, would you be willing to share your DFD settings and a particular library that works well?
    Thanks,
    Phil Aiken
    Hi Phil,
    It takes some tweaks and experiments to get it right... Like with any other computer. (This is an Athlon2500+ used under a special Linux shell that is much more efficient than running the Athlon2500 under Windows)

First off, remove the default 256 MB standard memory chip (I re-used mine in a spare Mac G5) and install 2 GB of RAM. This will enable you to load almost any piano in RAM and forget about DFD all together. RAM playback is much more efficient than DFD playback, so it's worth every penny to max out the Muse Receptor memory. When operated without DFD (RAM only mode) you can expect pretty high poly counts (64+ stereo voices and much higher).

If your piano is larger than 2 GB (Old Lady and EMPEROR are larger in 24 bit versions, Bos290 is not) you need to enable DFD. DFD puts strain on the hard drive and CPU, so polyphony will be lower.
    While adjusting DFD, start with the largest possible preload and buffer sizes and work your way back towards the smaller values until you get click free performance for the max polyphony you need. 256 sample buffer works best for me. Every time you change settings you need to re-load the library to get the results.

Chose your presets carefully! For example, if you play staccato pieces, without sustain pedal don't load the Full patches but use the ones without the sustain samples. This reduces the memory footprint and helps keeping the CPU load low. Same for release sample patches. If you don't really need release samples, use presets without them. It saves polyphony and could be the difference between a CPU halt and a flawless performance. A few more notes on DFD: always set DFD after powering up the unit. The DFD settings are not stored, so they get lost on rebooting the machine. I have not installed the latest (version3) software. Hope they solved this bug. Never set the number of allowed voices in Kompakt equal or higher than the number of voices set in DFD! This would kill the CPU when you reach the limit and disables any voice-stealing. Finally, use the sustain pedal keeping the polyphony load of many sustained voices in mind. Lift the pedal every now and then when you get a music chance.

I have most success with the Dry version of the Bosendorfer 290 and the Sustain only patches of Old Lady (this latter only uses about 1.8 GB of samples, so it can run without DFD). Emperor really works best with both sustain and non-sustain samples so it depends on DFD and this means you have to set DFD really tight. And never use the elbow test!

U2 keyboard player Terry Lawless uses a rack of Receptors for the current U2 world tour and is very happy with the performance of my Bosendorfer290. The band actually did their first few performances with a real Bosendorfer grand on stage but found out it didn't work. Muse offered help. Many artists are using Receptor. The upcoming Rolling Stones' tour will use a bunch of Receptors. etc. Doing great in Japan too.

I can not tell you anything about availability of K2.
    All VSTi Plug-In's powered by NI, have to be adapted to be used on Receptor. The EastWest/PMI Bos290 plug-In is available and works nicely.

Latency is adjustable. I never use it for live performances so I'm not the expert here, but I never heard complaints. Check KVR for Receptor user experiences.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum