• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 1 GB Ram Enough

Share/Bookmark

1 GB Ram Enough

Hey folks - the price of ram seems to have gone way up - I have 512 ram now and with my small tracks in Sonar there is plenty of room left.

If I get GPO would 1 GB ram be enough? For I do not forsee using more than 4 or 5 GPO instruments in my hymns of piano, acoustic guitar, real flute and bass.

I've seen where some foks recommend 2 GB but they are using full-blown orchestras whereas I'm just using a few per song.

If you think 1GB would get me by on my setup of simple hymns then I can order another 512 ram for $60 and GPO and get the show on the road!!!

If I have to go with 2GB then I would have to spend $200 for my current 512 ram would have to go!!!

Thanks for feedback.

God bless

Re: 1 GB Ram Enough

For what you describe, 1 Gb should be more than enough. Even if you decide to get more ambitious, you can either freeze instruments in Sonar or bounce tracks to audio (and unload instruments) which will help keep you running lean and mean. I've seen your posts elsewhere regarding this family recording you've got planned and wanted to take this opportunity to wish you the best on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by AVBunyan
    Hey folks - the price of ram seems to have gone way up - I have 512 ram now and with my small tracks in Sonar there is plenty of room left.

If you think 1GB would get me by on my setup of simple hymns then I can order another 512 ram for $60 and GPO and get the show on the road!!!

If I have to go with 2GB then I would have to spend $200 for my current 512 ram would have to go!!!

Well, a lot depends on your use of piano, which is a memory chomper. But if money is a bit tight, you should try with what you have. I got by with 512 Mb for a while before I upgraded to 1 Gig RAM. I do lots of piano work, sometimes solo, sometimes two pianos, lots of pipe organ, and have never had a memory problem.

I have not checked memory price lately, but the price you quoted does not sound bad if it includes installation. Acually, around here, the price would be the same with or without installation, which only takes 5 minutes or so.

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 08-23-2005 at 03:13 AM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    For what you describe, 1 Gb should be more than enough.
    Thanks loogo - this is encouraging - I'll not go more than 1 GB if that. I appreciate your "best wishes" on our family project and boy will it be a project for me and my crew!

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, a lot depends on your use of piano, which is a memory chomper. But if money is a bit tight, you should try with what you have. I got by with 512 Mb for a while before I upgraded to 1 Gig RAM.

Richard
    Hi Richard - that's even more encouraging - If I can work out buying another 512 ram that matches the specs of what I have (dual channel) at Newegg then I'll try for another extra 512 ram - if I can't match up then I'll take your advice and try my curent set up -

Thanks to both.

I started out with 1gb ram and it was enough until I began to use more GPO. I upped to 2 gigs and it made a BIG difference!
    Styxx

The only thing I'd add is that once you start using the program, you may find your instrumental desires increasing. From what you say, you have a failry simple - and not too taking - task. But, once you realize you have an orchestra just sitting there on your computer, you may find yourself thinking, "hmm, maybe just a few more stings here..." Maybe not.
    Never hurts to have too much memory - and you can always add more at a later time.

Good luck - hope it works!.

R. Pearl

I'll agree with Styxx and rpearl; 1GB seems like plenty -- at first.

When I first got GPO, I was content to use the "section" patches, but then after hearing how much more realistic it sounded when people actually took the time to build each section out of individual instruments, I started running out of memory. 2 gig makes things much nicer.

(Except that a couple of the older applications I use apparently check for installed memory with a signed long integer, which means that 2GB or greater gets interpreted as a negative number, and they refuse to run because they think there's not enough memory. )

I also expected to use only a few instruments at first, since my primary musical interest lies in the smaller ensembles of the Renaissance -- but then I got involved in a project that required the sound of a full orchestra. And I liked it.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    I'll agree with Styxx and rpearl; 1GB seems like plenty -- at first.
    Well - folks I tend to agree - I will try the 2x512's I ordered -
    I will then have the (2x256) and the new (2x512). Both are matched sets. Maybe my Abit board will allow me to put the 512's in slot 1 and 3 and the 256's in slots 2 and 4 since the way the Abit manual reads that if you populate the 1&3 with a matched set and the 2&4 with a matched set it might work and give me 1.5 GB. If not then I will either order another set of the 2x512's or send back the 2x512's and get the 2 GB's.

I guess I was just trying to be cheap!

Thanks

I'm at 1GB, and have usually done fine even with full orchestra and piano. It depends a lot on how "clean" your system is, what platform you're on, your sequencer, your tolerance for latency, and your use of plugins.

As mentioned before, Sonar's "freeze" function has been a fantastic help in those few pieces where a gig just wasn't enough... like when I add two instances of Reaktor, a StormDrum, and Battery to my orchestra!

I'd love to go up to 2GB, but I've reached the limit on my current machine. I'm starting to think about buying a super-duper audio-only machine, as soon as I can scrape up a spare $2k+. I've been looking at Sonica Audio Labs to build one for me. They seem like they know what they're doing, and the pricing is very reasonable for the power. Endorsed by Cakewalk too (which I found out later).
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I'm at 1GB, and have usually done fine even with full orchestra and piano. It depends a lot on how "clean" your system is, what platform you're on, your sequencer, your tolerance for latency, and your use of plugins.
    Thanks Sky - I'm trusting I won't outgrow the 1GB too soon.

I have an Intel 2.8, Abit Board, (2) 80 gig ATA Serial WD HD's, XP Pro, Sonar 4 Producer - I mainly use the Sonitus Plugins and the Pantheon Verb.

By the wy - you mentioned latency - is latency and issue with GPO?

I was spoiled using my midi and the JV1080 - no latency but when one goes to software synths there is that latency issue, huh?

Later

Go Back to forum