• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - OTB? Watts your favorite Band(s) today and who the heck is...

Share/Bookmark

Talking OT - OTB? Watts your favorite Band(s) today and who the heck is...

Mr. Bungle? Ha ha! My son has this nasty habit of bringing over weird and insane new music, hence this CD "California" by Mr Bungle. I have no idea how one would categorize this freakie schtuffsks!
    By the way, my favorite bands are all in the Jazz genere. Composers? Who ever suits my mood during whatever mood I may be in and usually that's a shlapschtick mood! Seriously, I spend a lot of time listening to your new compositions.
    So, Where the heck did this band come from, Mr. Bungle? I have to admit they are rather addicting. However, what they need is a good dose of GPO!
    Love music don't you! I mean, it just gets more interesting as time slides forward. Then take this forum, Please!

Underscore - NMB, grab this CD I think it is right up your .... PING!
    Styxx

Re: OT - OTB? Watts your favorite Band(s) today and who the heck is...

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mr Bungle at http://www.bunglefever.com.

I think it originally started out as a high school project by ex-Faith No More frontman Mike Patton, a man who has entirely too much talent and creative energy for one person... He's had at least four or five full-time acts in the last ten years or so, that I can think of, plus loads and loads of side projects and collaborations with everyone ranging from John Zorn to Bjork to Sepultura, and they are all drastically different from each other, and all incredibly good.

Mr. Bungle is one of my favorite Patton projects, though. I believe California was their last record, and possibly their best, but it would be worth checking out their self-titled debut. People I've played it for have described it as "circus music on acid" or "something a thouroughly demented circus clown might play."

Their second effort, Disco Volante, is a LOT more "out there," reminiscent of some of the bizarro Zappa/Mothers of Invention stuff. Namely; not at all coherent in any way, but still strangely appealing and chock full of bunches and bunches of really amazing bits of musicianship.
    www.VHEMT.org

Do your part for world peace!

And of course, I completely forgot to answer the original question...

I have a hugely varied taste in music, but some of my favorite musical groups include:

Frank Zappa
    Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Prince
    Was (Not Was)
    Shivaree
    Porcupine Tree
    NRBQ

I also love composers such as Beethoven, Stravinsky, Bartok, Frank Zappa, Charles Ives, Bernard Herrmann, and Philip Glass.

I also really love world music, such as Indonesian Gamelan music, and West African stuff such as Ali Farka Toure. Lately I've been really getting in to the Tuvan punk/folk rock group, Yat-Kha. If anyone is interested in hearing an interesting sort of fusion of ethnic Tuvan music (including loads of throat-singing) and western rock and folk, you should check out http://www.yat-kha.com for some Mp3s. I recommend their cover of Joy Division's "Love Will Tear us Apart" from Re-Covers and "Amdy Baryp" from Tuva Rock.
    www.VHEMT.org

Quote Originally Posted by hepcatzeppo
    I have a hugely varied taste in music, but some of my favorite musical groups include:
    NRBQ
    Hey Hepcat--Its good to meet another Q-head. I think they are absolutely the most under-appreciated band of all time.
    Great songs. Great Band. And I will use NRBQ and The Beatles in the same sentence. There, I just did.
    By the way, here here is a version of their "I Love Her, She Loves Me" done with GPO.

favourite bands 'of the moment' : Killers, Flaming Lips [darn, they're all yanks!]

favourite composer: Puccini

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    Hey Hepcat--Its good to meet another Q-head. I think they are absolutely the most under-appreciated band of all time.
    Great songs. Great Band. And I will use NRBQ and The Beatles in the same sentence. There, I just did.
    By the way, here here is a version of their "I Love Her, She Loves Me" done with GPO.
    I think I initially heard of them as a result of their music being on The Simpsons all the time, then came across one of their CDs at the library. After that I just fell in love. They are an absolutely brilliant band, and I think it's terribly sad that more people don't know who they are.

And, personally, I'd listen to NRBQ over the Beatles any day.

"I Love Her, She Loves Me" is one of my favorite NRBQ tunes. Definitely a cool arrangement.
    www.VHEMT.org

Motorhead - because they're funny and off their heads,

I used to prefer the first Mr. Bungle CD although the lyrics are a little explicit. It has the classic songs like Travolta, Stubb (A Dub), My ~~~ Is On Fire. Mr. Bungle is definitely demented. Just listened to Disco Volante last week. I don't really listen to much Mr. Bungle these days because of the lyrical content but they sure had some cool music.

My favorite bands at this time are mainly unheard of prog bands: The Flower Kings, IZZ, Echolyn and Spocks Beard.

I also listen to christian prog based folks such as Neal Morse (formerly of Spocks Beard). His current CD project will include folks such as Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess and Steve Hackett. Mike Portnoy has played drums on his last few projects.

Tons o Stuff.

(I filled my 40 gig iPod)

In heavy iPod rotation lately:

Amy Correia - Lakeville (An old friend who actually scored a record deal)
    James Moody - Young at Heart
    Kirsty MacColl - Tropical Brainstorm
    Massive Attack - 100th Window / Mezzanine / Protection
    Madonna (last 2 albums, love the Kraftwerk sound)
    Rob Fisher & the Coffee Club Orchestra - Shaking the Blues Away
    Metropole Orchestra - Music by Raymond Scott
    Owana Salazar - Wahine Slack and Steel
    Paris Combo - Paris Combo
    Bireli Lagrene - Move
    Wilco - A Ghost is Born
    Enzo, Enzo - Le Jour d' a Cote
    Stereo Lab - Dots and Loops

Erik

Favorite Band(s) today?

The Girlie Men Band, of course!

Go Back to forum